Always "Bad" connection and terrible lag spikes.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Shockerex, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Shockerex

For about a month now, the connection indicator has stayed at "Bad" with near no performance issues at first. My latency generally stood anywhere from around 40-100 ms like normal. Today, I've started receiving horrendous lag spikes, like 10K-25K ms latency and then equaling back down to the 150-250 ms mark.

If it helps any, I'm at Georgia Tech using Ethernet internet here with a speedtest showing results like this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3748434354

The ports they say that are blocked are listed here:
    https://faq.oit.gatech.edu/content/which-ports-are-blocked-inbound-border
    but these are just inbound and don't state any outbound ports. I couldn't find anything stating ports that are outbound blocked.

I've checked my anti-virus software and windows firewall to see if there could be any conflicting settings but everything is allowed in favor of planetside, including the launchpad.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. user101

sorry guy your down load is too slow... for PS2... you need a min of 1500 mbs to play ps2. Its in there spec if you hunt aound in the FAQ's. You have to be on a regular DSL to play PS2.. not a lan.

SOE states you must be on a DSL connection... ! You could get a ban by SOE.... they have done it before.
  3. Magicool

which server?
  4. Shockerex

Pal, you do realize that that speed is in the mbs right? Not kbs. Your 1500 mbs figure is faster than ethernet cable transfer speed on the market. Plus, I'm just using the internet provided by my university through ethernet ports so its still normal DSL...

Emerald but I'm fairly sure the "Bad" connection on Connery too. The lag could have been server bound, though.
  5. Legend-

you must be kidding right? I use 12 mb internet and my location is so far from connery location but I can play 200 ms with a mention "poor".
  6. user101

Nop - SOE is very specific if you use anything but DSL they can ban you. And just you know I run 140 -200ms and get a good connection on my 1.7kbs DSL .. so I don't buy this 200ms lag deal.. that's the eather net connection causing that. They have him slowed down on the either net... so he does not hog the bandwidth.

750 kbs is just a little to slow for PS2 to work correct, you need 900kbs to 1000kbs for a good down load speed.
  7. CptLegshot

Are you trolling or simply have no clue what you are talking about? 1.7kbs dsl? The ****? Who said 750 kbps? And OP has 495 Mbps download not kbps. SOE doesn't ban for not having dsl, are you ********?
    • Up x 4
  8. Shockerex

They have me slowed down??? Do you even know what that speedtest showed? I have faster internet than almost anyone in the state here at Tech, I just put that up for referencing sake. I'm going to assume you meant to put 1.7 mbs DSL because 1.7 kbs would be a slower transfer rate of data than using a floppy on a rusted port from a non-GUI computer circa-1980...

As for your figure of 900kbs to 1000kbs, you're probably right there but that's not my issue because my speeds are nearly 500x that.
    I don't understand the issue I'm having, but you have been less than helpful, especially with your DSL claims.
    • Up x 1
  9. Klagmire

MAKE IT STOP! OR more to the point make the game run like it did 2 months ago.
    I had to cancel my sub because its unplayable.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3753923884
    and that is to a server in ashburn Virginia, where emerald is.
  10. user101

[quote=" bump I don't understand the issue I'm having, but you have been less than helpful, especially with your DSL claims.[/quote]

On a "eather net" the sys admin limits each user to a max bandwidth... just because your net runs at 400mbs does not mean you get to use it a full bandwidth... they have 100's of other people on that eather net using it also. Your just reading the net speed of the eather net, not your speed allocation to your PC. Hell 400mbs is like being link to some super computer.

You need to talk to the admin and have him kick up your down load speed bandwidth. If you have 400mbs to use for down load I'll eat my hat. and 4ms is the ping distance to the master controler over the cable.
  11. CptLegshot

That speed test downloads a file to your pc to test connection speed so he IS getting 495 dload and 4ms ping from the closest test server which is named "ATLANTA, GA" in his result.
  12. user101

So what your telling me is that SOE emerald server is sitting at georga tech.... LOL..... hahhhah And no doubt that Emerald is some super computer at georga tech also... !!!!! I have a 1 ms access time to my router also... but Emerald is not out side my door.

