Pilots revulsion towards Coyotes/A2Am

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gleerok, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Taemien

Oh there will be much crying. For some reason there is a clique of pilots that have this 'honor duel' syndrome. They have developed a style of play that leaves little deviation. If you don't play their way, you're a noob and a scrub. Its actually the other way around. They either refuse or fail to adapt.

But they like to come to these threads and claim that A2A is boring or unskilled and that it shouldn't be used. That's propaganda, you all aren't fooling anyone.

The solution to this is make these tryhards L2P. Keep using lockons till they adapt or quit. We don't need these so called 'skygods'. This is why in every thread I see asking about tips for flying, I encourage them to use lockons. As they are the most EFFECTIVE way to deal with these people. Though I do warn them that actual good pilots have adapted and it won't be so easy. But the others are a free kill, because.. well chances are.. they'll bail or /suicide once locked.

Another thing is to max out the acquisition timer, then pull a ESF and ram the guy. Keep doing this every time they come back and eventually they'll rage quit. As an added bonus they might even break a peripheral like a mouse or keyboard. Meaning they won't be back for a couple of days at least. Ramming is something some of them hate more than lockons.
    • Up x 5
  2. TTex11

Seeing how many people have started coming around to realizing Tomcats and Coyotes aren't the end of the world and that whose who hate you for using them are just raging at their inability or lack of desire to adapt brings nothing but tears of joy to my eyes.
    • Up x 1
  3. Xervous

Time to go farm infantry with pods / AH to get some Auraxiums >_>
    ^^^^
    I'm surely not alone in thinking that
  4. CWorth

And neither can a modern jet fighter either. For example a Aim-120 Amraam Radar Guided missiles top speed is Mach 4.
    That is why they have chaff and flares as counter measures to use when a missile is launched.

The only thing a modern jet fighter can do if out of counter measures is turn 90 degrees to the missiles path and turn to try to out turn the missiles own turn radius and make it miss.

And being most air to air is not one vs. one you try lighting up your afterburners or engines to outrun say a radar guided missile that is just painting a big fat "shoot me" target to any other aircraft or AA emplacements carrying Heat Seekers.

You can out turn a missile with proper maneuvering and get it outside its ability to follow but you wont outrun them due to the ranges they are launched at and their speeds. Those missiles can reach max speed faster than the fighter can and will close range faster than you can outrun it.

That is why maneuvering and counter measures are the prime counters when shot at.

Also you pilots have it easy as unlike real AA missiles the ones in game have to actually hit you to do damage. Many AA missiles in reality are proximity warheads and just have to be nearby to go off and bring the target down.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gleerok

Really? Watch the video on my signature, several coyotes versus coyotes engagements and I had a lot of fun. I am not promoting my own video here, I'm using it as an example because, guess what, most videos out there don't feature coyotes for the reasons I started this thread.

I am in favor of Coyotes/A2Am receiving adjustments, but in no way I think they make things automatically boring. Fact is gameplay itself.

Its a heck annoying to have someone locking into you with Tomcats from far away? Yes, so is being teared apart in half a second by a stealth air-hammer or rotary when you are engaging someone else. Nothing is perfect.
  6. TheBand1t

In real life if I get hit in the head by a 120MM AP round I don't get revived by magical space pixie dust
    Nor do I respawn
    Hell, let's model infantry units getting fatigue from carrying around an LMG with 400 rounds, a rocket launcher with 5 rounds, a sidearm with 8 mags worth of ammo, etc

Realism should never have any sort of bearing in game balance, at all.
    • Up x 3
  7. Gleerok

Agree. Perhaps auraxis has greater gravity than earth, and all soldiers use exoskeletons, aircraft need more energy than on earth to move even at the speed of WW1 WW2 planes...

who cares, nanites

Sometimes reality doesn't fit with the game. Sometimes its a starting point, sometimes its the whole game itself, and very often reality is not even the start point and is nowhere around the game (Mushroom world anyone?).
  8. Gleerok

Didn't you read the patch notes? Some rewards require taking down other ESFs.

