Sick of Light Assaults.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plorf, Aug 23, 2014.

1. libbmaster

This man gets it.

When I saw this thread, I loled. It's finally come full circle.

All the classes are OP and hated... :D
    • Up x 5
  2. AdmiralArcher

well............after playing all of the classes more, i realized that C4 is a nessecary evil, because its really the only way to kill a MAX unit reliably (unless you have an auto shotgun)

the jump jets should be renamed to jetpacks, and then they should add actual jump jets into the game (insane burst of vertical and slightly horizontal thrust, but not a continuous burst) then they should make jump jets the default mechanic. merge drifter jump jets and the jetpack and make it a toggle.........that would make things more interesting

the Light assault really isnt meant to play as a team, its for getting in and going places to kill the enemy any way you can.

shotguns are hard to balance.....which is why they are fine as they are now....they loose effectiveness beyond 10 meters for the most part anyways

i do think that the Light assault needs akimbo pistols.....even if its an NS weapon (akimbo repeaters or desperados would be a little too powerful)
  3. whiteshadow2000

LA's are annoying yep.

HA's are annoying, they can just turn on the 'i win' shield and kill you.

Max's are annoying, they are more durable and can spam OP weapons at you.

Inf's are annoying, they can creep up on you without you noticing easily.

Medics are annoying, they can revive people that you shot and heal themselves while under fire.

Engineer's are annoying, they can stand behind their OP turrets with dodgy hit detection, protecting them around the shielding.

I know let's just get rid of EVERY class in this game cos they're all OP and you have to use situational awareness as well as skill to counter them effectively, or god forbid actually choose the best class for certain situations.

I give up.
    • Up x 4
  4. Malcmodnar

We had that, actually. It was called the Icarus, and it... didn't exactly work.

The problem is, the server has a hard time handling someone accelerating that quickly. It broke hit detection, so it was removed before the game launched.
  5. Plorf

Thanks for the feedback! Reading this post made me a little more at-ease, and I definitely agree on your point about shotguns. Honestly, I hate the things and would be fine if they removed them from the game, but that's not being realistic. I figured my idea was a compromise of nerfing their power but buffing their usability.

I keep hearing about how jetpacks were really loud before, and I wish I had been here for that. It would be nice to have that perspective. But right now, as someone who considers himself an aware player, I still can't reliably hear jetpacks. I thought Infils were OP until I learned their audio cues, and I'm still waiting for that "a-ha" moment with Light Assaults.

Honestly I think C4 is only really great in the hands of skilled players, but I think the ability to toss it gives too much reward for too little risk. In fact, I'd be willing to give it a slight buff to radius perhaps if it wasn't throwable. But right now I disagree on its uselessness.

Light Assault should be a class about fun, and I honestly believe that by doing some of the changes I thought of, it would be more fun to fight and worth pulling more often.
  6. AdmiralArcher

yeah.....i remember........i just miss my jump jets from Star wars battle front :(
    • Up x 1
  7. DirArtillerySupport

Not at all against anything the light assaults do in combat. From a design standpoint I just think they make the game look silly. The promo video was cool and all but the reality in-game is quite different. Watching people float around slowly drifting on a soft breeze while they drop C4 like seagulls makes my stomach turn.

There was a tightrope walker bug many moons ago that closely resembles what I'm seeing but this drifting business is by design. It still looks like people are walking on invisible foot bridges in the sky...more Ralph Hinkley than Boba Fett.
    • Up x 1
  8. Noooooch

Light Assault is my favorite class, and I have died so many times trying to toss some C4 against an enemy huddle around a regeneration field. Using C4 can be extremely risky, imo. What makes it so risky is that you cannot wield your primary or secondary weapon before planting C4. It has to equipped and then unequipped leaving the player defenseless for several seconds which is PLENTY of time for him to get killed.

Apart from the C4, playing as a Light Assault can be very frustrating at times. While a LA totally breaks map flow like you mentioned, and can reach extremely advantageous positions, he is a prime ******* target in the meantime. LA's can't aim down sights mid-air and their cone of fire practically DOUBLES. They don't earn much points like medics or engis do either, so it really thrives on a LA's ability to get sheer kills. Even then, there's no ammo on rooftops. They eventually WILL have to get down for ammo or for healing. A good light assault player knows when to **** the roof anyway.