Were talking about "eather net" not DSL.... he is seeing the ping from the end of the eather net master control
    NOT some T3 or T1 direct connect.
  13. user101

Eather net is based on time domain pings at picked point in the coax cables net. IE. bill is 4ms from the controller ed is 8 ms from the controler jim is 200ms from the controler. This is not how DSL works.... Eather net is time domain data IO, yes the net its self is 400mbs but bill only get to use a very small fraction of that band. The data burst can not exceed ed's 8ms... so bill has enough bandwidth from 0 - about 6 ms for data transfer. (eather net is very limited in data IO)

Eather net is a cheep way of putting a whole bunch of people all on the same cable. Because you only need one cable for 100's of people. They use eather net in call centers....
  14. user101

The GA tech bandwidth is about 400Kbs-600Kbs they giver you about +/-1ms of 400mbs thats not quite enough to run PS2 but its good enough to down load pictures to a PC. And do homework at GA Tech. How do you get this your divide 1ms into 400mbs.. but you only get this data burst every 4ms. A data burst can not exceed someone elses time domain.! I took a guess at this the coax is based on a 10ms times with 20% guard. As temperature changes so does the time domain, so you need some guard time in it.
  15. MajiinBuu

I get about 60 Mbps and have 160 ms on Emerald
  16. ahandyman

400mb/s in data bursts of 4ms means you're still getting... well, a 400mb/s burst every 4 ms. That's 1.6 megabytes per 4ms, or 250 mb/s. Your math doesn't compute. (400mb/s * .004ms for data transfer rate).
    Also, it's "ethernet".
    And the whole DSL banning thing? Link please?
    • Up x 1
  17. Lynxord

I'm having terrible trouble as well... I only started back up playing again about a 2 months ago. It seemed fairly fine at first but now the game is not playable due to constant lag spikes especially anywhere near large battles. VR training area is completely fine but still I never have better than "poor" connection. I notice during 2x exp weekends it works just fine and I have "good" connection... coincidence? I think not. Not that I complain about good connection during 2x exp but it appears that SOE has pretty terrible servers that they only boost when they need to. Why can't they keep it running smoothly all the time? None of my other games soak of so much bandwidth. The only one that is worse is League of Legends when my brother is playing. Clearly something has changed to make this happen because you don't just go from not having issues to having issues like that.
  18. Napsterbater

user101 is an idiot don't listen to him and just ignore him, everything he has said none of it is factual.

Also latency does not equal "speed" and vice versa.

You could have a 1 gigabit per second line and still have 200ms your destination. and you could have a 128k line and have 1ms.

Latency is base on distance and the processing speed of intermediate equipment and destination server.

"Speed" is based on how "fat" the pipes are between you and the destination, and how congested or empty they are.

Shockerex since you are on Emerald next time you get bad latency run a tracert to 69.174.216.27 and post it here.

Should look like this
    Code:
    [/FONT]C:\Windows\system32>tracert 69.174.216.27

Tracing route to 69.174.216.27 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     2 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  car1.napshome.local [10.0.1.3]
      2     3 ms     3 ms     4 ms  gpon-local.xlr8bb.com [10.40.0.1]
      3     1 ms     3 ms     4 ms  gpon-local.xlr8bb.com [172.16.1.2]
      4    16 ms    12 ms    13 ms  38.122.47.121
      5    13 ms    13 ms    11 ms  te0-7-0-5.ccr21.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .85.234]
      6    10 ms    11 ms    13 ms  level3.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.138]

7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10    28 ms    25 ms    72 ms  ae-1-80.edge1.washington1.level3.net [4.69.149.1
    41]
     11    25 ms    27 ms    28 ms  vl124.asheqnx-2.sonyonline.net [63.215.136.202]

12    26 ms    23 ms    26 ms  69.174.216.27

Trace complete.
    • Up x 1