Armchair generals

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Aug 24, 2014.

1. PraiseTheSpandex

Does he sound like someone who's fun to hang out with?
  2. Lamat

The game doesn’t really incentivize players to fight for territory, it incentivizes you to get kills and blow stuff up. The stats viewable to all, incentivize you to play for KDR etc as these are the only things that will still be with you long after this battle is won or lost and forgotten about. This is the current issue with getting the game to be played as it was intended.
  3. SevenTwo

That is a legitimate issue, but the advantage of owning the base should make up for any single sum reward for taking the base.

Ie. if your force is large enough to setup effective firing lanes to destroy invaders where they enter the base with a sfficient volume of fire to repel the attackers for any amount of time, doing so would generally earn a player more xp than the individual attacker is rewarded for taking the base.

Problem is that both bases and player mindsets don't really contribute to that achieve that balance - typically most fights end up where your side easily defends a base or gets absolutely crushed, either due to the base geography being lopsided in favour of either side or population imbalances. There's rarely a "middle ground" between those two extremes, which is what you'd normally consider a "good fight".

Spawn room camping is just a symptom of the general design philosophy in which players can spawn anywhere, can spawn quickly, can pull the exact class/vehicles they want and resources are only limited by the number of players is capable of shoving into each fight.

As for people telling other people what to do in Proxy chat, it's always a matter of perspective. Sometimes you really could flip the situation around by making a joint push out of a spawn room (or using tunnels/jump pads in the larger facilities), but don't because people are sitting inside the spawn room instead of actually participating in a push. Other times it won't make a difference and no amount of yelling will make the situation any more winnable.
  4. MajiinBuu

How to play every first person shooter ever: shoot the guys on the other team. How each individual does that is up to them. 1 guy killing enemies is much better for the war than one squeaker killing all allies and no enemies. And you can't win the war, that should be obvious.
    Teamkilling ruins the game for everyone. Just because there is no right way to play, doesn't mean there aren't wrong ways to play. If your playstyle negetively affects your allies, you are playing the wrong way.
    Maybe this game isn't for you. Let the sheep have fun and quit trying to be the shepherd.
  5. Huxer

You are not giving a convincing argument. Just because you feel the point should be saved doesn't mean I need to save the point. You are very angry and tryig nto use that to convince me but I'm here to tell you that I'm not a brainwashed commie so, sorry man, no deal.
  6. ColonelChingles

For argument's sake, can't we also say that the playstyle of the spawnroom warrior negatively affects their allies because it prevents the completion of the objective?

Thus wouldn't the playstyle of the spawnroom warrior be just as wrong a playstyle as the serial teamkiller?
  7. Lamat

This is another problem with letting people play all the factions on the same server, it promotes even less faction loyalty. You switch back and forth and you aren't on a "team" anymore then you start to think more selfishly. It ruins the integrity of the game.
    • Up x 1
  8. Eyeklops

There are times to spawnroom warrior, and times to push the point. Here are a few hints.

If your empire dominates the hex's population: PUSH!
    If seriously outnumbered, and the spawn room is surrounded by motionless enemy staring at it: Get a bolt action and farm.
    If at a facility that has a teleporter leading to a semi-secure indoor area: Try to push.

If you're at a facility and you hear me say "STOP SHOOTING OUT THE #$#^&%'ing WINDOWS AND GO THROUGH THE TELEPORTER...it's safe on the other side and close to the point. For Christ sake we have ^%#$^@^%*^$ 55% pop in the hex...we shouldn't be losing this!!!!!" that probably means you still have about 15 seconds before I set off my C4.
    • Up x 1
  9. NoctD

A shooter will always be this way - even in a persistent world MMO. And with the stupid continent locking and alerts and WGs rotating up the wazoo, fighting for territory control has become even more meaningless. SOE should just stick a fork in alerts and continent locking right now and disable them entirely. At least that will restore some persistence to Auraxis, and you don't get your progress reset all the time.
  10. Metcal

I wouldn't say that it prevents allies from completion of the "objective" at all.
    Allies can go do it. It's like they're not there at all, no effect.
    Could even be argued it has the positive effect of keeping the enemy that is suppressing them preoccupied and away from the "objective".
    I quote objective as that is arguable and for the most part a personal determination in the enjoyment of a game.

I'm not defending the "spawn room" warrior as I don't believe they need any.
    Not a play style I engage in myself but I care squat about those that do.
    I believe that for PlanetSide to prosper in this genre it needs to be inclusive and tolerant of differing play styles and I believe that is the intent of the game.
    I would rather have inclusive numbers than exclusive numbers.
    It is really not hard to be responsible for your own enjoyment and find those with that or those play styles somewhere while in-game.

There are pages of qualifying statements that could be made if I had to lawyer up about this post but I'm not into it.
    i.e. what about TK play style etc.?
    Should be obvious of my intent ;)
    • Up x 1
  11. ColonelChingles

I mean if there's a continent queue (which there often is on my primary server, Emerald), and I had a 48 person member platoon ready to hop on the alert continent, wouldn't my tactical 48 person platoon be prevented fro meaningfully contributing to the fight by 48 spawnroom warriors already on the continent?

