change vanu magrider to a tank destroyer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Candarian, Sep 5, 2014.

1. zombielores

Technically you can, aiming slightly more to the left or right but you can't compensate for the travel time.
    You also can't compensate for the omni direction magriders strafe, or its hill climbing ability, or its stable chassis across all terrain.

Just an FYI, chassis does technically improve strafe, when you press either W or S during your A or D it makes you faster, for some odd reason, most vanu think you can only A or D when you strafe for some reason.
  2. eldarfalcongravtank

a pretty certed magrider with ap cannon already is a great tank destroyer. use its mobility and agility to its advantage, use magburner both offenseively and defensively and TAKE A SECONDARY GUNNER WITH YOU (the magrider needs the saron/halberd to be effective against other vehicles, unlike prowler/vanguard)
  3. Casterbridge

I'm confused, didn't Klypto or someone already report that the Magrider was the tank with the most tank kills per the devs?
    • Up x 1
  4. Flag

Not exactly compensating rather than trying to mitigate it.
    Regardless of how you look at it, longer time between shooting and the shot landing can't really be compensated for, as it quickly moves into the area usually covered by clairvoyance.

To give an example with some other weapons, compare the S1 to the Lancer.
    You can account for the drop of the S1, but the longer travel time.. well it doesn't take long before you're placing your trust in chance, the chance that the target won't move erratically. The difference between those is more extreme than it is between the different tank guns, but the principle is the same.

So on the technical side of things, no you can't.

Yep, most vehicle kills in a set time span.
    And the prowler is the king of AI, with the Vanguard generally living the longest.
  5. DatVanuMan

You mean to say changes are needed, please keep stating amazing improvements:p
  6. DatVanuMan

This proves that Magriders suck and only know how to dispose of allied vehicles. INSTA-NERF!:p
  7. DatVanuMan

Am I the only Forumsider who agrees with this guy?
    Because his Magrider sounds amazing.
    [IMG]
  8. Plorf

The Magrider already plays somewhat like this. The only changes I'd really want are buffs to usability (better strafing, cockpit freelook, no random blowing up...).
    • Up x 1
  9. Axehilt

AP Lightning is really the closest thing to a tank destroyer we have. Definitely provides a higher raw DPS output than the Magrider, though obviously you sacrifice health and mobility to get it.

I do think there's some interesting potential for a truer tank destroyer with even more firepower and even less armor (perhaps with fixed firing angles) but it definitely shouldn't replace a faction's main battle tank.
  10. Shatters

No it doesnt, because of the rear having less armor then the side/front....
    Also, you are forgetting about alpha damage. Magrider+AP in the back means the prowler is near-death already.

And, lets be honest, if you are 2/2 and running AP and run into another MBT that is facing you with his rear, he is dead. I never lose those fights with any of the 3 MBT's unless I already had a ******** of damage or he had allies around...
  11. DatVanuMan

And a better damned cannon:(
  12. Yeahy

-No ap cannon/sauron
    -No afterburner
    -Slight buff to fire rate
    -Damage is already slightly lower than vanguard guns
    -No bullet drop.
    -Hp nerf.

Seems like a straight nerf to magrider for me.
    • Up x 1
  13. Frosty The Pyro

And is effected by terrain MUCH less. Magriders are spider tank (this is a good thing by the way, not a complaint), they hill like champs and if they run into a hill they cant climb they can burn it. The mag is a hair slower than the Van on level ground, but once terrain starts comming into play, mags overcome by a large margine.
    • Up x 1
  14. gloowa

Magrider has none of those.

Is the slowest vehicle in game (can be certed to be as fast as Vanguard), nowhere near close to Prowler
    Has the lowest dps main gun (just a tiny bit behind Vanguard), nowhere near close to Prowler
    Has same armor as Prowler, nowhere near close to Vanguard.

So basically, Prowler has speed and power, Vanguard has armor and Magrider has nothing.
  15. Candarian

still some space to improve the damage without getting on top of the damage list

u forgot stealth(for ambush)

lightning is better for ai farming anyway(not that it couldnt have a he-gun)

and i never said it shouldnt have a second gun

and no bullet drop and higher dpm for less hp is no nerf(somehow tanks have to be balanced which the magrider isnt right now)
  16. jiggu

Welp that ended up on my favos
  17. ProfessorHobbes

Oh the magrider is a tank destroyer my friend, it is a tank destroyer...
  18. DramaticExit

lol.
  19. Yeahy

Stealth doesn't really help much when a tank can go third person and can SEE the enemy tank. Sure, you can't auto spot on the minimap, but they'll still be there.
    Right now you can just slap stealth on magrider and the mag will still be better than what you propose.

I suppose you meant remove the magburner, and give it stealth and an anit tank gun. Well, it already has an ap main cannon that is supposed to be a clone of the other factions'. Same with the Sauron, and it has a NS halbeard, which is also an anti tank gun.

Lighting is not better for AI as magrider can also get HE plus it has PPA.

Bullet drop just means that people have to aim slightly up. Fire rate is already about the same as vanguard and a bit less than prowler. If you buffed it significantly, it ROF and DPS would be too high.
  20. ColonelChingles

The Magrider has great performance metrics. ;)
    • Up x 1