Automated Base Turrets (IDEA)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mukist, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Mukist

They worked really well in the first Planetside and I think they would complement this game a great deal.

Capturing a base that is completely undefended needs to be harder, I mean this is THE FUTURE. Why would there not be automated base turrets in this game.

1.) When base turrets are automated and not player controlled the damage would need to be 1/3 of the damage dealt by a player

2.) Distance from the AI to include altitude should determine whether your even fired at or if every single ground or air turret is firing at you all at once.

3.) This would give a new mechanic to base defense and base capturing. Instead of just running into a base sitting at the point taking it and then proceeding to a vantage point to camp the spawn room players would first need to take out the base defenses when there is no player presence.

4.) Infiltrators would have a whole new purpose in a squad or platoon, cloaking would still play a role in whether or not the AI could fire at you and they could go in to hack the base shields and turrets.

This idea worked very well in PS1 and I think it would be a step in the right direction for how boring capturing a base is right now, especially an undefended one.
    • Up x 18
  2. OldMaster80

Personally I would love it.
  3. Goretzu

It was a good fudge in PS1 and it would be in PS2.

The idea not being really to make them viable defences, but to just help defence and stop them being ignored, for example 1 engi now can't do a lot, but one engi keeping 3 tower AA turrets up might not kill anything, but it would likely stop some Air farming.

Now it might not be more effective than just manning 1 AA turret, but it is a lot harder for Air just spam that one turret if there is actually 3+ firing at them.
  4. Taemien

I'm going to say a big fat no on this one.

Automated turrets are probably the most frustrating thing I have found in any game they have been in. From Goldeneye 64 to Tribes 2, to MechWarrior Living Legends. They're not fun, they're not effective, and they serve no skill based solution to any issue.

The issue with attackers not facing resistance is because of a failed or most likely an unwillingness of the average player (aka the cert farming zergling) to actually defend the base. As I've said in other threads, these players don't give a damn about winning, only farming certs. So THAT is where the real problem is.

You all could see the glory of PS1 in PS2 if you just change the behavior and motivations of the average player. You need to ostracize them, exclude them, deride them, and make them feel like they are an outcast. Make them feel like it is uncool to cert farm and cool to win.

Then you'll see base defense and other proper strategies and maybe we can finally see changes down to bases to facilitate tactics and strategies, rather than catering to the cert farming zerglings.

And before anyone chimes in that they should be able to play how you wish, I'm not saying you shouldn't be a mindless drone. But that isn't going to stop me from making fun of you for it.
    • Up x 8
  5. Rtwpygbzstpqacihfd

And I'll give it an even fatter no.
    • Up x 3
  6. Yeahy

Oh god, I played ps1 for 20 minutes and those auto turrets were like h*ll on earth.

They were only balanced in tf2 because of stickys and direct hits. In a game like ps2, taking them down would be so hard.
  7. Cuban

I wouldn't mind if they had less damage when automated or lower accuracy so that not every shot hits. Also if they were implemented then there should either be a new generator in each base to power the turrets.
    • Up x 2
  8. r4zor

Their automated damage outputwas only like HALF of what it would be if they were manned. So they were far from "like hell on earth". You must be mistaking a manned turret for a non-manned one, or else I call this a flat-out exaggeration.

IMHO this would actually be a good feature for PS2. And they would of course also only engage you if you either a) attacked them or b) drove near them.
    Imagine the possibilities: "Stealth" could be tied to the range at which they would recognise and engage you and there could be added sensor-deploables that could partially counter the stealth effect.

Or as Cuban said it, they could then be linked towards a certain generator or console that controls them. This console could in turn be hacked (similar to the energy-bridge consoles).
  9. Turyen

I really like the idea because if say, a base is under defended and doesn't have enough troops to man the turrets, it'd be really cool if they could be automated and help the defense abiet with lower damage output/firing speed.

Nothing huge that would make them more viable than actually having somebody in the turret, just a little somethin' somethin' to keep the enemy on their toes and not parking right next to the gates.
    • Up x 1
  10. phreec

No thanks. It's the player's role to defend properly.
    • Up x 4
  11. Tycoh

I give this a big fat yes. Automated turrets would deter air farming and vehicles zergs enough for the player defenders to set up and defend bases from the battlements, not huddled in their spawn rooms hopping for the air zerg/vehicle zerg to disappear. It would at least give the outnumbered defenders a little more punch power against near unstoppable zergs.

If a player can't simply out smart a handy-capped AI turret, then its the player's fault for running head on at it over and over again.

Sadly it will take "too much effort" for the developers to put into the game.
    • Up x 3
  12. SwashY

Yes, this should be implemented.

All turrets should do full damage.

Anti-Vehicle Turrets should only be able to target vehicles.
    Anti-Air Turrets should only be able to target aircraft.
    Anti-Personnel Turrets should only be able to target infantry/maxes

None should be able to target cloaked units.
    Stealth upgrades in aircraft and vehicles should make a difference.
  13. Yeahy

I had no idea how to take one of them down. I would try to peak around a tree and shoot at one but it would instantly lock onto me and shoot.
    Were there even rocket launchers in that game?
  14. r4zor

See, you obviously have no clue about the game and post here as if you had ("those turrets were like hell on earth"). No personal offense but that is what really annoys the crap out of me.:rolleyes:

Yes there were ESRL (Phoenix, Lancer, Striker) and NS (Decimator), but you could also take them out with normal gunfire (just took damn long ;)) or the rocklet-rifle ("SpecialAssault").

And one major thing: They only locked on to AUTORUNNING Maxes or vehicles. Infantry only if they were stupid enough to shoot them. Crouching or using sensor shield would, however, shield you from detection unless there were motion sensors & Interlink-Facility-benefit added to the base.

TLDR: Automated turrets in PS1 were balanced and working as intended. Lower dmg output than manned and didn't attack everyone.
    • Up x 1
  15. DJPenguin

There's enough skill-less tools in this game.
    • Up x 1
  16. ZenitHMaster

I think this should be added, but powered by a "base power generator", which would control turrets and lighting
    • Up x 1
  17. r4zor

This would actually provide better gameplay. Their dmg output would be lower than if they were manned and they wouldnt attack you from 200m away.
    -This would just stop heedless AMS drivers from deploying right below turrets/basewalls,
    -this would stop heedless airfarmers from already hovering above a base's spawnroom (awaiting the re-deploying zerg to arrive) without taking care of the turrets first.

Just some ideas. Why do you think this is skill-less? It is just a MINOR asset in basedefense. The lowered damage output, together with limited range would not make bases untakeable.
    This would also allow spec-ops to prepare the next base in advance. It is just a minor and IMHO easy to add thing.

Gonna re-post from above:
    IMHO this would actually be a good feature for PS2. And they would of course also only engage you if you either a) attacked them or b) drove near them.
    Imagine the possibilities: "Stealth" could be tied to the range at which they would recognise and engage you and there could be added sensor-deploables that could partially counter the stealth effect.

Or as Cuban said it, they could then be linked towards a certain generator or console that controls them. This console could in turn be hacked (similar to the energy-bridge consoles).

What would be bad about such a proposal?
    • Up x 4
  18. day ofm one

Please no...
    • Up x 1
  19. SeanFree

Maybe if flak didn't make FPS tank but until then...nah.
  20. Yeahy

For the 20 minutes I played, yes I didn't know anything. Like you said, small arms fire did close to nothing to them and I had no idea what kind of rockets I had.

And you have to realize that there were only a few people there...its not like I had a taste of vehicle weapons or turrets with anybody in them.