Likewise if I look over and see that my faction has 51% of the population in a hex, I might not send in my 48 person platoon because "the blueberries can probably hold it". But if half those people in the hex are spawnroom warriors, then we will end up losing the base because no competent reinforcements will arrive.

Finally spawnroom warrioring is infectious and destroys morale. There are plenty of times when I've been in a fight where the attackers are significantly outnumbered (more than 10%), yet they are winning the objective. New players spawn in, see spawnroom warriors at work, and automatically assume that attacking is futile. The result? More spawnroom warriors.

Spawnroom warriors take up space, which in turn prevents the arrival of actual reinforcements through continent queues as well as population misinformation. It's not like they're not there at all, they're actually "taking up space" when we might actually need those numbers for something. There are definitely negative effects of spawnroom camping on the playstyle of others, which prevents them from completing the objective.

Honestly in the movie "Battle Royale 2" they had an interesting mechanism to "motivate" their soldiers. Bomb collars to their necks, and certain "zones" of the battlefield would set off the bombs. These zones would increase over time, forcing soldiers to the objective. PS2 could borrow this system, where every 30 seconds or so the painfield on spawnrooms would also fatally damage friendly units inside, forcing them to exit in a wave.
    • Up x 1
  12. Lamat

Maybe it should say on the map how many of your allies are in the spawn room and how many are snipers.
  13. Metcal

Or how many are repairing turrets that u don't think time should be spent on
    or messing with implants that u don't believe are usefull
    or messing with certs alotments or SC purchases that you feel should be done at "off" hours
    a large Outfit has an objective and all those not supporting, well, we've seen that
    and on, and on...
    Just soooo many things that different people can feel are not useful to their objective in the game at differing moments.

I'm not trying to be nasty Chingles or meant to call you out specifically on anything but I thought it was a good lead in about some of the temperament expressed in this thread.
    I knew the Continent queue point of view was coming, I'm just not feelin' it.
    I know the number is finite but with the different continents and overall scope of the game I just don't think the exclusive is worth the trade off to the benefits of inclusive.
    • Up x 1
  14. BuzWeaver

It makes them feel better? Ironically, it would appear some people need this level of incentive, however since I was the one who paid for the game I just go about my own business.
  15. Lamat

It's definitely silly to get upset over that's for sure. Most people in the world are dummies, it's amazing to me how the world of human beings continues to operate day to day yet alone players in a video game.
  16. Plunutsud pls

[IMG]
  17. Tuco

Actually I don't spawn room warrior much, but I use my team braindead zergfits to my advantage.

-When a braindead zergfit leaves the area, I put 5 mines and 3 claymores on the ground for the enemy victors.
    -When a braindead zerftit moves into an area and starts to grossly outpop the enemy, I move out.
    -When a braindead zerfit gets bogged down in a spawn room, terrain permitting, I get my lockdown prowler and kill about 20 tanks and sunderers from 600 meters away. And this is where I get most of my certs. The hammer and the anvil, the spawn room warriors are the anvil locking the enemy down in one place, I am the hammer hitting them in their rear armor while their attention is focused on the spawn room. So to say that being the anvil is the "epitome of uselessness" displays your inablity to understand tactics.

Braindead zergfits are like my little pet and I would get very little certs if it weren't for them. Sometimes I wonder, "Hey, if only a couple more lockdown prowlers and a skyguard were with me, we could kill THEM ALL." But then it occurs to me that all the organized ones are with the braindead zergfits doing what their braindead leaders tell them to do: human wave tactics, zero recon, zero economy of force, and redeployredeployredeploy.
  18. Tuco

I have a really difficult time caring about the map when the 3 biggest zergfits on TR Connery continuously charges down the middle of the map between the VS and NC, splitting them, and forcing them both to attack the TR simultaneously to where we're almost warpgated 40 minutes later.
  19. celem

We have become so inured to the concept of 'grind' that its expected everytime we fire up a new game and we barely blink.

Not everyone is a great FPS player and struggles to maintain anything like 1.0 KDR. In a pubbie brawl with sporadic medics you get a lot of real deaths. So yeah, I see why its nice to stand behind the shield and take potshots, trying to grind out some kills.

I'm one of those guys, I suck. But it never ever crossed my mind to snipe through the shields, even when I learned I could.

Why? What happens? You maybe get a kill and some assists, but you get shutin, facility falls and the room is rushed, you port away with an instant action or something. Boring. I'd rather rush and die 10 times for 1 kill and an inch of ground. Who exactly is looking at my damned KDR anyway? Me. And I dont give a ****.

Rush, die, dont score kills because you cant shoot, but base caps and defends are probably worth more than your flailing through the blue haze will achieve, and the mircale of mircales. You will actually learn to play well. Fighting from the shield will teach you absoloutely 0. Infact, barring the few players doing this properly with heavy-grade weaponry and some skill you should probably just all go medic already. And medics in the spawnroom can go play minecraft.
  20. MajiinBuu

If you don't like how other people are playing, feel free to leave anytime ;)