[Suggestion] New control Option for Aircraft (mouse and keyboard)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CrudShuzKong, Feb 13, 2014.

1. WarmasterRaptor

They f"/$%"g deleted the thread about it??? :eek::eek::eek:

OMFG... C'mon SOE... this is incredibly r*t*rded. Nonsense.
    • Up x 2
  2. WarmasterRaptor

I'm for this.

I want to aim with my plane like I aim with my gun and aim with my tank.

If I want a simulator, I'll download one.
    If I want a true flying experience, I'll get real life flight lessons and become a pilot.

I'm gaming in PS2 in a very artificial/virtual environment.

Every other controls are rebind able. Do the same for the aircrafts.
    It's about comfort.

Why are some people actually REFUSING other people to have more comfortable controls???
    God forbid I changed the throw grenade keybind to something else than default!!

Am I the anti-christ because of that?
    Am I complaining because other people left it on default? Because other people changed it to something than I changed it?

NO. They are more comfortable with their controls, so be it.

Make this happen at LAST SOE.

You'll get more pilots in the sky easily with this simple modifiable setting.
  3. Daikar

because of the way hover mode works, you need high precision roll in order to fly around in hover mode.
    I'm 27 so yeah still kinda young I guess but this is the first game I play with this kind of controls and I got the hang of it pretty fast.
  4. Daikar

Yes it would create a wider gap in skill, you give up perfect control over your aircraft in order to get an easier time to aim. When you do that you wont be able to pull of half of the maneuvers an ESF can do ( not with the same precision ). Sure hovering still mid air and using yaw on mouse would probably work great, but when you start dodging and at the same time shooting you wont hit ****.

How is my logic wrong? You move the joystick left to roll left, right to roll right etc etc and it works just like that with the mouse.
  5. iccle

^garbage again. If someone rebinds the controls they will still have all the controls, they will just be on keys/mouse that they are more comfortable with. No control is lost, no skill involved. no gaps.
    • Up x 1
  6. Daikar

So you can't prove me wrong then I guess :)

Bye
  7. Allin

I can prove you wrong.

We are not asking for changing ONE way to control the ESF, but are asking for ADDING NEXT one.
    Nobody loses anything, you want mouse yaw, there, you want mouse roll, there.

So what skill gap change are you talking about, if anyone would be able to use current controls? If you think the mouse roll is a perfect way, by all means USE IT. I was flying mouse yaw in all games, and for me this is the perfect one. What now?

Your logic is wrong, becasue you impose your point of view on people with different experience. Don't talk for other people.
    There, happy?

THEN LET THEM USE IT AND CRASH what's your freaking problem with it? If the default settings stay as they are now, and you can only change them if you like, your precious new pilots would still use your "better" mechanics.

You seriously are blind, fanboy or just trolling about...
    • Up x 1
  8. Daikar

Sure by all means add it into the game but you will never win against someone who has roll on the mouse.

What part of this logic is wrong, I move the joystick left and the ESF rolls and I move the mouse left and the ESF rolls. The mouse works like a joystick, instead of saying I'm wrong please explain how.

Why would I want them to add something that would make it so much easier for me to fly around and kill everything?

I'm not blind, I just have enough experience with the current controls to see what would happen if you had roll on the keyboard.
    You will aim better but will fly so bad you wouldn't be able to keep the other ESF in your sight.

Having yaw on the mouse would make the reverse maneuver next to impossible to pull off and we both know what happens when a pilot that cant use it goes up against someone who can.

Honestly I wish they would just add it so you can see for yourself how wrong you are.
    It works in other games because you only fly forward in those.
  9. Daikar

just because they have access to all the controls doesn't mean they can use them the same way. When you press a key that's bound to roll it will give full input and roll at max speed. Same way yaw works right now but yaw is so much slower than roll so having on the keyboard works. With roll on the keyboard you will have a very hard time to fly.

Imagine this scenario. You are approaching a gap in the mountain and they only way through is to make you aircraft roll a bit to the left but not a 90 degree angle to the ground. There's no way to do that with roll on the keyboard because you cant stop the roll by just not moving the mouse. You will need to compensate by rolling the other way if you rolled to much to the right, and the roll doesn't stop right away when using it on the keyboard.
  10. Allin

Again, the same mistake.

