When is that MAX revamp coming?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Kriegson, Jul 7, 2014.

1. UnDeaD_CyBorG

There is a second MAX revamp?
    First thing I hear.
    Likely not happening, ever.

I'd personally love MAXes getting some actually useful abilities, or maybe even a change in how they are used; say, a turn rate cap and less damage taken from the front, so you can dance around them, but a frontal assault hurts.
    ... I want a Lasher on my Max.
    • Up x 1
  2. Concordia

I am shocked to hear this feedback about the MAX. I'm 6 days into PS2 now and of all the classes I've toyed with, the MAX hands down has been the most fun. I don't get sniped with one shot by the farming campers, I can stand my ground against an infiltrator who hits me on the backside out of nowhere, and can outmaneuver vehicles as it's agile enough to do so.

I have armor piercing rounds on one arm (which are surprisingly effective at taking out infantry by cutting through heavy shields like it's tissue paper) and anti-infantry close quarters guns on the other. I still haven't found an outfit so I'm wandering around alone just traveling alongside the other VS into engagements. Fortunately for me, the VS engineer players are very charitable in repairing me throughout the course of a fight.

I adore the MAX class. Am I missing something?
    • Up x 3
  3. starlinvf

Must be an NC MAX. Not entitled like the TR MAX, or apathetic like a VS MAX, but uncertain as to what you are. That is the NC MAX.

Regardless, judging by your suggestion you, like so many, see the MAX as nothing more then a kill farming weapons platform. You wish to be immune from the ironic mortality of a squishy infantryman. To be like Tank, and farm infantry and vehicles to your hearts content.

No! Before you are ready to seek change, you must first find clarity. Brother Ripshaft knows this truth, knows its pain and struggle. We exist for our brethren, not in spite of it. Their weakness in our strength. Our strength is their Shield. We proudly push forth where they can not, into the fire, in spite of fear, in spite of our enemies. We watch over head to strike fear in the vultures. We watch below to batter away the wolves. We lay down ourselves so the others may prosper.

In that moment of darkness, when all hope seems lost, when you are too afraid to go on, when the enemy believes they have you beaten..... I ask you, listen out. For amid the roar of gun fire and explosions will come a soft thunder. And when you hear it, you must stand strong and answer the call. You must throw away fear, steel your nerve, and dig deep for your courage. We have watched over you, but for all of our power we can not act alone. So I ask you to raise to your feet... Let our enemies know fear and panic!!! Let them learn the sound of our Thunder!!! They shall hear it, and they will know that a storm in coming!! Because TOGETHER, my brothers, "we" are a force of nature. And as I march forward, undaunted, into the mouth of Hell itself, behind me you must follow.......

....... For in our wake, lies the path to victory!!
  4. _itg

No, it's just forumside, where everyone complains about everything. I've complained a little about NC MAXes myself (their lack of AI range, specifically), but I have a blast running dual grinders (the large mag shotguns). I love charging at an enemy or two who think they're safe harrassing me from ~30m (obviously more of a small fight tactic), and slugs are ok for picking people off slightly farther away. Dual falcons are fun for the open field. With the aegis and flak armor, you can go toe-to-toe with tanks, and although it takes some luck, it's very satisfying sniping infantry from 150m.
  5. Inactive

As VS I miss my ES AA starfires.

New AI gun: Lasher, just the Lasher.. One for each arm, you lose ADS anyway so it's already being nerfed by going on the MAX.

ZOE is complete **** as it is right now, just give us jumpjets already (Or if you want to keep ZOE: Remove damage buff, remove Increased damage taken, Buff movement to previous tier and reduce the cooldown by a lot (Because every TR/NC would cry if the cooldown was removed again.. despite their abilities not having one))

But most importantly of all: Where the hell are my flamers!? When will we finally be allowed to douse our enemies in napalm? And it damn well better come with a 'holy **** I'm on fire!' panic effect.
  6. LordMatt XLVIII

7. Frosty The Pyro

the frag cannons were grenade launchers. Fuse based, not contact. It would be THE spam gun, as the grenades were basicly the frag grenades you throw as infantry. likely nerfed a bit as you had like 4 round mags and could duel weild them, but still, not overlaping with shotguns at all. pick an area and make it explode (in about 2-3 seconds). shotguns are pick a guy in hugging distance and make salsa right then.

slugs on max shotguns is the definition of crap shoot, no ads means the range increase isnt that much and small mag means you cant just use law of averages for ranged damage. More power to the folks who like em, but not for me.

