PS2 should switch to Direct X 11

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meshblorg, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Nexus545

Never going to happen. Maybe if PS3 ever goes into development. What version of DirectX is H1Z1 being made in?
  2. Nexus545

Poor people still have cathode ray tube TVs if that's what you're referring to. In fact I have one in the cupboard that came with my flat's furniture. I don't know how people still have them, I thought they would have broke by now and that they weren't made anymore.
  3. Bassett

This guy knows.
  4. acksbox

They could always keep the legacy renderer around.

Wrong.

[IMG]

Unlikely to happen, given how PS2 has NVIDIA plastered all over it.
    • Up x 1
  5. Octiceps

You and what army?

Don't tell me you're actually playing PlanetSide 2 on that...
    • Up x 2
  6. acksbox

A single example to the contrary is enough for a claim of "nobody" to be erroneous.

It does run PS2, quite well actually.

It's one of many OSes on my ESX server that includes a 4.4GHz i7 4930k, 32GiB of memory, and a Radeon HD 290X.
    • Up x 1
  7. Goretzu

It's fun getting thing to run on things people think they can't, I managed to get SWTOR running on a WoW-release era PC - didn't run exceptionallly well, but still considering it was WAY below the minimum specs. :D
  8. Scure

Exactly, even if theres like 100 WinXP players thats nothing. They lost more players with the bad performance of DX9. Actually i don't think theres more like... 10 XP players? Even the 64bit version has bad memory utilization... the multicore CPU support is outdated too. Even Win7 was outdated for AMD FX processors, so Microsoft had to make anupdate. lulz And we still not talked about the bad energy management for new PC's.
    • Up x 1
  9. acksbox

Generally, XP x64 allocates affinity to cores in a competent manner (though it is unaware of the module layout in AMD FX parts, this is not something that cannot be accounted for manually), and performs almost identically to later OSes in the overwhelming majority of things it's capable of running (and unless it needs DX10+, it's capable of running most Windows applications from the late 90s through today).

Anyway, this is all besides the point. The game engine is currently DX9 (and given the number of people limited to DX9 when game development begain five years ago, it was probably a wise move at the time), and unless keeping DX9 would somehow render clients incompatible with a server that supported clients on a newer renderer, there is no reason not to keep it around, even if it becomes depreciated. SOE could shift development primarily to a DX11+ renderer, and only keep the most minimal of support for DX9.
  10. Stigma

This game is CPU intensive because it has complicated logic in it (like tracking a very large amount of entities). DX11 might be more effective in using the CPU in rendering but rendering is NOT the problem in this game and the CPU utilization just for feeding the renderer is no doubt a pretty small part of total utilization. In fact this game has fairly light render requirements.

TLDR: Moving to DX11 would have little to no real performance impact because that's not where the bottleneck lies.

-Stigma
  11. SpartanPsycho

12. FateJH

Unless, you're running Ultra Low or Low, you're not really using the CPU for rendering, except to run through the standard loop. And, the loop usually defers to the GPU anyway on all settings but Low anyway.

DX11 has support for what is called GPGPU which essentially allows the GPU to handle some CPU calculations. The GPU is generally stronger than the CPU but it is also usually limited by having a strict overspecialization. It is normally designed to do graphical processing and very little else. No I do I have lots of thoughts about this, and about the need for "devoted graphical processors" in the first place. My main concern, however, is that PS2 is still not multithreaded very well, by design or by mistake, and that is really what is holding us back. DX11 goes graphical transformations well; but, our problem has never been graphical transformations. Many processors people list utilizing are way over the specifications that PS2 might need; but, our problem was never too little computative power. Until we get over the monolithic nature of the beast, only a paltry amount of improvement will be accomplished by upgrading hardware or doing things only slightly differently.
  13. Octiceps

What a waste having one of the fastest DX11 GPU's and only being able to play DX9 games.
  14. icon

This kid likes where the spawn beacon is going, and I must agree.
    • Up x 2
  15. icon

PS1 got an uplift from DX7 to DX8 at one point in its life. Many people forgot this.
    • Up x 1
  16. acksbox

Quite right. The game engine needs to be better threaded, even outside of the renderer.

What part about "one of many OSes" implies that I'm limited to DX9? I don't normally game on the XP x64 VM, but I can and for DX9 titles it's no slower than newer OSes.

The bulk of my games are played from Windows 7/Server 2008 R2, which are DX11 capable. Not that games are the only thing fast GPUs are good for.
  17. Timithos

SOE already announced they're upgrading to DX11, along with their 64-bit announcement that they already executed. Now whether they abandoned the project, or have zero development team working on it still is anyone's guess.

https://twitter.com/search?q=planetside dx11&src=typd
    • Up x 1