How can you KNOW it's bad if it's not implemented? You are able to see future?
    Besides, I don't know if you were flying in Battlefield games (yes I know, different mechanic) but most people fly on mouse roll. Mouse is default, and that's why most people use it. I fly on mouse yaw, at start it sucked, and it was terrible to do anything, but after 2 months of flying 4-5 hours a day I was able to do things never possible with mouse roll. And while we are at it, do you know there are choppers in games, that best people use with mouse yaw controls?

Why do you think people bind pitch up on key? Becasue it gives tightest possible pitch turn when you NEED to use it instead of reverse maneouver. Same thing with mouse yaw, keyboard roll will be better for people that are willing to use it.

Also, for reverse maneouver you don't need analog roll, you can go fine with the keyboard one, becasue you would still be able to adjust with mouse if you mess the initial or terminal angle of a roll. That's the same inputs, just comming from different muscle memory. It's like saying you can't play guitar or violin with other hand, while people do. Or paint with legs, for that matter.

You are wrong becasue you forget contemporary joysticks have 3D twist for yaw control, that is used in a game that supports 3-axis rotation, as it could be supported in Planetside. Mouse does not have 3rd axis of movement. In all cases you can rebind stick twist to roll and stick tilt to roll, as counter intuitive would it be, and some people prefere it that way.

Like helicopters in Battlefield, or spaceships in Star Conflict, Elite (old and new), Privateer, Descent Freespace and basically EVERY SINGLE ONE space sim that allows free flight based on newtonian thrusters, and that's basically what you have in Planetside plus gravity. So yes, you are wrong again.
    At least we agree on one thing.
    Even if, defending NOT adding it to the game is plain stupid. Think of how many one-handed table tennis players would kick your *** at it. Rethink your position. Grow.
    • Up x 2
  11. DualDesertEagle

Well ROLLING precisely is just not as important as YAWING precisely coz u don't need the damn roll for ur aim! And ppl may have a hard time with it at the BEGINNING but not anymore when they get USED to it or not AT ALL when they know it from other games like BF3! And if 2 pilots on the exact same skill level meet, one used to the crappy current PS2 controls and one used to the desired mouse yaw and key roll, the one using mouse roll will easily be able to line his aim up within seconds while his opponent overshoots due to wrong timing on the keys, corrects, overshoots again and THEN FINALLY gets his aim lined up. Too bad, the guy with mouse yaw already emptied his gun and blew his opponent to bits just coz he could aim properly and didn't have to correct his aim like 20 times!

First: That scenario will never happen as it won't stop ur opponent from chasing u and running from a dogfight just decreases ur chances even more.

Second: If someone wants to fly through such a gap he'll just have to tap the roll for a very short time, but he'd NEVER EVER have to do such a precise correction as needed for aiming especially at long ranges

Third: I've played multiple flying games with yaw on the mouse and roll on A&D and NEVER had problems manouvering precisely, same will apply to PS2 IF THE DAMN OPTION WILL EVER BE IMPLEMENTED!

Fourth: I just recently did some dog fight training with some random guy in the VR. Whenever I lost him I first had to think: "Ok, what orientation am I in?" With the mouse yaw I simply would've key-rolled to where I thought he was, pitched until I was somewhat pointing his direction and then fully adjusted my aim within a split second to unleash hell on him! And I could even drift sideways and just move my mouse slow / fast enough to keep my crosshairs on him instead of timing my stupid yaw taps correctly and always having my aim bob back and forth on him!

Fifth: Why do u even care about other ppl tryin' to get their controls comfortable? Scared of being OWNED?
    • Up x 4
  12. iccle

http://joytokey.net/en/

Using the above third party software you can rebind yaw on your mouse, you can setup deadzones etc for keys so that they behave more like analog input also. I have been using this software for some time to get decent joystick support in ps2.

If the functionality in this third party application was instead supported in game, it would likely be much better all round, its crazy that people have to resort to third party applications to simply rebind what is basic functions.
    • Up x 2
  13. Daikar

Roll and pitch are the most important things to have precise control over an ESF when using hover mode. Nothing will beat the current setup when it comes to controlling the actual ESF. Aiming might be better but what does that matter when the guy you are trying to shoot is flying circles around you.

When you need it being the keywords here, with roll on the keyboard you don't have the option to use the mouse and keys.
    Keyboard roll will be faster and you can't really control it but that doesn't mean it's better.

