Server Maintenance for Game Update August 29th

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Ashlanne, Aug 28, 2014.

1. SynaptixBrainstorm

"- Players will now be notified when the sunderer that they last spawned at has been damaged or destroyed."

Wait does that means that there will be another pop-up on my already crowded screen with all the other things?

How about making the HUD costumizable entirely? https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/operation-clear-hud.199001/

Im thinking about disabling centralized HUD but cmon thats a ****** solution:mad:
    • Up x 2
  2. Salojin

It saddens me that so many people are still running into so many issues with a game that released nearly 2 years ago, more if "Beta" time is included.

SOE, I do not recommend your game to anyone anymore, I haven't in months. I still play because it's my time sink, but I won't pay. You've lost servers due to decreasing player base which was incurred because of poor management of patch times, poorly implemented patches, and zero content being released. I've encouraged those with SOE memberships/subscriptions to end their arrangements and to simply play for free. PS2 has been treated like the simpleton Free to Play game by its developer and management staff for far too long while paying members and contributing players have been crying out on virtually every medium possible that change is desperately needed.

Now, to avoid being the annoying child who complains without offering fixes or helps on the matter, let's give polite suggestion one last time:
    Vehicle Balance is null, it does not exist, and those who stare at raw TTK data are cheating themselves if they see something there. Address that with a more effective resource system.

The current resource system puts the work of acquiring toys and bombs on the single player. In a game that tauts its multi-player/ organized angle, a single player resource system seems a backwards step. The nanite contribution system of PS1 still remains the best supply/resource option available and SOE already owns the rights to use it, so why avoid it? Embrace the things that made PS1 awesome.

The patch times are absurd. Not just for how long they take to occur, but when. Friday on Labor Day weekend was the best idea? Putting back 'major updates' for days and weeks? I don't understand how a business that runs on the contribution of massive numbers of paying players expects to gather any (players OR capital) when those players' best times to gather (weekend evenings, oddly enough) are curtailed by updates.

I wholly expect this post to be deleted for 'inflammatory' reasons, as have my previous posts. I encourage others to speak up as well. PS2 players are a dying lot, no sense going silently.
    • Up x 7
  3. meshiura

It would be nice if you could list all those new ribbons in the "statiscics/misc" section, so we know what the requirements are and how many of them we have. Just a wish.
    • Up x 1
  4. randomtree1

where is this ITS HAPPENEING GIF......
    • Players are again invulnerable inside the Warp Gates.
    was beggining to think this was a feature
    • Up x 1
  5. Dr.Destro229

can we download the update yet?
  6. OU7CAS7

Yeah, I have to say I'm getting pretty frustrated with all of these updates coming in left, right and centre.
    Yes, I know that the game needs updates to keep it going smoothly, but the latest increase in the frequency of update is quite likely sending people away from playing the game, not towards it. IMO, SOE need to review the way they handle their updates again, because they are not really doing anyone any favours at the moment.

Also, the timing on Briggs server updates during prime time is stupid. This needs reviewing, too. They need to consider setting an update period for servers that doesn't conflict with the majority of their respective users, at prime time, not doing maintenance on all servers at once. i.e. If we say prime time is 8pm - 12am regardless of time zone, work from that. There should be no need to do them all at once.
    • Up x 1
  7. Kcalehc

Not sure I like the alert change, I would rather have had player triggered alerts stay in. Up the % territory a bit to maybe 65% to trigger, and have alerts for the major facilities. I.e. A side gets all Tech Plants on Indar, it triggers a Tech Plants on Indar alert; and so on. They hold 'em for an hour and win, or don't and lose. Or even just missions for a single side, say your side loses all its amp stations on a continent, then you've an hour to get one back and get a reward for it.

My examples may not be the best, but alerts that can be triggered by player actions would make it a much more interactive experience, rather than, "oh well 2 hours have passed, lets have another alert" - which just seems rather arbitrary.

Otherwise, thanks for the Valk, and the bug fixes - looks like a lot of work went into this!
    • Up x 1
  8. venoxcc

9. ItsMrkb

10. ManInSun

Luperza was always so nice to post an ETA. Could you also do that? Please : )
  11. Salojin

Lupreza was also frequently incorrect about those ETA times. Posting those times is clearly some sort of double-edged sword.
    • Up x 2
  12. ItsMrkb

They just need make that the updates are 6AM (UTC+1) and 6AM (PDT) So everyone can play when they want. Most of us still sleep at 6AM so do it then not at 15PM (UTC +1) and such because that the time most people like to play.
  13. nathan92

14. Salojin

You're suggesting rolling updates to servers on an almost individual server to server basis? That would be nice.

I can not fathom, for the life of me, why SOE would do anything other than that.
  15. ItsMrkb

Yeah its nice cause its the truth. They could get lots of player back if they do that cause I just know they lost lots of players because of the bad time they do the maintenance. If they just do that then the game would already be so much nicer.
  16. sagolsun

Oh yeah. Because when the update involves changes to any of the common servers, ie. chat, login, payment processing, having to virtualize those to maintain two different working implementations would surely result in a better player experience and dramatically shorter downtimes. Totally with you on that one.
    • Up x 1
  17. Salojin

Perhaps, instead of being snarky, you could contribute to the larger topic at hand? SOE's current method of unloading patches is clearly sub-par. The suggested method seems viable, the counterpoints you have offered are Sony's current rationale for doing a massive update and I can understand that.

What I can't understand is why they would design a system such as that. It seems like a massive Achilles heel.
    • Up x 1
  18. ItsMrkb

They wouldn't have a longer downtime cause they just seperate the two servers, they would have it the same but just for the seperate server. Don't know about the other things actually and you can't know it to untill they tryed it.
  19. sagolsun

I agree, their deployment is kind of wonky and there's room for improvement.

I'd like to see how you addressed the problem. Can you point me to a game that uses a solution you've worked on, or is it covered by an NDA?
    • Up x 1
  20. JellyWobbler

hahahaha Awesome Picture :) (made me laugh out loud ! ) - For me its got to be my Sundy with Twin Rangers !!! I love getting my own back on all those Sythes :)

• Up x 1