Also, I doubt devs would encourage us even more to farm infantry, so they will most likely go encouraging vehicle vs vehicle.
  9. Xervous

IIRC it was 5 auraxis, of which the dogfighting directive could contribute 1 auraxi towards. ESFs have 4 noseguns and 4 secondary weapon systems. Farming infantry with AI nosegun / rocketpods / even coyotes is faster than auraxing hornets or A2AM. Thus I expect some pilots that want the reward who have not already auraxid those to pick them up.
  10. Axehilt

That about sums it up. +1
  11. WTSherman

12. Longasc

Just don't follow these stupid directives.

I loathe them and after seeing the slightly different gun as reward I must say the only good thing about the system is that you can totally ignore these "kill x guys with y" -> next stage x5 or "do this or that" directives.

This is single player shooter style they are pushing, look forward towards people trying to "achieve" their goals rather than actually playing for an objective or the team.
  13. drhead

As a lock-on and coyote user, I can tell you that there is very little to do while waiting to reload other than to use a burst of nosegun to further damage your target, especially with the coyotes. This is the bridge between being able to use lock-ons and being comfortable with the nosegun.

Against lock-on users, you should have a relatively easy time countering them if you acknowledge that it is difficult to lock-on in close quarters. By the time the first missile is fired, you should know the general direction they are coming from, and you should have activated either your flares or fire suppression and will be either at full health or pretty close to it. Once you close the distance, you should have no trouble defeating them if your assumptions are correct about lock-on users having no skill. On the other hand, if you are facing multiple aircraft alone, then you may have some trouble with this and you do deserve what you get from this due to the fact that you separated yourself from other friendly aircraft. That is just the result of bad tactical choices.

That you want them nerfed as hard as the ZOE (meaning nerfed into complete uselessness) simply shows that you are unwilling to adapt to changing conditions and wish to be able to win by using the same strategy, never having to deal with anyone using anything but an equivalent loadout to your own.

Coyote missiles are a different story, though, and I will openly say that they are a bit OP, but only for one reason: if you are very close to your target, they will very easily hit. These are normally engagements restricted to noseguns, but coytotes end up dominating at this role. The only good thing that can be said about this is it encourages people to use their nosegun when they actually get an opportunity to do so. To fix them, they really only need a minimum arming distance and heat-seeking mechanics that are more smooth than the current 90 degree turn towards the aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  14. Xiad

I still don't see how this is a problem. The big issue is how difficult they are to dodge when you AREN'T close to the enemy. ABs are exceptionally useful for getting you further away from a target whilst still being able to shoot, so shouldn't that be the divide? Short ranged high DPS versus greater dodging capacity against noseguns. That makes more sense than keeping them effective at ranges where nosegun sniping works.
  15. drhead

It can be a bit difficult to aim coyote missiles at distant targets due to their low velocity. I can really only effectively hit targets that are either moving in a straight line (in which case shame on them, have a salvo of coyotes) or when they are close. More skilled coyote users (yes, I actually said that) could probably hit better, but there is an upper limit to how much a target's movement can be predicted. If you're doing a lot of turning it is a lot easier to dodge.
  16. Gleerok

Its not uncommon for me to lead way off screen, watch my signature video and you'll see many examples of that. Sometimes it even feels kind of ridiculous xD, but yes, its possible to hit targets that are moving quick and are far away as long as you predict the lead (even if its way off crosshairs / screen)
    • Up x 1
  17. Tuco

Tomcats should be fire and forget, be alt-fired, and they should have a wider lock on reticule. Or remove them from the game, I want my 1500 certs back.
  18. Nepau

With my ejection seat on every aircraft I guess I'm not an Honourable pilot. Then again I'm mostly a ground pounder and use my ESF as transport and to do as much damage as I can before I bail and join the fight on the ground.
  19. Gleerok

That would be breaking the system all over again.

It would be the equivalent of allowing back the old Striker and old ZOE
    • Up x 1
  20. sucoon

i got 3 Nosgun on auraxium also lolpods and hornets. but still want the antaris and a2a to, why not, i also got 7/9 carabines at araxium. directives not only count