Switching from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SynaptixBrainstorm, Sep 7, 2014.

1. SynaptixBrainstorm

Ok so first of i wanna tell you that im on a laptop. So im limited to only one hard drive here.

I was thinking about a external SSD for my games with USB3.0 but i heard this would only slow it down even more than a internal HDD, right ?

Ok so i have to, if i want a SSD, change my internal drive. The problem here is: Can somebody tell me how complicated it is to transfer my Windows from one harddrive to another ?

Im not sure if i should have open this thread here in the planetside 2 forums but it wont hurt anyone anyway so i did it.

If somebody wants to explain me how to do it step after step then feel free to do so;)

Alright thanks for reading
  2. Magicool

AFAIK you cant just "copy and paste" the OS from one drive to another you'd have to reinstall it on the new drive
  3. Myr

Generally, you can (if on windows 7 or above) go to windows backup...create a System Repair disc,
    then Create an "Image".
    Image will require an external drive (or many dvd's) larger than your current windows install/hdd used space.

Do a backup...mostly incase things so to custard, you will then have your documents/photos etc at least to bring into a fresh install of windows.

Remove original hard drive..install new hard drive..Which should at least be as large as your current hard drive to avoid issues..

Boot laptop from the System repair disc and restore "image"...

There is also the possibilty your new ssd will come with the software for a onetime "clone" of your current hdd...

There are also a few other software options out there that will backup/clone your current install for a change of hdd.

All in all...google is your friend...backup what you can't afford to lose and keep your current hdd incase it goes pear-shaped!
    • Up x 1