[BUG] Connection Issues (Ping)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Downy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Downy

After today's maintenance and server merge my ping recently raised to nearly 200ms considering I got around 60-70 ping before the merge, I find this "unacceptable". I would like a reason as to why this is happening also I checked with other players in the server and those that came from woodman seem to be experiencing the raise in ping but not only woodman players, those from miller have also claimed to have these problems.

BUG: I have noticed a consistent bug, the rocket launcher damage and the damage from C4 don't seem to be actually damaging vehicles or players. Sometimes the explosion works but in some circumstances, they seem to BUG. I haven't seen this with Grenades however I might be wrong so please correct me.
  2. Fizzy Snakes

I'm experiencing the same lag problems.

Am UK based and used to sit around 80ms but since the merge of Ceres (RIP) + Cobalt I'm now getting spanked by 200ms + .

It's great to have more dudes to shoot at but the lag is not at all fun - I might as well by playing on the US servers....
  3. STEALTHKILL

Yeah, for the past few days all I get is "Bad" for connection the entire game; I have not been able to really play at all because of this. Before a few days ago I was fine and never had connection issues.
  4. Dhabu

While I sympathize with your ping increase, and agree any coding-related issues should be resolved, I'd also like to point out that 200ms is about the best ping I can get from my location. A lot of people, especially in Europe, never go below 180.
  5. Aaren

Personally I still don't get why:

[IMG]

this happens.
  6. FateJH

There are two possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head.
    1. the command prompt ping just cares about how long it took to send a nondescript ICMP packet and receive the response packet; the in-game ping counter calculates the delivery time for packets being sent and packets being received, as those packets push around actual game-specific data.
    2. the ping request that is measured by the ingame ping counter is set to for a lower response priority than the ping request performed by the Windows utility, which would increase round-trip time.
  7. Aaren

1) If that is indeed the case - an increase of nearly 39ms is of serious concern. The default packet size for the ping command is 32 bytes. The maximum it can be set to is 65,527b or roughly 64kb. In comparison, the Source engine (which I am familar with) - uses a maximum packet size of:
    I don't pretend to know how Forgelight handles things, but I can't imagine it would be making packets nearly 52x the size of Source - regardless of differences in world and player scale. So I also ran a ping test with 64kb packet size, and this is what I got:[IMG] I think it's fairly safe to conclude that the size of the packets - at least up to 64kb barley affects the ping at all. Certainly not to the tune of 39ms extra. Now PS2's packets could be substantially larger, enough to affect the flow, but again I would have to ask why? Even if one doubles the delay of our single ICMP packet to account for both down and upstream, that's still only ~10ms. Not 46.

2) Why. Why would this be the case. Game packets should have the highest priority available, specifically to avoid what appears to be the situation here. Artificially inflated ping, and poor networking performance as a whole. The whole reason I started investigating my connection directly to the servers outside of the game, is because I continue to see gamebreaking desync, and hit/damage registration issues.
  8. Kcalehc

Your ping is to the outermost layer of the server(s), getting an almost instant response.
    The 'Latency' reported in game, is more likely between you and an inner layer, and probably includes some processing time in it. (i.e. its not just the time for a packet to get from you to the server and back again; but the time for a packet to get from you to the server, be processed, and then the response get back to you)
    • Up x 1
  9. Aaren

Assuming this is true. The server is taking roughly 30ms to process things. That's kind of not good enough if you ask me <_< but it's not the only issue here.

Were the server only simply delaying information by 30ms for each player - in order to process it - then the delay would be uniform across all perspectives.

However this dosn't explain the constant instances of simultaneous deaths - mulitple shots from your enemies perspective being compressed into a single instant from yours - or shots that flat out don't register - despite clearly affecting the playermodel. Those are examples of lag compensation going awry, or more seriously - the server itself struggling to understand what is going on, and who should be receiving damage from whome.

If PS2 servers are going to have to run 30ms in the past, due to the sheer scale of the world they're emulating, fine - but don't also have us suffer under unreliable compensation.
  10. Drakinor1

I am having the same issues, I used to have nearly no issues with connectivity, and I know its not my internet connection because its ONLY Planetside 2 I am having issues with. It will be playing fine then suddenly the "Bad Connection" appears, tanks begin to float off the ground, people are shooting infinite bullets etc, and when it finally catches up I am dead. Makes flying impossible, being effective impossible, and most importantly having fun damn near impossible. Its only recently this started happening, I really hope they get it fixed. Oh and I am in the US so my distance to the server should not be a factor and neither should my connection speed at 25mbs
  11. vsae

This exactly
    • Up x 1