100% serious questiopn

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Duban, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Duban

Exactly what do anti-infantry mines bring to planetside to make the game better instead of just more frustrating and worse? I can't for the life of me figure out how place and forget mines make the game better for anyone.
    • Up x 1
  2. patrykK1028

I hate mines too, the most when some noob places them on vehicle spawn. But they are good as defending tool and they also bring some tactic to game.
  3. hostilechild

There is mineguard and flak armor, if you don't use them and can't see the obvious mines (well except the few that fall below ground) then you deserve what you get.
    • Up x 1
  4. Duban

Like what exactly? They might be able to bring some sort of tactic to the game in theory, but they'ree almost always placed in some busy, but less than obvious spot for free kills.
    • Up x 2
  5. Duban

I guess I should clarify. I'm specifically talking about the anti infantry mines like the bouncing betty, claymore, etc. The once that can be just placed around a busy corner where they can't be easily seen but will probably be run over.
  6. Halcyon

A vehicle deterrent, an infantry deterrent, a way to kill MAX units, and way to kill blockade sundies, base defense, flag defense, vehicle pad offense.
    Plenty of great reasons mines are in the game.
    • Up x 2
  7. DAdinictus

Flak armor and stop being a baby.
  8. patrykK1028

Lamest farming way in the game*
  9. M4gn1

Guys relax. He is talking about mine farming. Just placing it somewhere random where a lot of people will walk over it so he can farm a kill. Not the defence of hardpoints, which is the answer on your question I guess.
  10. xboxerdude

I thought mines as they were added were really OP and dumb ever since the beginning. I could see being able to drop lets say 20 mines and they would do 1/20th of the damage currently , so if someone is going to run through ha minefield they die, but at least they could react to a mine field and stay away not insta death.
  11. Duban

When was the last time you ever saw a mine used for any of these? Mines would be userful if they were used as a deterrent like in PS1, but they're much better for farming kills as they stand.
    • Up x 1
  12. Pacster3

I hate to get killed by mines. You kill 3 enemies, sneak in to the generator with your repair tool at hands...and then....booooom. Sucks.
    BUT: I know it's my own fault. I call the dude that dropped the mines a loser in my mind(cause he didn't face me)...but I know I had a chance if I paid attention or used the implants that about all of us got. It's me that is to blame. I could have avoided that situation. And that's the difference between mines and a rocketlauncher, sniper bullet or jackhammer to the face or spawncamping tanks and lolpodders. It never gives me a feeling of an unfair advantage for the enemy.

It definitely is a tactical weapon vs. rushing zergs to slow them down.
    And last but not least it's always a lot of fun to drop a mine...then see the zerg running in a different direction...forget the mine("resources wasted, darn") and then have a sundy kill-sign on your screen 2 hours later("Wait. What was that for? Ah, right...those mines...back then. Who would have guessed?").

I use them way less than I should...especially when anyway having 750 resources laying around.
  13. Halcyon

Every single time I play.
    Yes, they are. Really.

Don't know which server you're on but on Connery they're used all the time.
    • Up x 1
  14. JesNC

Excitement.

Every corner you round could be your last one. The tension couldn't be more palpable! Even moreso if you're able to lure some poor sod into his own team's AP/AT mines.
    • Up x 1
  15. DrButtes

Are mines fun to die against? No. But is dieing to tons of other things to but the fact remains mineguard/flak armor both exist, are extremely cheap to cert up, and have a massive effect on your survivability to mines if you really find them too much of a problem. I have a feeling though if you were able to determine what weapons have killed you the most, mines would be at the very near bottom.
  16. Axehilt

Mines add a way for defenders (who spend the time and resources to do so) to bolster the defense of an area. Perhaps not to the extent that defenders could bolster defenses in PS1 (where the mine limit was much higher, mines were dual-purpose AI/AV, and where engineers had automated spitfire turrets to wear down attackers) but by a good amount still.

On the flip side, you have the option of cautious play and/or flak armor and/or EOD in order to be progressively more resilient to mines (potentially wasting the other player's time/resources if you're efficient in your actions, giving you a small but noticeable advantage.)

The deeper the tactics are in the game, the better. The only thing to avoid is making any one counter-tactic too specialized. For example flak armor wouldn't work if it only protected against mine damage -- it just wouldn't be worth it. (Though honestly it's not even worth it when protecting against all explosive damage, and maybe the game needs more forms of explosive damage being tossed around so that flak becomes a bit more viable an option. Either that or flak armor should become a bit more flexible a choice, rather than being so specialized.)
  17. AkharGriffon

I actually like getting killed by them. Plus there was this one time where I was having a shootout with a guy who retreated into a building. So, stupidly, I charge after him and get blown up by the mines he set down. It was fun.
  18. MajiinBuu

"serious questiopn" :D
    Anyways, I'm curious as to why you think someone should place a mine where people are unlikely to cross? The sole purpose of anti-personnel mines is to kill infantry, why would someone place them without hoping to kill someone?
  19. reydelchicken

They are supposed to be for area-denial, or protecting the rear of an engineer manning a turret etc.

However thanks to the nice fact that they don't seem to despawn, most deaths to mines happen in some random hex where there is no battle going on, and you randomly step on a mine or have your vehicle randomly explode because you didn't want to bother walking 200m to check the vehicle spawn pad.

If they despawned when whoever laid the mines walked more than 300m away from the area, then I don't think there would be a problem with them.

And while flak armour is a "solution" often proposed by those who spam mines... giving up something like shield capacitor or nanoweave just to prevent the random death every 1-2h is not worth it by any means.
  20. Phyr

If you see them used all the time, just use flak armor and get over it.
    • Up x 1