Jackhammer users: Do you like the burst fire option?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by _itg, Aug 11, 2014.

1. _itg

I picked up the Jackhammer not too long ago and I haven't had a chance to form much of an opinion for myself. I'm just curious how you guys use the burst fire, if at all.
  2. FishMcCool

Not really. Because i'm not an accurate shooter and if you miss your burst, you're toast... I fare much better with spamming the semi-auto. Also, i tend to use the JH from further out than other shotguns thanks to the damage dropoff, and the kick of the 3-round burst makes you miss on the 2nd and or 3rd shot easily even if on target. While room clearing (with conc nades, preferably), chances are a lot of people in the room will be injured, so the 3 rounds may be overkill. I rather use my shots one by one and switch target faster when someone dies on the first shot.

The exception is when i know exactly where a camper is waiting around a corner (saw him run there/spotted/scout-radared...). In which case i switch to burst, round the corner, and latency ensures i'm the first to shoot for an instant kill. Very situational, but enjoyable.
    • Up x 1
  3. Shaengar

I use ist all the time. As stated above you need good aim and stable fps but when you hit its like a pump-action kill with much higher range that will OHK every class save for Heavy Assaults with overshield (you mostly need 2 burst for them) and Maxes of course.

Very often this lets you get out of firefights with 100% health due to the extreme low TTK when the enemy has no time to react. When using the semi-auto mode you will most likely recieve some damage.
  4. JonboyX

You use triple fire mode when you want it to behave like a pump action (corners), and single fire when you want it like a normal shotgun. The JH is so good because it's like being able to switch between the two with just a right click. Just need to recognize the times you should use one over the other.
  5. Atenson

It depends on what kind of shotgun user you are. Semi-Auto or Pump?
    The 3-round burst essentially turns the Jack into a pump shotty (not literally, just in theory.) Requires higher accuracy but can 1 shot most enemies if your aiming for upper chest.

Personally I use semi-auto & go for headshots. Haven't used it much since I auraxiumed it.

I am curious if people use extended mags or the laser sight?
  6. Bankrotas

I loved JH iteration mark two. This iteration makes JH unique, but not as good as second one was.
  7. minhalexus

I like it as a option. (who doesn't like options?)

Otherwise.... NO!
  8. Hibiki54

If you're bursting the JH, you're not using it right.
  9. Vikingo

Only use the burst when I know I am going into very close quarters, like towers and such. When you know the engagement range will vary like a biolab fight you are better off just running semi-auto.
  10. Leondre

Not at all. Against another heavy I always lose when I'm using burst as it takes too long before I can get off the 2nd one. No problems on semi though.
  11. BadLlama

Burst is great for receiving rage tells.
  12. JesNC

Cheese mode.

Really great for camping corners and faming jumppads. For real fighting? Not so much...
  13. MuNrOe

Never-

Reason - Most of the time it takes 4-5 shots to bring down an enemy, if your sole relying on all your pellets to hit (which they hardly ever do) your putting to much reliance on the weapon (and in game hit detection) to bring down your enemy instead of your skill. Since you don't know what is around the corner, (a heavy ,other or a max) the time saved not having to switch out of this fire mode doesn't compensate for the potential kill ratio of not having burst fire on. Sure its great if you're in knife range and certain your going to get the kill ,(IE a stationary sniper you have snuck up on) but even then save ammo and 1 shot then knife them.

Due to the kick of the weapon also aiming for the head can blow your hit detection way off. Aim center of mass and let the gun jump up towards the head while dragging your cross hair down to compensate with each shot. Unlike the PA where you can be guaranteed a kill if you hit center mass with the JH burst mode it doesn't always guarantee this. Considering the Fast TTK in this game those crucial Milli seconds spent reloading will often lead to death against most competent players.

In short use the standard fire mode and keep shooting until they drop, leads to better outcomes in most 1v1 engagements. Oh that and keep moving stationary targets in this game get obliterated. Its the one advantage that this gun has over the others that you can run and gun. Just don't jump whatever you do. Jumping will make your buckshot fly off in every which way direction.

When you shoot this weapon also remember you are instantly on radar no matter what and every enemy around you knows where you are and are heading to kill you. Move fast to some new area after killing as you can guarantee if there's more enemy's they're on their way to take you out. Serpentine also running in straight lines in one direction while on radar will let your enemy know which direction you are heading towards. (Radar(Sensor Shield) implant with this weapon is a must or your going to be on radar the entire time). The old tactic of killing and hiding/reloading no longer works with this weapon due to the radar upgrades. People know where you are and corner humping doesn't work like it used to anymore.

Also never get caught out in the open with this weapon always try to move from cover to cover with an object or something behind and in-front of you as you move forward. Hope this information helps out any new NC players looking for some insight onto how to use this weapon effectively. Don't be afraid to lead a charge and get in behind enemy lines with this gun as its where I do the most damage and reap the most rewards. Just make sure you know/fall back to somewhere safe to reload after every second kill.

Best of luck with your new weapon :)
  14. MasterDemoman

To be honest, yeah. It's really situational, though. You have to be prepared to switch out the burst fire option in a pinch depending on whatever the hell's happening
  15. Crayv

I almost never use it. It's only slightly better than the normal semi-auto in its optimal situation but significantly worse outside of it.
  16. KnightCole

Burst mode? hell no, I find it clunky and weird. having the gun fire 3 shots for each pull of the trigger, idk, it throws me off. Plus the recoil is off and yeah, id rather just fire them 1 at a time myself.
  17. Hibiki54

Listen to Jackhammer Jesus.
  18. Moz

Burst for a Biolab or tower fight, single shot anywhere else.

Burst is AWESOME if you learn to lead your shots and deal with the recoil! Trouble is thats bloody tough to achieve!!
  19. BurntDevil

I tend to burst if I know the target is within 15 meters. If Im in an enclosed area, Ill keep burst on, otherwise I'll switch it to single.

Then again, I also run a bolt driver scope and a flashlight on my jackhammer, so take that for what its worth.
  20. JonNathe

Yeah, I like burst fire a lot. Get in a room defending a point, get a medic to patch you up, no one is getting in that room unless they bring at least four dudes. This was after two battles taking stuff from the VS, it was a whole lot of fun.
    [IMG]