[Suggestion] Spiker Sucks. Let's Change That.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Foxirus

Seriously guys.. How the hell you screwed this gun up so badly is beyond me. The burst fire is crap, The charge feature is crap, The gun it self is crap. I knew this on the Player Test Server, Anyone could have seen this. I figured that maybe the Developers saw this too and were going to change it before releasing it. We were wrong.

The burst fire shoots slower than the Cerberus because the gun can not be rapid fired due to the charge feature. I was all for it being a semi auto mode with an explosive charge up shot. I thought it was a great idea that would have gone far, But that got shot down.

Here is the ONLY way to fix it:

Fire Mode 1: Burst fire only, with no charge

Fire Mode 2: Semi Auto fire with charge capabilities to fire a single explosive blast.

Fire modes can be changed by pressing B, The mode will be remembered through logouts, Deaths, and weapon swaps.

I will NOT buy the Spiker, The Spiker is a piece of crap.
    • Up x 7
  2. minhalexus

Just buff the default ROF to about 430.
  3. Bankrotas

Then, they'll have to remove 6 shot charge.
  4. Thardus

Don't really see how it's that bad. In the time it takes you to aim, you can have a charge ready, and six body shots kills.
  5. task_master

spiker is in a pretty good place right now IMO. it's definitely a lot better on LA and infil than the other classes though.

i prefer to use it with maxed drifters, just floating/sliding around constantly while holding a charge. if i find anyone, i empty 1500-2500 damage into them before they break my shield. i then have 2 more charges and a fully loaded primary ready for anyone else in sight.
  6. Shrekem

It should have slightly less burst dps than the Desperado.

Right now it has a lot less.
  7. Demigan

Did you even look at the NC magscatter? A close-range shotgun pistol that's outperformed by just about anything? I can kill faster with the desperado, the standard TR Repeater is better!

I've seen people on the test-server say it was an incredible weapon. Powerful, accurate. I've been almost OHK by a spiker several times on the test. Perhaps you haven't used it long enough to get used to it?
  8. sucoon

the burst is crap if you compare it with repeater and desperado!

the only usefull is the charge, and perhaps it will got nerved
  9. AtzeB

The weapon is useless for me as an iniltrator - because I cant charge when I'm cloaked...
    • Up x 1
  10. Vixxing

Its useless for all- out of ammo switching to secondary, hmmm gun jammed? Aaaah i need to release button to fire? To bad im already dead...
    • Up x 2
  11. Foxirus

No, It doesn't need any changes but the firemodes done to it. You can buff the fire rate to damn 1000 and it would still fire slower than the cerberus. It fires slow because of the physical limitation of not registering until AFTER the mouse click is released. Fire rate will not change a damn thing.
  12. Foxirus

Almost? Almost getting a kill on someone doesn't mean a thing if you still died and they lived. Lets not even mention that if the target is wearing nano weave, A full charge will not get the kill. By then its too late.
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

It has much better accuracy than the repeater and more range. I don't say the spiker is incredibly GOOD, I'm just saying that the magscatter is WORSE. At least you can de-cloak at range, charge the thing and almost annihilate someone, then finish the job. With the mag-scatter you can easily have 3-shot kills at almost point-blank, and with the terrible ROF it's more efficient to knife someone twice than to use this weapon. Bye bye usefulness. At best you can de-cloak, fire and knife, and hope that he wasn't wearing nano-weave or that a pellet misses, or you are still looking at a 2-slice kill with a knife.

A shotgun that is outperformed even at point blank by other secondaries? It's pathetic. At least the spiker can reliably hit ranged targets. In the test server I've tried to one-shot NC people standing still at terminals, it was almost impossible even with the shotgun AGAINST their head. With the current ROF it just can't compete. I have an easier time getting kills with almost any other secondary weapon.

