Armchair generals

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Fleech

lots of armchair generals barking orders into the prox chat seemingly unaware of just how little attention is payed to these kinds of people.

"GO GET OUT OF THE SPAWN ROOM! WHY ARE YOU ALL IN HERE! WHY AREN'T YOU OUT THERE GETTING FARMED!"

"GUYS WE HAVE TO PUSH UP"

trying to direct players in this game is like herding cats. i'm not sure what these people are trying to accomplish by stating the obvious very loudly over prox chat. not sure what i'm trying to accomplish by making this post. just seems odd that some players feel their terrible strategy is more valid than other peoples terrible strategies.
    • Up x 1
  2. ColonelChingles

Those armchair generals simply need to be a little more Soviet about getting things done. I've always preferred:

"Your attention please. This spawnroom has been saturated with C4, AT mines, and other assorted explosives. In 10 seconds they will be detonated. Please form up for an assault on the enemy. Your attention please. In 9 seconds..."

:p
    • Up x 34
  3. Celenor

SOE has delivered a game that supports things like firing out of the safety of the spawnroom for kills, whereas defeating the enemy is of little value and, in fact, results in whining because if you push the enemy away, you ended the fight and stopped the cert farming.

Oh, the days of games like BF1942, where you simply had access to all the weapons and no need to gain exp/certs/etc.
    • Up x 13
  4. Ztiller

If one strategy is to push towards the objective being captured, and another straategy is to sit in the spawnroom padding your K/D, then yes. One strategy is more valid than the other. And since the spawn-room warriors obviously doesn't get it themselves, someone have to tell them.
    • Up x 2
  5. iller

I'll take those guys any day of the week over the ones I hear in Command Chat...
    • Up x 9
  6. DFDelta

Well, those armchair generals do have a point.

If those 20 guys camping inside their own spawn would stop plinking away at the one moron every minute who is dumb enough to walk in front of the shield, and if they instead would regroup in another base to grab some AV vehicles to kill the farming tank zerg (fun fact: 90% of all farming tank zergs are easy targets if flanked) they would make a lot more certs.

They are trying to help you.

And that way you'd even help towards the objective.
    • Up x 12
  7. Zeppelin123

We are all armchair generals here.
    • Up x 5
  8. Teshrrar

Can you see the problem? It's not the player who want play the game as it suppose to be played, but the common FPS player.

I'm one of those players who rage while my faction is being dominated, rap**. I hate lose without fight, try. Even in a game like PS2 where "win/lose" means nothing in terms of numbers, but the players who only see and play by this nothing piss me.

PS2 should be a strategic game. Fight for a faction should means something more than a personal point that nobody else care except the own player. This passive/individual behavior in a war game which makes my play sessions end.

You see a 70% enemy situation and note which they have not even a single trace of tactic, strategy. You realize which with a little organization you can hold the base. Then you see a lot of allies doing pointless moves or nothing for the faction. Man, this kill me. As the gigantic numbers of kamikazes...

Planetside2 promised a sandbox war world. War means strategy, tactic. Free decisions. PS2 appear just be a super huge deathmatch themepark, with no virtual soldiers, but FPS players grinding numbers. Capture, defend a base isn't a war decision, a fight for your faction sovereignty, it's just a way to increase your numbers.

They tried make a big RTS world for the players. The players decide which they will be the single unity forgotten instead have tactical relevance, that unity which you just note that you have when the 199/200 claim for attention. The point here is: 199 are the forgotten unities in PS2. Sad.
  9. Celenor

Part of the problem is the developers, who promote the common FPS player gameplay through shields that can be fired out of, pain fields, all the things that entice a player to shield camp for KDR. Boosting the durability of sunderers for "stable fights" demonstrates this. Nothing that SOE does entices a player to respawn at the nearest back and counterattack.
    • Up x 2
  10. Spoof

You're getting it off your chest, which is good. So much frustration in this game, it's a real love/hate relationship.
    • Up x 2
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

everyone plays the game the way they like it. if they want to be spawnroom warriors all day, let them.

rather, it's SOE's fault for not removing shooting through spawn shields early enough. now i think it's too late to remove since many people have gotten used to it
  12. Sixstring

The devs have got to start kicking people out of the spawn rooms end of story. It's too dishearting watching so many people needlessly camp in the spawn or at choke points while the base just gets capped,this makes me logout more often than anything. Another thing they could implement is reinforcement points on the mini map that give a Cert when they are reached so they could gradually move people forward with a carrot on a stick. For the love of God anything that will make individual players support their faction as a whole I am all in for.
  13. Pikachu

Give no xp or positive change to kdr for people shooting <5m away from spawroom and the same for attackers shooting people <5m from spawn room. F yeah.
    • Up x 3
  14. _itg

People sit in the spawnroom because they want to defend the base but they're not part of a coordinated squad, and if you're not part of a coordinated squad, that's often the best thing you can do. If you run outside by yourself, you're dead. If you redeploy and pull a tank by yourself, you certainly can't bring it to the fight you left.

Those people who shout orders in proximity chat could probably do better shouting "I'm forming a squad to make a coordinated counterattack. Here's how to join:" That gives anyone in that spawnroom who wants to be effective but doesn't have the support an option. And presumably anyone who joins the squad is going to actually pay attention to orders.
    • Up x 5
  15. DatVanuMan

When I came to this thread, I thought you wanted to introduce a general class. I was wrongXD
    But I understand what you mean. Lots of those guys on Emerald.
    • Up x 2
  16. Matt879

It's better to yell at them to get the hell out of there and try to push than just let them farm a few certs from the spawnroom achieving nothing and then redeploying when it's almost capped.
    • Up x 1
  17. Nexus545

Actually shouting in proximity chat does work. Even using /re works. If you manage to make 3 of the 10 people sitting doing nothing do something, that's three more people actually doing something.
    • Up x 3
  18. DFDelta

Probably true.

But even alone you can spawn back a base, grab an AV lightning and go hunting.
    I've done it before, and I've gotten 4+ tank kills more then once that way. Probably made more certs then all the spawnroom heroes combined on those runs.

Tank zergs often are not really coordinated either, and if you hit the ones furthest back while staying out of radar range the others standing directly next to your target often don't even notice you hitting their friend.

Hell, once I've seen a single sneaky prower kill at least 15+ tanks in a single spawn that way. (I was an Infi sitting not too far away from it, screaming "Prowler north" in /re. Sadly no one cared. Or maybe /re didn't work once again.
  19. ColonelChingles

I know, right? That's why SOE should disable friendly fire weapon lock. If the way I like to play the game is to kill spawnroom warriors all day, then SOE should let me!

What? You mean the way I like to play the game would interfere with how spawnroom warriors would like to play the game? :eek:

Well when spawnroom warriors do their spawnroom warrioring, doesn't that prevent me from launching aggressive, coordinated assaults on the objective (which is what I would prefer over summary executions of spawnroom warriors)? ;)
    • Up x 3
  20. BobSanders123

If moron pubbies would actually listen to these guys and make an organized charge in the right situation, bases could be taken back.
    • Up x 7