Like others have said, just be more aware. Remember they are the weakest mid-air but the most dangerous ONLY given they have the right angle on a rooftop. Also, apart from the rooftop's verticality, LA's literally have ZERO cover on rooftops.
  9. Noooooch

Oh also. If you're like... that sick of light assaults... well then... you know what the best way to kill a light assault is right? Play light assault.

Join us.
    • Up x 1
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

a shotgun nerf thread in disguise? :eek:

how about no! shotguns already require you to get superclose to enemies, plus they have limited killing potential per magazine. a carbine can easily kill 3 people, an lmg can mow down half a squad, but a shotgun usually gets one kill before reloading because it requires you to spam a lot

moreover, let your opponent step outside the 10 meter engagement radius and shotguns become extremely ineffective. meanwhile, automatic guns are effective AT ALL RANGES and also have higher killing potential per magazine! is this really balanced? imo, it's not. if anything, i would keep shotguns' lethality at closerange and extend it a bit to medium range. make them a bit more rewarding to use up to 15 meters. or increase magazine size by 1-2 rounds across all shotgun types (pump, semi, auto)
  11. DatVanuMan

1. REALLY love the jetpack sound suggestion:D I'd love ES sounds, man!
    2. C4 takes some time to land. A Light Assault must be VERY close in order to destroy a Prowler, and if you're talking about LAs dropping C4 at a deployed Sunderer below that balcony of the building near a tech plant's spawn, that's the driver's problem, not the Light Assault's.
    3. I'd like that:)
    4. MEH... When people say "More skill-indexed," it means NERF. Like ZOE. It used to be the only reason I'd pull a MAX, and then SOE said it didn't require any skill to use. They "readjusted" it... You know the rest of the story:(
  12. Plorf

Okay, ya got me, I hate shotguns :oops:. I just wanted to tack that on at the end because light assaults use them better than any class. If they made LAs more detectable, they probably wouldn't need a change.

HOWEVER: Snipers are good at every range, with the risk vs. reward being highest at close range. I was hoping to make shotguns kind of the reverse; easiest to use at close range, harder but still rewarding at range. Right now they're really binary, either great or terrible.
  13. SpartanPsycho

Bullcrap. SMGS are fine except for the cyclone.
  14. Whatupwidat

I love the seemingly endless threads that are all basically "I don't like this, remove/nerf it and feed my entitlement"

Another sunny day on Forumside :/
    • Up x 1
  15. ShortRovnd

16. 5ou1

Look up...
    • Up x 1
  17. Zeppelin123

But they are so cute if you shoot them out of the sky like like fairy hunting :D
  18. Kolbax

Get rid of LA rocketpack temporarily and then people can experience what everyone seems to want to turn HA into.

A squishy guy with no abilites at all!
  19. Ragmon

Stop kicking the LA while its down.

LA is the most discriminated class when it comes to organized play.

The LA received more indirect nerfs then any other class.

Unlike most classes it takes skill to play effectively.

The LA still has no utility.

So again, stop kicking the LA while its down.
    • Up x 5
  20. Wecomeinpeace

As i once replied to someone who told me "jetpacks make everything better":
    "Not when you are a level designer"

You simply have to take so much more z-axis **** into consideration when you have a class that can fly. But to PS2s credit, even though the bases are still mostly ********, i don't see how LAs can exploit the map and mechanics to a point where it could be problematic. The limit on fuel does a good job to prevent anything like that. Throwing C4 over esamirs base walls or shotgunning and C4-ing around a tower is extremely cheap, no doubt, but no big deal imo.

That being said your ideas sound reasonable and i like them. I have been advocating to make all explosives to be "deployed" since beta, to prevent these silly "explosion stacks" with which you can create instagib spots. A utility for LA would be cool too, currently their only role seems to be something likle "objective assault" or "C4 fairy", which isn't very exciting. And ES jetpack sounds would be nice too, i immediately know when there is an enemy infil around as soon as he uses his ability, why not the same for LA considering they are not much below infils in terms of sneakyness.