Pilots revulsion towards Coyotes/A2Am

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gleerok, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Epoch/Eep

Theres 2 significant aspects for fps aiming

Tracking and Leading

Coyotes are an outlet for leading.
    Main cannon and tomcats are outlets for tracking.

They take different aspects and often people will excel at one and not the other. Before Coyotes there was only limited forms of leading in the air game seen in slow velocity main cannons like the AH :)

I use Coyotes/AH and fly with people who detest them and make me feel dirty (in a joking way) but the fact is i like leading. People forget that main cannon/AB tanks is still very powerful and has advantages where a full AA/locks loadout doesnt. The air game is now very much like ground where there is alternate loadouts with different perks. Sadly many pilots enjoyed the one build for everything days which admitably was very fun but it couldnt last.

Look at it this way. In a tower fight if i keep running into shotgun users and dying and i insist on using a long range LMG I'm doing somehting wrong. Pilots need to change it up too. Many have but many have just left instead.
  2. xDesideratus

If you want ~*~HONOURABUU SKYDUELS~*~ go play War Thunder, it's free to play and pretty fun. I'm usually pretty content to laugh at "dedicated pilots" anyways, because for all the complaining they do, they contribute nothing at all to anything in the game; I don't understand why you would fire up an MMOFPS about large-scale warfare and combined arms, and then try so valiantly to ignore the game and play something totally different. I guess just keep being awful~
    • Up x 2
  3. Tuco

it could be balance din other ways, other than making it obnoxious to use.

Like it could be really slow, have long range, and do half as damage.

It could drastically reduce maneuverabiliity/top speed while equipped

It could only have 4 shots
  4. Daemeon

Don't lump ALL dedicated pilots together man. Some (perhaps most) have no issue using what tools we are given and using them. I find it laughable when I get insulted for using any weapon other than those deemed "MLGPro"... more so when it's after they are a burning wreck on the ground.

Yes, there are some that are VERY vocal about non-nosegun usage... but they just need to be ignored for what they are...

Scrubs that cannot adapt.
  5. nukularZ

You guys just don't get it. You never will. The air game just happened to be a lot more intense, competitive, and FUN before A2AM "ruined" all of it. I'll never forget the thrills and adrenaline rushes of those 3vs3 nosefun (see what I did there :p) fights where helping keep your wingmen alive was equally as important as staying alive yourself. It was a very steep learning curve to get there but beyond worth it once you started to get the hang of it. I tried to adapt and all that happened was I wasted 1400 SC on tomcats and coyotes. I maybe have like 20 kills between both of weapons combined. I'd happily trade the removal of reversal maneuver for the removal of fire and forget weapons.

I don't care anymore these days. I hardly fly anymore so whatever is going on up there no longer concerns me. But never will I agree with statements like this simply because every other every game has fire and forget missiles so PS2 should as well?
  6. Gleerok

If one kind of gameplay works, it doesn't mean we don't need to create and add more content for new ways to paly too.

I have lots of fun with nosegun fights, and I also have fun with other weapons. Sometimes they are annoying, yes. But if the gameplay is not diverse, it will not evolve, and will just die.

Look at COD. There is a formula that works: It sells. Even thought they add one new thing here and there, the CORE game is still the VERY SAME THING, over and over again. Different than extremely long franchises like Zelda and Mario + derivatives (25 years each) that literally only kept the aesthetic similarities and protagonist name and then changed THE WHOLE THING, in several installments, and guess what, both sell a lot as well. Difference is; Cod is slowly dying because its the same thing over and over, and I very much doubt it will last 25 years.

We don't want the game to die because it doesn't get new stuff.

I only play because I know there will be new things in the future, I am very excited for the achievements system and I want to have a taste of it during my gameplay!
  7. DQCraze

Did you ever think it might be fun to use lockons. Your basing the fun fact on your play style. I find it incredibly boring to nosegun. I want missles and gadgets and whatever else I can get. How would you like to just have a rifle as infantry, no nades or rockets or pistols. That would be incredibly boring.
  8. Taemien

Everytime this thread gets bumped, my squadmate rams his Skywhale into a 'skygod's' ESF.

He won't shut up in TS about it. :p
  9. Aerius

They're garbage and shouldn't be in the game, end of story. People try to hide behind the "but I'm in an air superiority role because I don't want to lolpod farm!" mentality, but honestly that's bull. EFT is clearly the better choice for versatility and survivability, whereas lockon rockets are the choice for easier kills. The sad thing in PS2 is that unlike some other games where lockon rockets are only used by scrubs who literally can't use their noseguns, PS2 is full of good pilots who could easily win DFs using their noseguns, but choose the easy route of using lockons.

