[Suggestion] New control Option for Aircraft (mouse and keyboard)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CrudShuzKong, Feb 13, 2014.

1. CrudShuzKong

I started playing ps2 a few days ago and find the controls for Aircraft (mouse and keyboard) a bit lackluster, since the mouse has to be used for targeting (keyboard tapping is way too inaccurate), but only supports the controls for pitch and roll.
    I would like to suggest adding an option to make the mouse control pitch and yaw.
    This would make targeting in the air with the mouse a lot smoother and more intuitive, because it would essentially be like a turret that is moving. For me that would be the best way to pilot, since the right hand would do the flying and the left one the aiming and shooting (i also pitch with my left hand and throttle with my mouse).

thanks for reading
    Kong
    • Up x 12
  2. Talk

Someone's made a post a year or two ago on release. Still no implementation. Don't expect it anytime soon. They really don't care how you LIKE to fly, so you better learn how to fly how THEY want you to fly.

tldr: PS2 don't care what you want.

edit: post wasn't long enough to warrant a tldr but meh.
    • Up x 5
  3. iDash44

We all Agree. The flight controls are bizarre and there's no way to set them to be normal. Joystick support was a lie. Without analog there's no joystick support, period. Digital aiming just doesn't work, period. There's a good reason shooters haven't used keyboard aiming since Doom. Without mouse yaw it's impossible to hit the broad side of a barn. I've been wanting to come back to the game, but I can't until they stop pretending to be a console game and give us bindable controls. The default setup is ridiculously bad.
    We're not talking about a feature here. We're talking about a basic minimum requirement of the platform. Not having remappable controls on a PC game is like not having graphics settings. Only mindless fanboys find something like that acceptable.
    Pixelamaster

They lied, I ain't going to spend all day looking for it, but they did.

Joysticks analog, or even the mouse roll crap still cant be edited in Aircraft years later.
    PS4 will get it though. bet

The reason you/they dont hear about it more it took me 1 hour to get into this forum with all their crazy @ss forum policies/support/protocols and other crap
    24 hour ban from joinging after 3 tries at password,
    oh look,
    another 24hour ban for resetting password.
    They dont want to hear from YOU.
    I can't even edit without Mini Hoops.
    They are 20 hour a day working little japenese guys in little white coats who don't even play games afterall!

A user created this years ago,
    I dont know how to install it, or anything but this and other non-analog profiles are on net
    • Up x 4
  4. DualDesertEagle

KICK!
    • Up x 2
  5. Coolitic

I am going to necro this topic. It is incredibly simple and crucial to implement yaw control with mouse. I would like to hear at least one reason why SOE won't do it as it is making them look bad.

I apologize in advance if yaw control with mouse has already been implemented, but since I could not find how to do this, I will assume it has not been implemented.
    • Up x 2
  6. Zhakathoom

I agree with this as I find the current flight controls extremely awkward to say the least..

Binding yaw to the mouse x-axis seems to me like a good idea.

- Z
    • Up x 4
  7. blackboemmel

if you hold "A" or "D" at the moment (yaw left, yaw right), you ESF turns left (right) veeery slowly. so: without extreme-buffing ESFs yaw-ability it would be very frustrating to have "yaw" on the mouse's x-axis: move your mouse 10 meters over the mousepad from the right to the left, and you still haven't done a 360° turn.
    don't overestimate ESFs yaw-capabilities or think putting "yawing" to the mouse would increase the yaw-speed.
    and aiming with settings like that??? moving mouse up/down (y-axis) = extreme response from the ESF. moving mouse left/right (x-axis) = almost no response from the ESF.
    another try to explain it:
    imagine in front of your hovering ESF an enemy ESF is hovering, same altitude, 20 meters away, right in the center of your cross-hair. then it moves 10 meters to the left. how long do you have to press the "A" key to get your crosshair back on the target? i think it will take like 4 or 5 seconds!!!! (with "dog-fight airframe" it's a little faster, but still...). now imagine you have to do that with your mouse: moving your mouse from the right to the left side of mousepad, lift it and repeat for 4-5 seconds.
    no good idea.
    yaw on mouse x-axis only would make sense with an ultra-extreme buff for ESF's yaw-capabilities.
    i don't want that.
    • Up x 4
  8. starlinvf

But will this actually help pilots get better? All I can see is more people trying to turret their way around the map.
  9. Coolitic

Mouse is more precise and is meant for aim. You cant have mouse up for aim and mouse left for roll because that messes with your aim. Rolling does not count as aim and so it should be separate from pitch control.

This is an option most people want and it is incredibly simple to implement and there are no downsides.
    • Up x 3
  10. Ziogatto89

I also agree. It's nice to see more people standing up for something so basic that should really have been fixed in the beta.

I've been asking for this since I got my alpha squad, and I will keep asking for this till SOE shuts down all the servers.
    • Up x 3
  11. Ziogatto89

Nobody wants to do 180° turns with yaw. (Do you turn with yaw? LOL!)

Nobody wants yaw to be ultra fast.

Nobody wants to change anything whatsoever about the way aircrafts work.

We just want the ability to rebind the controls of the aircraft to our liking.

We will do exactly the same manouvers we've been doing, we will only use different keys to do so.

