State of PS2 8/25

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by d_carey, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Firejack

Have we managed to identify and fix the bug with former Woodman Outfit not appearing in the Outfit Browser recruitment tool after the merge with Miller?

Our Outfit is still missing and its a headache. We rely on 3-4 new members a month to keep our Outfit active. Currently finding it impossible to compete for new members against Outfits that are able to recruit directly using the Outfit Browser.
    • Up x 1
  2. Gribbstar

Indeed but if you get a kill with a carbine, smg, shotgun or sidearm what class are you playing?
  3. JokeForgrim

Glad to see the hitch has been fixed, all that info hopefully helped (after it was actually taken seriously). Hit reg improvements? glad to see you care about the other 20% of your playerbase that is suffering with this. 1/5th is quite a large portion.

The problem usually being that you can release patches that are game breaking (read: earth shattering on a smaller scale) and have done so since launch.

This should be a point of focus, even if you have to reward people for getting on the test server (or pay play testers) so that you can test updates on a large scale prior to 2-3 days of hell before Hotfix (was a lot worse last year pre-hotfix when we would have to wait a whole month for an update and sometimes longer before the problem was even acknowledged sometimes instead of a simple roll back).

Please try to read this positively, I have stuck around because I enjoyed this game and I see all the work and potential.

At the same time, Having a crappy user experience has lowered my play time significantly which is why I am putting some suggestions out there. I feel like when I say something positive about this game I am being a masochist and enjoying the pain. Please prove my niggling doubts wrong and remove the cognitive dissonance I feel when supporting a game a I really have enjoyed 40% of the overall time i've played.

Best notes I have read in months :D Quality of life patch 2.0, Hopefully the meeting goes well.
    • Up x 1
  4. MaxDamage

Looking forward to MAX units being reduced to 350 again, glad you realised what a mistake that was.
    • Up x 1
  5. Bumbil

I think the killboard that we can see is just a short form. Sure it's just an assumption, but i give it a try.
  6. ucanobua

all lost directive progress points are gone... neither good nor cool it is... which i was playing for damn lib lumbifier after two days that i won... its gone with irreversible condition. sadly soo sadly i dont know what i can say. wt..f
  7. DatVanuMan

Whatever you say, Carey. Take all the time you need, this game hasn't lost a single drop of awesomeness:D
    And as for the splash in VR... Sounds NICE>:] And so does everything else:)
    Keep up the amazing work, man. We're here for you:cool:
  8. Tiedemann

Stable servers (latency and the whole package) and better client performance is what I need the most. New features can wait if you ask me. There's been a long time since the optimization patch(es) and it's starting to feel like it too.
    • Up x 2
  9. JokeForgrim

I think the point he was originally getting at with "meh patches and constant bug fixes" was the opposite perspective.

Releasing lackluster patches, then "bugfixing them 3 months later" all the while people are suffering through those bugs (or not playing due to them) is a bad business model.

Sure its great that they are bugfixing, I assume players just wish it was on the test server not on live. That was the point of the test server (to test for bugs) so that the horrible crap that went live prior to the test servers existence (i.e. bugs that took 1 patch to break and 6 months to recover from) would not happen again.

This is the reason the quality of life patch gave so many players hope. The problem has been all the fresh bugs introduced right away, so no one had time to enjoy the decent quality of life after that patch for more than a month.
    • Up x 1
  10. cruczi

I think they do use the test server for that purpose. Some bugs just don't always surface on the test server. The number of users and the traffic on live can quickly reveal bugs that would've revealed on the test server weeks later if ever.

Also, it's a balancing act. They have to add new stuff to keep the game interesting, but they can't delay additional content forever. Sure, a lot of people say they want features that are implemented bug-free - and I'm one of them - but I'm not convinced it's always best for business. So while I'm agreeing with you, I kind of understand SOE in this respect.
  11. Ronin Oni

Over-react much?

Just how much progress towards directives could you really lose? If you have as little playtime as you claim, it can't be much.

