I'm pretty much out.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by WyreZ, Aug 8, 2014.

1. WyreZ

It'd been a while since I played PS2. After maybe a year of absence I thought I'd log in again, see how it's all going.

10gb of updates? Hm, alright. *downloads all the updates*

Extra slow 'installation' of another 250mb that takes an extra couple of hours for no obvious reason? Alright...

Ready to play! *click*

PS2 literally takes ~15 minutes from when I click "play" to when I click "deploy". When I finally get into the game, I get between 5-20 minutes of game play before it crashes to desktop with no error message. This is after I've turned all of the graphics to LOW/OFF under the guidance of whatever tech support on the issue I could find on the forums.
    Frustrated, I give up to try again the next day. "Oh look! More updates. Ok, 90mb of installation? Sure." This time it doesn't take so long. All is good.

Click play, 15 minutes later, I'm in! Play for 5 minutes, crash.

Sorry Sony, but your game seems a bit too unstable for me to continue to try to play it - despite having spent some money on it in the past. It's just too time consuming and frustrating for something that's meant to offer some relaxing 'down time' in the lifestyle.

Cheers,
    -WyreZ-
  2. Shrekem

Is your pc a potato?

Game works fine.

Upgrade now!
    • Up x 1
  3. WyreZ

Let's see, maybe it is my computer, but I don't think so. Can you double check? Basic computer specs:

Intel Core 2 quad - Q9400 2.66Ghz processor
    4gb of RAM
    GeForce GTX260 896Mb video card
    Gigabyte EP45T-DS3R LGA775 motherboard...

with plenty of HDD space free... anything I'm missing?
  4. sagolsun

Barely above minimum spec. There's your problem. Planetside 2 is the Crysis of today. The hardware to run this game smoothly has not been designed yet, if broadwell samples are any indication.

Step above a potato, but still not quite up to par to a modern graphing calculator.

It's time for a PC upgrade, WareZ.
    • Up x 1
  5. nitram1000

I would say upgrade to a newer computer and you'll be fine, but my game is now lagging and stuttering even with my spec. The devs literally have no idea how they break things.

They could add a camo for the lightning and it will cause the player models to run around with 3 heads, the code in this game is so ****** up.
    • Up x 2
  6. Jerox

His pc specs aren't necessarily the problem. While they sure aren't the best it could very well be the game that's just screwed up.

Even though my pc could always handle PS2 just fine with no problems now after the latest patch it also crashes randomly, I get micro stuttering or some sort of weird lagg and I also got a bunch of new 'features' like not being able to redeploy after death or teleport to another continent so yeah, could be the game. And PS2 isn't the Crysis of today lol, it wish it were.
  7. WyreZ

Indeed. My computer isn't fantastic - but the game should at least run, right? Even if the frame rate goes to crap (ie even if it doesn't run WELL), it still shouldn't just crash to desktop every couple of minutes, surely.
  8. Dramonicous

Game works fine?
    And what are you smoking?

Since august update the game been broken.
    Hundreds of bugs have emerged some of which are causing people to crash,stutter.
    Aswell as other bugs that can get you banned for '"hacking", one of those lets you see/walk/fire through walls/ceiling/floors.
    Also alot (if not all) are experiencing increased lag, most running at 150-200ms and in case your wondering then anything above 80ms is unacceptable if your playing infiltrator AND after 120ms then medic/engie tools begin to rollback after you finished using them.

NO the game is not fine!

As for the OPs computer then you really need to upgrade. You will prolly be able to run planetside 2 but it will not be pleasant. But with the current state of the game then im not at all surprised that you keep crashing.
  9. GaBeRock

Your problem is 4gb of ram. Ps2 takes up that much before taking into account memory leak, since it has to stream assets from memory. Long story short, your ram is too low to play. You need at least 8 gb, preferably 16.
  10. WyreZ

Hm. It probably doesn't help that I'm on a 32 bit OS...

Thanks for your thoughts!
  11. Thom-

Yeah thats probably the problem. This game does not really run on 32bit OS. I think it's time to switch to 64 bit - we're living in the year 2014 after all.
  12. Smagjus

The problems with the installer will probably come from a slow HDD. Even my M500 960GB limits the installer speed from time to time. That part of the reason why the devs recommend to run the game on an SSD.
  13. JonboyX

Well, your PC is ancient, but I think the main problem is that you've tried to play on, or the day after, patch day:

Gibbs' rule 46: Never try and play just after patch day
    Added after rule 45 (SOE): Always clean up your own mess and rule 9, which is "always carry a knife".

;)
  14. BeckerDerBro

My PC is a potato and even though my FPS are not that great, I don't crash at all.
    I will never understand this game.
    • Up x 1
  15. Shrekem

Your game keeps crashing because your 32-bit OS can't even use all 4gb ram.

You need 64-bit and at least 6gb to avoid crashes.
  16. RobotNinja

You came back and complain about performance issues, one thing that has actually improved (latest patch not withstanding)? It sounds like your computer is a hunk o' junk.

I mean of all the things you could certifiably complain about after coming back to PS2...you pick the one thing that has improved.
    • Up x 1
  17. Utrooperx

Suggestion to help a bit...if you got a spare thumb drive laying around, pop it in a USB slot and set up Ready Boost...slower then RAM, but a heck of a lot better then spinning disks in a non-SSD hard drive!
  18. WyreZ

RobotNinja - it's the one thing that has gotten WORSE for me... You say that as though I just decided to pick something to complain about for the sake of complaining. And sure, who doesn't like to vent from time to time? But more so, it was about the fact that it didn't always crash as much or take so long to load as it does for me now.
  19. Certs-For-Days

I've had the exact same problem! The patch yesterday took a good 60 mins to install, then (not as long as a launch for me) 5-7 minutes just to be able to click the deploy screen. When Razer Comms is running in the background, I not only get a 5 fps drop, but a few minutes later, my computer will say it's low on memory, then crash the game and take me to an error page.However, i can't minimize PS2's crashed screen so 90% of my screen is black (so I can't see what the error number is. Eventually, nothing I do gets rid of the black screen, so I have to restart.
    I personally think SOE needs to do another OMFG or Operation Lower RAM Usage.
  20. 3punkt14159

Exactly. Bevor i got a 64 bit system it crashed every 15 minutes on a computer like yours, now whit 64-bit and a better grafic chip it works better. The reason is, your 32 bit system cant handle all of the 4 mb ram. What shrekem writes is not thru, 4 gb are enough, thats what i got, and it never crashes, but i got a better grafic card as you got.