ESF A2AM are worthless.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NightShift, Aug 23, 2014.

1. NightShift

So haven't played in a few months come back and get on my NC guy i get the A2AM for my ESF and IT F'ing sucks.. i have to be right on top of them i might as well just shoot them what was the reason for this? it's AIR TO AIR its suppose to be a ranged engagement..

Why is the gun better at long range and the missile that was designed and meant for long range is not.
    This really pisses me off I shouldn't have to cert to max just to lock on to people 5 meters away it's kinda ********.

Neft the damage or some **** but bring back the range.
    • Up x 2
  2. NightShift

i kinda want my certs back for this worthless thing and my SC
  3. NightShift

so F'ing mad about the A2AM there useless its like i have to fly right into the and open my window and throw it out at them..
  4. minhalexus

They're still very good.

Gives you a good edge in dogfights.
  5. BobSanders123

Have you tried coyote missiles? They are god. And controversially noobish.
    • Up x 1
  6. Nexus545

Smells like troll in here...

And should this be genuine then all I can say is that they are far from useless. In fact they are great for chasing enemies down and for long range ESF combat.
    • Up x 3
  7. Maljas23

A2Am are OP in one thread

A2Am are worthless in another thread
    • Up x 18
  8. Leftconsin

I have not used lock-ins recently due to being out of town and on a minecraft binge. Are lock ons still bugged and work 'when they feel like it?"
  9. Tommyp2006

There is one thing they're really good for, stirring hate tells.
    • Up x 8
  10. entrailsgalore

Is this a troll thread? I can't tell. When you understand the role of Lock-Ons on ESFs, then you will understand that they can be OP. Lock Ons are not melee range dogfighting tools, that is what your main gun is for. Lock Ons are there to either force a target to pull back, force a target to turn around and fight you, or as a Wing Man style weapon, where you fly high, let your squad mates engage in close range hover-fights, while you sit back and lock on. They are also good for chasing ESF's who are fast than you, as they can only try to dodge your lock, otherwise you can get a missile up their tail every 2 or 3 seconds or so.

If you are complaining about how you have to keep your crosshair on the target in order to maintain a lock, then you need to work on controlling your aim. Yes you have to do it every time you want to lock on, that is just the way it is, either learn to adapt, or get left behind.
  11. Cyrek

OP is a concealed PREY alt.
    • Up x 1
  12. DorianOmega

13. Yeahy

It sucks in 1 on 1 but if 2 enemy esf's are fighting you can just aim at one and kill him. It plays a supportive role against enemy air or to complement your rotary given that your enemy doesn't outmanuever you using his afterburner pods.
  14. Colt556

A lot of people actually feel the way he does, just not necessarily about the same thing. He bought a weapon back when it was good, he quit for a while, he comes back and the weapon he bought has been nerfed and is ****** compared to what it once was. I had the same feeling with some of my weapons, like my enforcer. When I bought the enforcer it was a single shot, minimal drop fast moving missile that hit like a truck AND could lock on to enemy ground vehicles. I come back and find my enforcer is basically a ****** rapid-fire halberd.

It really is poor taste for SOE to sell things and then radically change them without refunds. People have said this since beta. If you're gonna completely alter how something works you should at least refund it. I bought the enforcer because I liked the way it worked, now it isn't even remotely close to the way it worked, it's essentially an entirely new weapon that I didn't necessarily want and that I sure as hell didn't buy. People have a right to get mad when SOE screws them over like this.
  15. NightShift

No there not you might as well just shoot them.
  16. NightShift

Im not trolling and its pretty bad if you think i am the A2AM are worthless the range is **** and the fact you have to aim your whole fighter at them is also ********. its completely worthless and it pisses me off they they just nerf **** over and over again instead of telling people to deal with it.
  17. NightShift

ON a 1 v 2 A2AM are worthless you will do more DPS and damage with your gun always bin like that..

But as a support roll is why i just got them for my NC guy And the range is 100 +10 for my 1st upgrade on range i have to get so close i might as well just shoot at it once again. support is someone who isn't in combat.. the A2AM are basically you with a bat hanging out of your window. calling it support.
  18. Colt556

I think A2AM should have a base range of 300-500 meters. Missiles are always meant to be long range weapons no matter what setting they're in. I can't think of even one setting where missiles were intended to be short range weapons. You're suppose to do one of two things with A2AMs, you either hang back and rely solely on your missiles or you pop one or two off on your approach and finish them off with your rotary.

The sky knights hate the very existence of the weapon but from an objective view the A2AM don't fulfill their role of being the strongest A2A weapon. If a bloody rotary is stronger at A2A than the specialized anti-air only weapon, something's wrong. It'd be like a HEAT turret doing more damage to tanks than an AP turret, it's just wrong. So a simple fix would be buffing the range of A2AMs so that they can be used outside of rotary range. A rotary is a jack of all trades weapon capable of hitting everything from infantry to galaxies, the A2AM are a specialized weapon intended to kill other air vehicles, in this regard it should be vastly superior to a rotary, if it's not then it's broken and needs to be buffed.
  19. Silkensmooth

They do suck if you intend to have fun.

If you enjoy using easy weapons that require no skill and guarantee hits, then locks are for you.

If you don't give two poopies for anyone besides yourself, coyotes and locks are for you.

If you enjoy trolling others then locks are for you.

Most boring and OP game mechanic and one which if removed would produce a massive influx of old players who universally despise these mechanics.

This game could be so much MORE if they cut out all the cheese. But cheese sells. Says a lot about what kind of people are playing the game when half of them are running coyotes are a2a missiles. No challenge wins and farming are more important than fun and good fights.

And that is mainly the devs fault. All they have to do is make a ton of different noseguns, just like infantry have tons of different machine guns to choose from. None of them lock on and yet people still buy them.

The problem with locks are obvious, but one that isnt mentioned is that the flying game isnt just about aiming. Being good at dogfighting means being good at dodging enemy fire. So it adds another dimension to the game. When you get your aim down then you work on your dodging. Both require so much skill and your enemies are always improving so that the ceiling can never really be reached. Which means that there is always room for improvement.

A2A missiles and Coyotes remove dodging from the equation. The create a situation of complete helplessness in a lot of circumstances. Times when there is absolutely nothing you can do. There is no skill that you can work on to perform better against these weapons. Your opponent doesnt have to improve to be at max efficiency.

The whole dynamic is ruined. Nosegun vs nosegun you see people improve. Some guy you used to kill with ease suddenly is dodging better and landing more shots so that your skills can never remain static. You have to constantly improve. The challenge remains high.

A2A missiles and coyotes offer none of that. They are easily mastered to the highest level of mastery possible, in a very short time. They offer no challenge, no room for impovement.
    • Up x 2
  20. minhalexus

No, it doesn't.

I do use the A2A, and their balance is just fine. They are arguably in the range of "Default nose-guuns" but against Rotaries they give the user a distinct advantage.

I use them often, they do not need a buff. If you're on Emerald, I can show you how good they are.

I remember the time when they were vastly superior to the Rotary, there were nerf threads everywhere. It used to be a skill-less fight, always favoring the person who saw you first, and no chance of countering.