Of course I run AV max for all three factions, I mean I have second ai guns, but I basicly never use em. maybe that's why i love lockdown so much, because it goes GREAT with pounders and good with bursters.
  8. Kriegson

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I have a good ol time with dual slug grinders, popping people from distances they think are safe, or FALCON PAWNCHing people who think they can take out a AV max just because they got close.

But you're fooling yourself if you think the MAX is a fully fleshed out class or vehicle compared to virtually any others available.
  9. OldMaster80

You forgot a little detail: it's the class dealing and taking more damage in the game. And another thing: it already had a revamp. It was the first class to be revamped actually: special faction skills (in the beginning only Charge was available) and tons of weapons.

Let the other classes be revamped, like Light Assault for instance. Wanna blame devs for something? Ask them why they developed a flamethrower for Max Units, pushed to test server, saw it was underpeforming and suddenly mothballed without ever explaining why.
  10. Pikachu

Frag cannons are time based.
  11. Pikachu

If PS4 goes well they might consider keeping the PC servers up and we might survive long enough to see at least the start of the next class&vehicle update cycle. There's still more than half left and most of it has been failures.
  12. Dimachaerus

You know, all this "lol it was already done, it was the first one! ****!" is really ignorant BS.

The max "revamp" was horridly botched and never completed, Higby even stated so directly. Instead of asking when the revamp is, the better question is "When will it actually be finished?"

We were told we'd be getting such wonderful things as:

ES Abilities - True-ish, they are still pretty damn sorry.
    Travel mode - Tested? Never went live
    NS Flamethrowers - Tested, never went live
    NS Grenade launchers - Tested, never went live
    New cosmetic armor/helmets - True.
    New weapon attachments - Tested, never went live.

Heck, what about some QOL improvements hey? Every vehicle and infantry class in the game gets optics, except the dude in the big full body, hyper advanced, nanite-assembled, fusion/nuclear powered, exo-suit. We can't even get a dang flashlight duct-taped to our helmet, no matter how many engineers we throw at the problem.

Give us spotlights, give us IRNV, give the poor falcon and comet users some ZOOM. Give us the laser sight options for our guns, let us do fun things like be a walking sensor beacon, or carry extra "consumable" ammo for our buddies, let us have our travel mode so we can actually get to fights without trying to bum a ride since you made us unable to re-deploy.

Un-**** the ES abilities: give lockdown faster lock/unlock times and have it increase accuracy/reduce recoil as well, fix the Shield so it actually works when you need it most, allow NC maxes to run/melee with Shied up, make ZOE not a ****-tier version of charge (this would most likely require complete removal since that is LITERALLY what it is)

PS: Make our cost in resources commensurate with durability. Can't run over a lighting, can't kill a lightning with a pistol, lightnings don't die to a single brick of c4 (which costs waaaaaaaay less than a max), and that doesn't even touch the mossie/reaver/scythe's abilities. Yes, I know, we can "go inside" but a lightning or ESF is easily ten times more survivable and can net far more kills than a single max.
  13. _itg

I'd love to see the promised features, no question, but optics would be difficult both because there's no easy way to use them (it would have to be bound to the keyboard, and people who own expensive gaming mice would gain a large advantage by rebinding it to an extra mouse button) and for balance reasons (AV MAXes are already quite good).

It's unfair to put a darklight on a MAX because infiltrators are utterly helpless against MAXes as is.

I'd like to see the ES abilities reworked, too.

MAXes don't need to be cheaper or made more durable. Remember, we can be revived, while tanks cannot, and flak armor stops you from dying to 1 brick of c4. I agree it's dumb that we can be run over so easily, but it's not all that likely to happen, anyway.
  14. Dimachaerus

Dude, even average mice nowadays have buku buttons, that isn't even a point, just use the same button you use to turn your weapon attachments on/off, no need for a new key even. As for the lights, no need to make them "darklight" just y'know, a big friggin light to help with night fights.

As for being revived, sure we can be revived, but you can hop out of your lightning and repair it yourself, whereas with a max you either A: have a buddy glued to your hip to repair you or B: cert regen armor and get insta-fragged by a C4 fairy/Medic/HA/Engy/tank/lib/esf... you get the idea. The biggest difference however is that both the lightning and ESF have enough mobility/speed to potentially get out of a bad situation, whereas the max does not.

Getting run over is one of the easiest and most common ways for a tank/flash/harasser/sundy to get rid of an AV max, and it really shouldn't be. Yes, we should take damage, but getting insta-dead is no fun. Honestly, I think it'd be okay if we could, jump over them when they try to run us down. We have big hydraulic pistons in our suit's legs right?