What really annoys me is that SOE adds low skill/low risk/high reward weapons like Coyotes into the game, and leaves out high skill/high risk/high reward weapons like the Mass Driver.
  10. TTex11

I love that satisfying feel of letting a Tomcat loose and watching it chase a wounded plane down to finish it off. Makes me wanna shout, "FOX ONE!" everytime I launch one.
    • Up x 3
  11. Thesweet

Neither should boring dogfights with a boring nosegun. Why not just take it back to the compete basics and fight each other with sticks? Missiles are awesome fun and the more the merrier. Jdams, satellite guided, and the fact is with missiles you could implement combos with wingmen. More counters as well, just light up the sky.
  12. DQCraze

Ya cause being jumped and one clipped with a hailstorm requires so much skill. Get off the nosegun requires skill thing. The only thing that requires any skill is the hover dueling, and that happens like oh, never...
    • Up x 1
  13. DQCraze

Yes and I played the hell out of quake and doom and had adrenaline rushes from that. You're stuck in the past the air game is just as intense if you want it to be.
  14. NoctD

I do this with Coyotes/Banshee... although there's an occasion for tracking/accuracy with Coyotes. When the Banshee alone doesn't take down that pesky Burster MAX, I switch over to Coyotes and try to plant them directly on target. Its always nice to get that Burster MAX kill with an ESF.

Gotta love how people cry about Coyotes when they get shot out of the air with it, but in reality by the time you've gotten enough Coyote hits to get an ESF kill most times, there's really ample time for anyone with decent nose gun tracking to finish you off first. Anyone not supplementing Coyotes with nose gun fire is at quite a disadvantage, but the panic that seems to set in on wannabe nose gun pilot types causes them to react in weird ways and not focus on fighting back.

I dare say - some pilots seem to be rather averse/afraid of Coyotes! Its a wrong perception that causes them to lose/bail out/etc.
    • Up x 2
  15. Xervous

The only problem I have with the two kinds of A2AM is how much damage they deal when compared to their ease of use. It's simply numbers that need to be tweaked a bit to get things in a better spot.
    • Up x 1
  16. Gleerok

That is very common. I've had MANY good pilots jump on me first, take me to less than half health (and then I fire supp), once I react with nosegun fire + coyotes (since they got too close), they enter state of shock and I am able to flip the tables easily. I know because I used to be like that. Oh, hit by coyotes? No chance to fight, give up completely.

Now I fight back just like I would fight a Tomcats + Nosegun only, and guess what, the outcome is not that different from nosegun vs nosegun fights. Its an opponent like any other.

Now engaging on a Coyotes+Nosegun vs Coyotes+Nosegun (both with fire supp) fight and winning, thats an awesome feeling too.
    • Up x 1
  17. DevDevBooday

Wanna know whats also damaging to the air game? Elite pilots that annihilate you within seconds. The ONLY reason I fly at all now is because Coyotes have actually given me a chance to defend myself, not a great chance, but a chance. I SUCK at flying so am I just supposed to never fly at all cuz im not good enough to compete with the best? Ill stick to my coyotes thanks.

And actually i find Coyotes FAR more enjoyable then missing with my nose gun time and time again to a reverse thrusting psycho. It is fun for me, I really enjoy them and sometimes I actually win!

A2AM are more useful against Libs and Gals, I find them pretty mediocre against ESFs.
    ESFs are the A2A vehicle yet getting in close is suicide on a Gal or Lib. A2AM allows you to engage from a distance. They fill their niche.

If people hate them, good for you. The only people that do are people that dont need them and can survive well enough on 1337 nosegun skillz.
  18. RobotNinja

You literally have to be right up their *** for the Coyotes to auto-lock and they do significantly less damage than Tomcats even if you hit every single one. If another pilot is within Coyote range and you can't sink a full rotary clip into them then that's your problem.
  19. Aerius

That's a toxic mindset. You should be trying to get better at flying, not looking for crutches to help you along and never actually improving. Hell, I'd go as far and say that it's the same mindset most hackers have; "I SUCK at playing so am I just supposed to never play at all cuz im not good enough to compete with the best? Ill stick to my hacks thanks"

Just for the record, I'm not anywhere near "elite" in PS2 flying; I probably win about 6/10 of the 1v1 DFs I get into. Considering the fact that in BF3 and 4 I could win a 1v1 or 2v1 DF 9/10 times, this kind of annoys me. My solution? Get better, not cop out and grab some fire and forget BS.
  20. Gleerok

Fire and forget has been long gone.

You waste precious time locking tomcats plus you need to keep the target on sights, otherwise the missile will not track

Coyotes need specific range, and for high speed engagements, you need to properly lead them. I am only critical about the considerable spam capability, other than that they are OK.