PS2 should switch to Direct X 11

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meshblorg, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Goretzu

To be fair they have some sense, in a general workstation environment Win7 isn't really much bette than WinXP and Win8 is likely worse due to them trying to foist an tablet/touchscreen OS on their desktop market.

Although with China it is as much to do with piracy as anything else, but in embedded stuff XP is still very well used, partially why the UK Government paid Microsoft to extend its patching for WinXP for another 18 months or so.

Of course any Governments with any sense are swtiching to Linux for their public sector use.
  2. FrankHH

DX11 won't necessarily mean that they need to ditch DX9 anyway. There are games which let you switch between DX9, DX11, and sometimes OpenGL.
    • Up x 3
  3. libbmaster

SO I CAN USE CROSSFIRE

THAT I PAID FOR

AND GET GUD FPS

THAT I ALWAYS WANTED

HhHhhHhhhnnnnnnnggggg
  4. ironeddie

Lotro let you switch between versions of DX.

I figure PS2 needs lots of players so they wanted to make it as accessible to as many people as possible. Hence DX9.

But I always figured computer hardware and software is always getting better. Often that change has been driven by new games pushing the boundaries. Any PC user should accept the inevitable need to upgrade.

The devs made a mistake in not building this game on the latest tech.
    • Up x 2
  5. Goretzu

I assume H1Z1, EQnext and Landmark all won't have DX11 support given they are all Forgelight, anyone know?
  6. Keldrath

Mantle support would be even better if they can manage it.

But yeah, the features themselves of the different versions don't matter much, but the better cpu utilization efficiency would help some with the game, maybe even a lot. Though DX11 is still inefficient and makes a lot of redundant calls to the cpu.

The cpu overhead just doesn't help any.
  7. DorianOmega

This game should have MULTI dx suppot, 8-10 capable like Source can, maybe then add 11 in there.
    • Up x 2
  8. Regpuppy

Not to mention, that's pretty much bloated by workplaces and schools. Not an amazing indicator for our demographic.
  9. ShortRovnd

I'm on Win98:

[IMG]
  10. z1967

I haven't seen a box like that in a loooooong time.
  11. Codex561

Oh wow, but people on XP still don't, can't and shouldn't game much.
  12. Meshblorg

If you're still using Windows XP you should probably ride to work on a horse drawn carriage too because you're stuck in the past brah
  13. DatVanuMan

How do I know what "DX" my game is running? What DX does the game use anyways, and why is 11 better?
  14. Octiceps

It's DX9. Bigger is always better.
  15. Camycamera

holy mother of necro'd?

also, all of SOE's games are 64 bit now, so no more window's XP support, i think.
  16. DatVanuMan

So DX11 allows me to play the game with more FPS? If so, then count me in! :D
    That's what those play options in Civ V were:eek: Makes sense now.
  17. Octiceps

PS2 will auto-select 32-bit or 64-bit depending on OS. Also there is 64-bit XP.
  18. Paragon Exile

Fixed
  19. Camycamera

ah, i thought i was missing something.
  20. Octiceps

Oh I'm sure you would know.