We want this ability because:

1) Many other flight games have it.
    2) There's absolutely no reason for this to not be implemented.
    3) Aiming with one axis on the mouse and the other on the keyboard is imprecise, akward and counter intuitive.
    4) Keyboard on/off aiming with A/D is imprecise and the boosts to yaw speed from dogfighting airframes only serve to make this worse.

Please avoid making up falsehoods when you don't even understand what we are asking and instead ask for clarification before making up such nonsense.
    • Up x 4
  12. Zhakathoom

I want to be able to turn with yaw. Or in other words have it bound to the mousemovement so that pitch and yaw where controllable on the mouse, and rather have roll bound to A and D. Seems more intuitive.

But do I turn with yaw? No. Because at the moment it doesn't really work. Roll+pitch however is a poor mans substitute to the mouse-yaw.

I've yet to see anyone define how fast ultra is, but I'm pretty sure I want that.

Acutally.. I do. I think the way it works now is kind of sucky. And I believe there's a lot of people who agree.

I agree with most of this.

Ouch.. Shot your own foot there I'd say..

WE do not approve of this statement, and NOBODY sympathize when YOU make "falsehoods and don't even understand what we are asking".

"Holier than thou" makes for a frowning brow.

- Z
  13. SacredRay

You know, I always wondered why flying was so hard in this game... Because I used to be beastly at the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games - and you had to be good in those games.

Now that I fully understand that you can't control Yaw with the mouse, I think its the biggest reason why flying is so unintuitive.
    • Up x 2
  14. FateJH

I'd like to unbind either roll or pitch from the mouse, so that I'm not plagued by having to do both just because my mouse is a bit twisted when I move it. I'd probably unbind pitch; but, if you can unbind one, there's no reason to not include it for the other axis for the sake of completion. Pilots want to call this the best flight model in the game industry, especially for what kind of flying it is trying to accomplish, but that does not mean improvement is impossible.

PS1 flying model? you could hover and pitch up or down without falling out of the sky; you could strafe in midair; you could bank turn; you could set a constant thust level without being stuck going full throttle. They understood dead-zones and even extended the concept of "dead-zones" to the mouse controls. Expanding the controls to allow the same kind of movement flexibility (ability to invert onself completely) to maintain that aspect of flight that PS2 currently possessed would not be difficult at all. In fact, you could even bind a manual flight mode switch, if you want to get elaborate.

Here's a thought: give the Infantry model the same controls as ESFs, without the speed or the ability to fly, of course, and we'll see how enjoyable an experience it is.
    • Up x 1
  15. DualDesertEagle

Well that's how flying works, dude! U bank ur aircraft and pull slightly up while also giving some rudder input to avoid unintended climbing (I HAVE to know coz I used to fly gliders and made it all the way to my first flight in a single-seater)

So for normal flying the A&D yaw isn't even bad, but for aiming it just sucks.

That's why I would put yaw on the mouse AND on Y&X and roll on A&D.

BUT THE DEVS WON'T LET ME AND THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!:mad:
  16. Zhakathoom

Ahem.

Actually, most airplanes are not piloted by mouse at all... So, no. That's not how flying works, dude.

Besides, this is a schi-fi fantasy universe game, and if I want it to yaw and pitch on my mouse then I want it to yaw and pitch on my mouse.. Much like I want the game to reassemble my physical being as well as my mental faculties through the use of alien nanotechnology when I die. Very much unlike how it really works in real life..

It's not a matter of realism. It's a matter of gameplay and playability.
    Flying in a game like this should not require a degree of autism to accomplish.

AND any serious game company that won't let you bind whatever function to whichever button/input is just plain failing on so many levels. Although it usually is because of the console dumbification. Like how awkward menues and lack of a proper userinterface has ruined the Elder Scrolls franchise for me. It's just a heretic disregard for what gaming and gamers are about. Now that PS2 is to be launched on the PS4 I assume there will be more "dumbifications" forced through on later stages.

- Z
    • Up x 2
  17. Jertornas

It is a very awkward flight model to learn, I just spent a bunch of time in VR training ducking and diving through trees and canyons to get a hang of it.

Edit: oh and best advise I was ever given, bind pitch up and pitch down to two side mouse buttons if you have some.
  18. blackboemmel

I'm sure i understood what you were asking for.
    I tried to explain why that would not work.
    It seems like you don't really understand what i'm talking about.
    Not sure how experienced you are with flying in PS2, but maybe you should try to practise flying a little bit more and then think about your request again.
    If that doesn't help i'll send a prayer to SOE to give you what you want.
    I'd really appreciate to watch a video from you, flying with the keybindings that you are talking about.
    Or - instead of that video-upload - something like:
    "Oh great Uber-Bommel, i'm really sorry i called your higfhly experienced and superscientific explanations "nonsense", next time i'll give a little more respect to your posts!"
    :)
    • Up x 1
  19. iccle

This definitely needs to happen, but unfortunately i don't think it will since 2 years of various people asking for it has not even yielded an answer to why its not going to happen.
    • Up x 1
  20. Daikar

I don't understand what's so weird about it, the mouse acts just like a joystick does in a real airplane.
    • Up x 1