So it launched buggy and had issues, being web dev you should be more than understanding of that.

They've talked about some sort of cert grant to those with lost directive progress to reduce the sting, and since you're a lesser gametime player, I'm assuming free certs is probably better for you than 2% progress on a directive that will take you a year to complete + 1 whole week now because of this.
    • Up x 1
  12. JokeForgrim

This is the reason I suggested they incentivise the Test server. I have said that even since it was a [suggestion] in the long dead forums. You could get a lot more people play testing if they had a reason. I'm not talking a free glowing gun or camo. Must play x amount of hours and report x ammount of bugs, then receive $20 SC. Something like that. Even offer a couple of the bigger outfits a prize (MLG style) to go 1v1 on the test server. I guarentee if it was livestreamed they would be able to see the bugs.

Anyway as I have said, while I love this game. the test server has been nothing but a joke. Its a way to waste 20GB and go find out about the bugs a week before they come live, and a month (at least) before they are fixed. I have only seen 2 game updates that have been pulled from test before going live. If it really was a test server, this would happen a lot more frequently.

People said that "adding stuff to keep interest" to me back in the day. I am not a 8yr old with ADD (not that there is anything wrong with that), I dont need new things to keep my interest. The game I played 2 years ago was interesting enough, all the stuff that has been added where just annoyances. Read Engi AV turrets, Max update, Harrassers, ESF update and so on. I mainly play light assault, as the only patch that has had was Sound effect being added, and nanoweave nerf.

That is just my opinion and I can see while we agree on not being annoyed, we disagree on most else seemingly. Anyway, just thought I would explain to you what I read in that comment. This is my actual perspective on the state of the game.
    • Up x 1
  13. Gribbstar

Certs? Being BR100 (in fact a virtual BR154 according to Dasanfall) and owning every certification I want so far, they mean nothing to me.

Little playtime? I never said that, in fact at a total of 2435.9 hours played, I'm far from it. However it is still time where I could or maybe should be doing something else, thus it is wasted when things I'm working towards reset.

I'm also around $800 (£480) invested into the game through SC and membership purchases. I have absolutely every right to react in whatever way I damn well please.
  14. Pootisman

15. John4300

Well, this would explain the surprise I had as I logged in today. I am so used to the 5 min waiting times (and multiple attempts) that I just clicked login and was going to get something to drink etc, and to my surprise, the game logged right in before I even got up from my chair. Right in the middle of the prime times at around 10PM my time. I was truly astounded. To celebrate this I played for a good 3h½ and the game worked without a hitch, giving me a good 80-150ms latency as it tends to give depending on the size of the combat. And I had my mate playing at the same time, too, so that's with a shared connection mind you.

So yeah, I'd say either I was one lucky fellah or your fixes indeed have done something positive to the login at least, and perhaps even to the latency. So hey, that's something worth to give a pat to the back for your code monkeys.

Keep up the good work.
    • Up x 1
  16. AdmiralArcher

will the scope fix be in this wedensday too?

do you guys have an idea of what is causing the degrading preformance?
  17. Bindlestiff

That sucks. As I've said before, people have spent a lot of time in this game, time that no incentive is going to replace or make up for. No certs, no double XP, no depot discount, no <insert other incentive here>.

Beyond words to describe how disappointed I am.
  18. Gleerok

Thank you for keeping us informed. Your customers witness the hard work you put into this game, and I, as a customer, surely appreciate the communication ! This approach, the hard work, and awesome game is what make you guys stand out. Even when things go bad here and there, I am confident you will eventually figure it out. <3
  19. Coldmeister

Can we PLEASE get an update on when SOE Recruit Rewards will be available again? Repost this if you agree!
  20. UnDeaD_CyBorG

While not unexpected, it's kinda irritating to see people call the time spend on directives as "wasted", as if they were somehow forced to play PS2 and didn't enjoy themselves at all.
    Also, thanks for the update!
    • Up x 2