PS: Most implants are completely unusable by maxes, Flak armor reduces direct hit damage for everyone but maxes, everyone can quickly redeploy to "get into the fight fast!" except maxes, even cosmetics can only be made for "non max classes", notice a trend? At least we don't have a timer anymore, just a rather steep resource cost.
    • Up x 1
  15. _itg

Well, whether you think the mouse button thing "isn't even a point" or not, it's quite possible that it's one of the big reasons why there aren't any optics as of now. The standard is a left mouse button, a right button, and a scroll wheel which doubles as a middle button, and SOE isn't going to force people to buy non-standard equipment to play their game properly--that's money which should be going toward fancy helmets! FWIW, if I could bind both left-fire and right-fire to my left mouse button, I'd be happy binding zoom to RMB and calling it even. I'm just explaining why I think MAX optics won't be implemented.

Also, there's the fact that they'd have to alter the menu to have an optics section separate from the weapon attachments, because you'd have to give MAXes one optic for two weapons. This kind of thing sounds easy in theory, but it's the kind thing which is just enough work to make devs focus on doing something else.

I'm with you not getting run over. If our standard damage resistance applied, I imagine we'd be fine. Flashes, in particular, should take at least as much damage as they deal, since the MAX looks quite a bit heavier. A non-darklight headlight would be fine with me.

As for the rest, well, it sounds like you do mostly AV work out in the field, and I can see why you'd be upset with the balance vs. lightning/ESFs there. You trade a lot for the ability to switch to an AA/AI loadout at the nearest terminal and to enter the rooms of the capture points, but if you don't want to do that, it sucks. Indoor AI MAXes are extremely effective, and a lot of people are already murmuring that they want them nerfed, so I'm afraid any direct MAX buffs will just cause a backlash that leads to a much-too-harsh nerf a month later.
    • Up x 1
  16. DrBash00

Wow, i thought this would be anoter threat on "please nerf the maxes"....
    I would really love to see some crazy stuff for Maxes, but i dont think it is gonna happen... And i am serious about the balancing aspect, if you give the max more abilitys they are getting stronger and in Biolabs TOO strong maxes are a problem. Especaly in small fights, your suggestions would make maxes real op.
    (with the old ZOE max, i whiped out a whole squad + enemy max ... all alone -> because of the movement speed)

So YES i would like new skills etc. for maxes but dont forget about the "normal" infantry.

Btw. i like to maxcrash, and to defend against maxcrashes... nothing is more satisfying as stoping a whole max crash with a concussion granade and/or 2 bricks of c4.
  17. Dimachaerus

Ehhh, the mouse thing stems from the fact that even my old crappy computer here at work from way way back in the day has a mouse that probably cost 25$ and has the side-to-side scrolling wheel and a pair of thumb buttons.

I think the real reason they haven't yet is very simple: They're a bunch of lazy schmucks.

Also, yeah, I'm one of those weird open field max pilots hunting tanks and skygods. I do sometimes go into the furball in bases, but it's a LOT easier to get c4'd inside than outside, even with max rank flak. I'd rather hunt sundies and cut the enemies ability to respawn, than get bricked in the face for a few infantry kills.

Boy do I love killing skygods.
  18. Makora

The one thing I would love to see on my TR MAX are new "two hand" weapons. What I mean by that is one "Assault rifle" style heavy rifle with an AV "underbarrel" add-on and two "heavy weapons" for AV and AI that can only be used when locked down. So for example a banshee or Marauder for AI and... a buffed Vulcan for AV?

The HAR (heavy assault rifle) would in essense be either a kobalt or a basilisk. With ADS option. Lacks the sustained damage of the current options, but you can actually hit your targets since you're more accurate. And the AV add-on (either a version of the Pounder or maybe even something like a dumbfire striker, but weaker) gives it utility. Think mixed loadout but actually somewhat usable.

The Heavy Weapons category however would work on a very weird balancing aspect. Since these weapons could only be used when locked down, means that the MAX is harmless when mobile. But conversely, when locked down it'd be able to put out so much damage it's, by all intents and purposes, OP. They'd have no magazines, just a single ammo pool and an overheat mechanic so you can't just hold down the trigger and lock down a door. But you'll still be putting out enough fire to put the fear of death back into the rebel scum.

Option one gives the MAX more range and a bit of versatility. A more lone wolf approach. The other option gives the TR MAX just straight up power. But there is a cost and you will most likely be using it only when playing in a team since you need someone to feed you ammo and watch your back.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pikachu

It's done when they're not adding more stuff for the year.
  20. Dramonicous

Hahaha we already had MAX revamp...
    We got ES abilities and a new AV weapon.
    All the other stuff like grenade launchers and flamethrower got scrapped/delayed indefintely.

Atleast MAX isnt as hated by SOE as infiltrator is (Vanu infiltrators)