How can you adjust the roll with the mouse if the mouse has yaw + pitch?

I wasnt talking about the 3D twist yaw control, I was talking about the pitch/roll on a joystick, and that is exactly how the mouse works right now.

Don't all of those games have automated flight assist? What I mean is you don't actually have control over your plane in those games, the plane is just flying after your mouse and the game does stuff for you.

I'm not defending not adding it, by all means please do BUT I'm just saying it won't help.
    Of course he would kick my *** since I don't play table tennis, and do you really need two hands for that anyway?`
  14. Daikar

Since yaw is so slow the only thing I need to do is hover left or right and you can't keep up. The only way for you to keep up with that is to roll on the side and use pitch up/down to aim.

It has worked so many times for me because most pilots cant keep up and crash into the mountain trying to follow.
    Also I never said there was someone chasing you.

Tap it to much and you are dead, flying through a bridge would be very hard.
    Want precise aim at range? use pitch up and down to aim, roll on side when you cant anymore.

What games were those? most games that I've seen with yaw on the mouse has a flight assist system that rolls the aircraft for you, IE you are not actually in control of the aircraft, you are just moving the mouse around on the screen and the plane follows it the best it can.

Stop using the stupid yaw taps then? just roll on the side and use pitch.

By all means add it, I'm just trying to make you understand that it will only make it harder for you to win against roll on mouse users. If that's still something you want then fine.
  15. Ronin Oni

Anyone who thinks mouse Yaw will let them suddenly fly well is delusional and has no idea what flying in PS2 is like.

Yaw is worthless. You need to apply 10 seconds of constant maximum input for a 10 degree turn.

The mouse space required for Yaw would be an entire desk... and you'd STILL have to pick the damn mouse up and move it 8 ft across the desk and down again.

I hope they DO add mouse Yaw as an option, because they sure as hell WON'T make Yaw more responsive and all of you will just be easier targets having a nearly worthless Mouse X-Axis.

THis is not like hovering in a helo in Battlefield where you can quickly spin left and right. It's literally like a degree turn per second at MAXIMUM input.

And if they ever change PS2 flight mechanics to make mouse yaw actually useful, I will hate every single one of you with every fiber of my being.
    • Up x 1
  16. Zhakathoom

I had no intention of trolling.

- Z
    • Up x 1
  17. Zhakathoom

Actually, that was kind of me trolling a bit. Sorry about that. :p

- Z
    • Up x 1
  18. Ziogatto89

Wow, after 300 hours on an ESF and 5000 kills it seems I have no idea what flying is like... why don't you actually keep a constructive attitude instead of showing such arrogance to people you know nothing about?

We don't want yaw on the mouse to make 90° turns. Only someone who can't fly would use such argument against the introduction of yaw on mouse. You do those turns by rolling and then pitching because it's much faster. What we want yaw on the mouse for is for precise analogue aiming. We will still use roll and pitch to turn. Must I teach such basic things every damn time?

While right now one could argue that with yaw being so slow A/D may be enough to aim, I and many other find aiming with a keyboard to be an unnecessary pain in the butt. Let's not forget that while right now hardly anybody is using them, dogfighting airframes actually exist and they do increase yaw speed quite a lot. This however results in aiming actually becoming worse since yaw is digitally controlled this results in aiming being much worse.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ronin Oni

If you've flown 5000 hours you should know how useless Yaw would be for aiming too then
  20. WarmasterRaptor

Omg... can't believe this "debate" is starting anew and is STILL going on...
    This is what you get for deleting 16 pages worth of a forum about this exact topic.

Everything that was answered rises up again.

And because of that, I'm losing faith at turbo speed in the player base, because they never learn nor can't they think with the broad picture of things in mind.

Having customizable controls is NOT REPLACING CURRENT ONES!!! It adds a choice to how we can control things and be comfortable while gaming.

I don't even get the reasoning behind REFUSING that, it's just, mindblowing...

Those who say no to custom controls, I hope that you do play with EVERYTHING on default.
    Don't you dare change a single keybind because of personal preferences... in any game on any platform.
    You got to be consequential with your statements.

Otherwise, stop countering the implementation of this OPTION right now.

It only shows you're afraid of having people able to stand up to you and maybe even surpass you in-game.
    And that is simply cowardice, nothing else, nothing more.
    • Up x 1