'Almost' as in 'it took just 0,2 seconds more than a OHK'. As in 'I didn't stand a chance, was dead by the time I fired a single shot back'.
  14. Foxirus

What happened to you was most likely you not paying attention and you let one get the full charge on you, This will not happen if the enemy is even slightly competent or if they enemy just so happens to have Nano Weave armor (which is what around 80% of my enemies use).
  15. Zimmerit

i never try spiker, tr counterpart is really good... out of thread i wish to know if there's a plan to put auraxium weapons in training zone.
  16. Predatorv2

I have played this pistol for hours yesterday as stalker.
    Main problems with spiker:

2-burst:
    Its rpm is way too slow. Unusable in real combat situations especially compared to the Desperado or Repeater.

6-burst:
    6x167=1002. This is enough for a "OHK"? Wrong..
    • If the enemy has at least Nanoweave 1 (trust me, a lot of people do), you need at least another 2burst (if all shots connect).
    • If the enemy is a heavy, spots you and turns on his shield, you are soo screwed.
    • If even one bullet hits his legs (0.9x dmgmodifier), 6 bullets aren't enough.
    • If the enemy is 11m+ away, 6 shots won't be sufficant (6-7 if using suppressor, which should be the main reason of using this gun as infiltrator, over a NS pistol)
    • The gun has a huge vertical recoil, which makes it very possible to miss at least 1-2 bullets on a fast moving target in CQB.
    My suggestion:
    Don't create another Desperado! Make the 2 burst somewhat useful (but still inferior to the other dedicated burst pistols), but focus on the main problems of the charged up 6 burst.

1. Give the 6 bursta new damage type (energy piercing). This new damage type will ignore nanoweave and has a leg dmgmodifier of 1.
    2. Reduce the delay between two "2 bursts". This mechanic makes this gun very uncomfortable to fire in CQB.
    3. Give us a bit more distinctive visual and auditive marker, when the 6 burst is fully charged. Many players might think that the strangle purple light "ball" in front of the weapon would do this job, but it is not really precise (you have to charge for another ~0.2 seconds after the purple ball is fully aligned.
  17. sucoon

i buyed yesterday all three weapons ant testet them on life server als stalker as posible under the server problems of eu servers.

as the developer sayed, all 3 weapons more intented in short range.

TR is nice, easy to use
    VS not that what i hoped for
    NC for short range ok, need more clip-size
  18. minhalexus

Well fix the bug, then buff the ROF to 430.
  19. Demigan

You mean that someone who is 'slightly competent' will never, EVER get surprised attacked from behind? Someone who is competent has apparently constant 360 degree vision that instantly can see cloakers?

No, ofcourse not! Even the best player can be surprised. Just walk passed a corner where enemies could be on both sides, look to the wrong side first and you get mauled. You can't check every crook and cranny constantly either, it would take a day to get from one end of a base to the other. This situation will happen a LOT to people. The charge pistol isn't good for a direct confrontation, which is GOOD. Practically no sidearm should be powerful enough to win a direct confrontation with someone holding a loaded primary weapon.
    Short version: stop making it look like it's impossible to surprise someone unless YOU personally brand someone dumb. A secondary weapon should lose from a primary in a direct confrontation.

All that aside, the spiker might need a buff. But the Magscatter needs a more powerful one, as from my experience on the sticky end of the spiker the magscatter is a better weapon so far. If you could unload all 4 shots in quick succession the weapon might not even be that bad, but currently... I wouldn't be surprised if I could outperform the magscatter with every single pistol, exception are the flare guns and that kind of weird stuff.

Of all these weapons I would think that the magscatter would outperform the other two at point-blank. So far It doesn't seem likely that it can except with real luck.
    I think the magscatter should get a far higher ROF. Firing all 4 shots in quick succession would offer advantages and disadvantages you expect from such a gun: you are out of ammo fast but you can at least tear someone apart, if you are close enough. You can easily shoot all 4 shots with someone on your crosshairs but they are still standing because you weren't point-blank.
  20. Elrobochanco

They just need to add a firemode toggle and roll the regular burst back to the first implementation of the beamer storm (quick fireable 2 round burst, no fire delay or waiting for mouseup).
    • Up x 1