Is Light Assault a viable assault?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Niller, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Niller

Is Light Assault a viable assault class*
    Hey all

I do not post a lot of threads in these forums, and I do not want to scream "OP/UP".

But I ask this since I never see dedicated LA squads in competitive play, most squads seems to never use them for anything but squad beacons, however it is an assault class but I do not see it used that way.

So I want to ask a couple of things, to hear what community thinks about LA balance:
    1 - Do you think LA is a viable Assault class?
    2 - Can LA switch place with HA in squad play? Or only in special occasions?
    3 - Is LA versatile enough as a class to compete with HA? Or is it specialized enough in something usefull to make up for its lack in versatility?
    4 - What could they add/change to the LA in the LA update, that is both fun, only for LA, and usefull.

Remember these questions is both for squad play and solo.

And before anyone get ********, no this is not a buff or nerf proposal, I just wish to create some attention on LA, also with the update which must come at some point.

----> And I have an Idea for LA that could be fun and make LA more useful and versatile, and also hopefully prevent any HA nerfs the devs are talking about. Rather buffs than nerfs right? Here it is: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...assault-anti-vehicle-grenade-launcher.182308/ <---- This part was about nerf/buff, but only an idea.

Yes I am an LA player. Sorry for my spelling.

That is all. RIP Ceres.
  2. Niller

Sh*t the title is wrong... I meant to end it with "Class"
  3. Goretzu

Is Light Assault a viable assault class? Yes, it definately is.

Could it use more varierty and utility? Yes, most certainly.

Does it suffer in terms of the above because of the power of C4 fairies? Yes, without a doubt.

Should it have a Just Cause 2-style grapple? I think so. :D
    • Up x 1
  4. Niller

Nice to get some feedback :) thanks!

I hope to get some more though to start a discussion.
  5. Nexus545

I used to mainly play LA. I think it's great at storming bases because people don't expect death from above. In the end of the day, the team getting the most kills normally wins out a fight.
  6. Niller

But is that as a squad? Or solo play? I also play LA solo, that is fun an usefull atleast when there isn't a lot of air and vehicles, C4 is mandatory.
  7. Nexus545

I played with my outfit a lot of the time. It's best use is in bypassing the environment to flank enemy positions that are stopping your teams progress. Things like blowing up a tank, turrets or medics reviving their team.
  8. Niller

Ah ok.
  9. z1967

The good/bad news is, good LA players are a fairly scarce. LA in general (ironically) is held back by its jetpack. Whilst jetpacking, you gain maneuverability (that is seriously overrated imo) but have no accuracy when firing back. If every time you used the HA shield or the medic aura your hip accuracy went to the edges of the screen people would be complaining without a doubt (hell, medic aura has no downside to the loadout for activating it or using it). If I had to improve one feature of the class that would be it, accurate shooting whilst jetpacking. Make that maneuverability count for something whilst in combat.
    • Up x 6
  10. Iridar51

My outfit does. I regularly play LA while rolling with an outfit squad and during ops. I'm often the first on the point, I flank and kill enemies, hunt down spawn beacons.
    Yes, LA is viable. The ability to fly allows to circumvent chokepoints and deliver damage to exposed enemies, holding those chokepoints. Grenade Bandoleer, Frag Grenades, C4, UBGL - all provide a lot of explosive burst damage.
    Carbines provide superiority at close quarters due to inherently better hip fire accuracy. The Jaguar, for example, exceeds Orion in close quarters, I'd say.
    No. Heavy Assaults are essential. Without Heavies setting the front lines, there will be no opportunity to flank those lines for Light Assault. I'd say 2-4 LAs per squad.
    Light Assault is specialized for base fights, be it defending or attacking. This is a big portion of gameplay, and some would say - the most important part. So we could say that LA is a versatile class. But completely taking over HA? No. All classes are important, as I laid out in this post.

Mobility buff in all stances. Faster Jump Jets. Increased accuracy while flying on Jump Jets. Fix the bug that disables Jump Jets for a couple of seconds after a grenade throw. Fix the bug that causes Smoke Grenades to fail when thrown at long range. Reduce the detonation delay on Flash Grenades from 4 seconds to 1 second.
    • Up x 2
  11. SeanFree

LA is an amazing class but it's hard to learn. If you want to see a top tier LA play look up Vonic on Twitch/YouTube. I learned a lot from watching gameplay and after adapting my play style to mimic his more and my K/D has improved massively.
  12. anchorman

I agree with z1967 the LA should be able to aim while in the air not sure why they nerfed this.

The problem I see with the LA in general is its more of a outside class and most points are indoors , so when people squad up to get a point the norm is Max with a engie partner and a few medics and HA to complete the mix and maybe a infil for their darts or sensors.

Now as a solo class the LA is hard to beat in some situations like bio lab fights were you have plenty of places to fly and shoot and you can have loads of fun with c4.
  13. Iridar51

It makes the medic a big, glowing, green target, and allies around him.
  14. z1967

That's a pretty insignificant advantage to something that heals your health and can be used in a firefight. At least the shield has a movement penalty associated with it.
  15. Iridar51

It's insignificant in direct combat in a well-lit area.
    It's easy to lose not spotted target with dark camo at night. I kill lot's of medics at night just because I'm able to clearly see their position because of the green glow, sometimes can even be seen from behind cover or around corners.
  16. Clay

It has already been said: The LA is neither a very good 1on1 at point black nor a good supporter for a squad like medic and engineer. It is not so useful to hold a point against enemy waves. I play different classes in squads, but when im lone wolfing or in public squads i mostly play LA. If you know where the good spots are and have learned the structure of the buildings (most are very similar) its really nice. Then pick the right weapon for the situatuin and practise aiming a little and the killstreaks are coming.
  17. JesusVoxel

I am much more usefull infantry killer with light assault than with heavy assault.

It would be great to have some squad support tools for LA, as many outfits don't wan't them in their squads, even if you would be much better at holding the point and killing enemies with it. I would love to have some kind of identification device that would mark for your team all above BR80 players and squad/platoon leaders for example.
  18. Icedude94

I've used light assaults in squad play for far more than deploying beacons. I flank and kill enemies that are in cover or hard to reach places that are firing on the squad. This way my squad can advance.

This isn't just a kill streak video. Pay attention to the minimap on where the squad is and you'll see that I'm killing every enemy who opens fire on the squad.

• Up x 3
  19. omfgweeee

I think the only thing that must be done to make LA from never picked in serious play to always pick atleast 2 is :

Remove granade smoke launcher from S series to anyone!

By doing this :

1st. NV scope will not be 100% required in competitive play.
    2nd If u want to use smoke tactic u will need LA with granade bandoleer and u will not be able to spam the smoke infintie, which returns us to NV scope not being mandratory in competitive play.

20. DatVanuMan

No no, I like the title. It actually is a more interesting question that more people can relate to:)