Hornet missile velocity too slow.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by [NNG]WillTerry, Aug 3, 2014.

1. GaBeRock

He's proposing a trade- less ammo reserve (requiring more accuracy) for higher velocity (enabling more accuracy.) Damage wouldn't change.
    Bad? No. In need of some role changes? Yes. These should be the ideal strike-fighter package- powerful (which they are) and accurate (not so much) but held back by ammo reserve (trust me, they aren't.)
    You're seeing more hornet users because rocketpods got nerfed. The +400 dmg/mag didn't really make a difference. Also, their maximum range is 300m, well within esf render distance, unlike nonrendering mana turrets.
    Damage/mag is still lower than rocketpods. Hornets are used primarily because they're somewhat more accurate, and because they're fun as hell to use.
  2. GaBeRock

There's still an interesting "bug" where in freelook, the hornet comes out of the location you point at in the cockpit, but then will try to follow the orientation of your esf as it it wasn't in freelook. You can do some pretty funny sniping in VR, but I haven't found a use for it.
  3. Flag

Well, they don't need any buffs.
  4. [NNG]WillTerry

I disagree, they need a velocity buff ASAP.
  5. GaBeRock

Thus, a trade. Some reserve ammo, for a small incresse in speed. Nothing drastic on either end.
  6. Flag

I'll politely disagree.

I don't think they need any buffs.
    But they do have way too much spare ammo.

I might have just said that I'm in favour of a nerf, at least the ammo counter.
  7. [NNG]WillTerry

Still that velocity buff will make them effective against tanks, I'll be glad when it gets the buff it needs.
  8. Klypto

Rocket pods can be dodged in a ground vehicle leading to interesting combat, Hornets cannot except in pilot error / they have too high sensitivity. They will notably out DPS rocket pods though accuracy alone while hovering in place and it is definitely not fun to fight against.
    • Up x 3
  9. Desann

Thanks,

It sounded like the Phoenix had a dumb-fire option that was intended, but I never saw any patch notes on that. That is why I got all excited. The phoenix really needs a dumb-fire.
  10. Flag

They already are devastating against tanks.
    If you think they aren't, that goes more to show your standards being way out of whack.
  11. minhalexus

The thing with Hornets is that in a heated battle they're basically unusable worse than rocketpods IMO.
    But in a simple ESF vs Tank battle they're better since you have less chance of missing.

I think they need some sort of rethinking, since I agree with both Flag and WillTerry.

Maybe reduce or remove the tracking and buff velocity.
  12. PastalavistaBB

Nice Joke m8. Wait, are you serious? Than it's a really bad joke actually. A2G Lock ons, seriously? What's next, A2G Coyotes?
  13. Haquim

I think you might be the first one ever to read that big *** ripoff speech :D
  14. sucoon

i got them on auraxium, the only problem they have is the short range.
  15. lawn gnome

not necessarily out of whack, but maybe simply different. i have heard players say that they would just generally like this game to be more deadly from all angles and i have to say i wouldn't mind that.

ESF are already fairly fragile to those things that can effectively hit them like flak, but i am beginning to understand why normal tanks might have an issue. i know tanks CAN mount AA, but unfortunately that amounts to a death sentences for the tank in most cases resulting in them being more vulnerable to ground vehicles AND infantry since most AA guns are incapable of aiming down.

if they set tank reverse speeds equal to tank drive speeds like they mentioned before this will help tanks massively against aircraft, because i know even bumping my lightning reverse speed up to 40kph added large amount of survivability to my tank.
  16. Flag

It will also destroy more than it can even hope to mend.
    The equal forward/backwards speed is broken at the core, and shouldn't be added for any reason.
  17. Thurwell

I suppose that if you're hovering behind a ridge you could fire the hornets up, then pop up and guide them back down to reduce your exposure time. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth though.
  18. Takara

The last week....I've had LITTLE issue killing Prowlers and Vanguards with them. In fact I often get 50+ certs a life using Hornets. 15k exp to 25k exp a life. Mostly from killing Lightnings/Vaguards/Prowlers/MAX units. Infact I've gotten my accuracy with them down good enough to do a fly by strike on a AA max and direct hit him with both rounds. I love the slower velocity.
  19. [NNG]WillTerry

I believe my standards are fine, the velocity buff is a needed change. I think it is already being considered.
  20. Flag

I find the hornets to do too much damage, which will be an even bigger problem if they get a velocity buff.
    But it's not a problem according to you, I'm sure.