ScatMax vs. Pounder Max - should the scatmax really win?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by mefy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mefy

Hello,

This thread is in regards to 1v1 scenarios between a Scatmax and Pounder TR Max in close quarters(0-10meters).

My question is, should the Scatmax really be allowed to kill the Pounder Max? Right now it currently does, and does not need to reload in order to kill the other Max. Is this supposed to be intended, or is it simply a design flaw in the NC that needs to be looked at? Scatmax will win even if the Pounder Max has anchor mode(which makes him even easier to hit as well) in close quarter combat.

Now don't get me wrong I get this is a team game and all that jazz, but I don't think that is a valid argument to counter the fact that the Scatmax is able to out damage a Pounder max in CQC. If anything, this permeates in tactical team play - especially given the fact that the NC only have to pull one type of MAX for effective close quarter teamplay. Put a Quasar or a Dual Cycler Max against a scatmax in close combat and the Scatmax prevails even further in damage and sustainability.

Instead of asking Pounder/Comet Maxs' to do more damage vs. Scatmaxes, instead why not just require the Scatmax to need 2-3 more shots to kill a max at full health? Would this be truly game breaking to Scatmaxes who insist on being able to take out their AV counterpart Max on the other factions? I think not.

On the upside, would this be monumental for Comet / Pounder Maxes who SHOULD be able to take out AI Maxes who dare to toe-to-toe with them(from a raw damage/TTK standpoint, not factoring 'skill' or other subjective factors)?

Probably.
  2. FateJH

A Pounder MAX should be able to floor any AI NC MAX if it mag-dumps both arms and lands all volleys, last I checked. It will be severely wounded, but it will burn through that enemy MAX so long as it gets the first shot.
    Kinetic Armor, of course, increases survivability against the AI MAX, inconveniencing it against almost every other expected anti-MAX weapon.
  3. Silus

Give the NC a viable, good and competitive medium/long range weapon for the MAX and I'd be cool with a Scatter nerf.

Not Ravens of Falcons though. Slap a pair of SAWs to the MAX or something.
    • Up x 2
  4. Yeahy

Lets look at pounder vs scatmax at over 10 meters....
    • Up x 5
  5. FateJH

Just fix slugs on MAX arms so that they don't do wacky things when you move and you should be golden.
    Additionally, no MAX AI weapon is really very good at long range. Even the VS AI weapons become inaccurate.
  6. Hatesphere

right now it will kill most of the AVmaxes within is tiny range (if you land all shots without extended mag). that pounder max can mop the floor with it from anything but hugging distance. if you are having a lot of trouble with them throw on small arms resistance or stop trying to solo them. those shot gun mags go dry very quickly if you let a few infantry try to give him a hug first, and he needs to pretty much land every shot without extended mags to kill you.

tell me have you ever rocked a scat max?
  7. TheMish

Well in that case, it's clearly at point blank range, so...yes. It should.

But the fatal flaw with NC Maxes, is they can't fight ranged combat without Ravens.

They're unstoppable at close range, but quickly lose power at longer ranges.

Now you can argue that the Aegis shield can make it "OP' in a sense, as it can take a hell of a beating as the NC Max makes its way towards the TR one.

But the TR Max will ALWAYS out endure the NC one. The NC one is all about unleashing total hell in a short burst.
  8. SeanFree

Don't Pounder MAXes two-clip other MAXes?
  9. Silus

Single shot (Like the Falcon) AI flak canisters maybe? Travel a good distance and explode like Flak for decent damage when in proximity to enemy infantry? A pair of MAXes would be able to hold off most infantry pushes (barring other MAXes) at medium range, and a single MAX with it could use it to flush out enemies behind cover.
  10. mefy

bad idea. i think we learned in PS1 why there shouldnt be significant AOE damage from AI MAXes.
  11. Paperlamp

If the NC MAX has flak it will win. If the Pounder MAX has nano it will help but if NC MAX has ext mags probably still boned when reload happens.

If the Pounder MAX misses any shots it's boned unless the engagement is happening at a decent range, at which point the NC MAX should not be trying to shoot at the Pounder MAX but try to find ways to close gap or escape.

The main balance issue here is that a Pounder MAX loses a ton of AI potency to use an anti-MAX weapon, while the NC MAX retains its AI while being devastating against other MAXes unless they're running high rank nanoarmor.
  12. gigastar

No. You shouldnt be bringing AV weapons to an infantry fight.

Im not all that fond of NC MAXs and all thier shotguns, but im even less tolerant of Pounder MAXs trying to imitate them.
    • Up x 2
  13. FateJH

Technically, if I bring Pounders to an engagement that's because other MAXes are in theory what MAX AV weapons should be designed to counter best.
  14. mefy

This sums it up.

no.
  15. minhalexus

If they reduce Pounder Max range to 10m, then yes. Otherwise no.
    Or if they give NC max some AV potential, then yes.

Just get Kinetic armour 5, and your chances of NC maxes will DROP SIGNIFICANTLY.
    If he is running anything other than Grinder, you will most likely not die. If he is running grinder, you still have a fair chance of survival mainly depending on the Grinder Max's aim.

If they reduce Pounder Max's AI potential, then sure they can increase AV and A-Max potential.
  16. Axehilt

AI MAXes are universally way too strong against other MAXes.

AV MAXes feel about right.
  17. ThreePi

Comparing stock AI MAXes only dual grinders beat out other AI MAXes. With Extended Mags NC MAXes win, but still only under 10m. Unless you feel that NC MAXes should lose at all ranges?
    • Up x 1
  18. Jetlag

Last time I checked Pounders were anti-everything. Did I miss a patch note or something?
  19. Axehilt

By "universally" what I meant was universally. As in all AI MAXes across all factions everywhere should suck at killing other MAXes (and obviously they should suck equally.)
  20. -Synapse-

And this is a PSA why?

Oh wait, I'm on Forumside. Nevermind.