T4 AMP:

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Klondor, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Klondor

I know this is the test server and things are not going like they are on live; typically everyone runs around with max rank nanoweave armor so damage testing by combat isn't going to be reliable in the least.

At first, the AMP looked promising, but i quickly learned to hate it's current iteration.

Pros:
    • Rate of fire is very high, 930+ RPM
    • Fast reload time
    • neat-o reload animation.
    Cons:
    • 100 damage per bullet at 8 meters
    • 21 round magazine disappears faster than you can say "holy hell this fires fast!"
    • Nanoweave armored targets make the already low bullet damage a nightmare for the wielder
    • Cone of fire bloom is incredibly fast making even aimed shots silhouette your target in CQC.
    • Just about anything will out-shoot it in close quarters where it's combat range is supposed to be most effective.
    At 100 damage per bullet with 21 rounds in the magazine, the T4 AMP can dish out a no-so-impressive 2,100 total damage per magazine at it's minimum damage range of 8m. 2,100 damage is enough to kill 2 people per magazine granted you hit all 21 rounds center mass. Statistically speaking, this is a sufficient amount of damage to be considered effective, unfortunately in practice this is far from the truth. The T4 AMP right now is showing the same signs of ineffectiveness just like the Trap M1.
    The entirety of my experience with the T4 AMP was highly frustrating, the rate of fire was satisfying but the damage output was horrible when the time came to use it for it's intended purpose; trying to save my skin in a pinch. The only kills i managed to score were on targets that were already on death's door with little more than about 10% of their health (observed with Adv. Targeting implant). Trying it with stalker cloak went about as well as you could expect.

[Edit: Accidentally posted when editing title]
    There are a few things i personally would change to make it more effective.
    • Reduce the Cone of fire spread when firing.
    • Decrease the AMP's damage drop-off in close quarters by a little
    • Increase the magazine size by 7 rounds, totaling up to 28 rounds.
    • Up x 4
  2. Kociboss

I agree it needs to be buffed slightly. I would implement only one of your proposed changes not all of them at once though. I believe that increasing the mag size would be the most sensible solution.

The reload doesnt make any sense but I really like the animation and the "clang" sound.
  3. Klondor

I'm tied between the magazine size or the cone of fire reduction, both are quite significant to the weapon's ability to sustain damage.
    As for the reload i actually think it's rather okay, it reminds me of the FN P90 SMG which has a transparent magazine at the top of the weapon.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. TheKhopesh

I've been suggesting the mag be upped to 24-26 rounds to make it more on par with the standard TR repeater's +2,350 damage per mag.

But yes, I think they (the three new ES pistols) all could use a tad more ammo.

Spiker could use an even 20 (again, to put it on par with the damage-per-mag/killing potential of other CQC pistols).
    AMP needs 26 rounds to make it effective in it's role of "spray-and-prey" sidearm.
    MagScatter needs 5 shots per mag and 35 more RPM.

The MagScatter is really the worst off of the three so far.
    While the others have just a few issues, this pistol is riddled with them.

In battle you'll usually miss 2-3 pellets per shot, and now you have a weapon that takes 3 or more shots just to kill an infil.
    The Magscatter has a high likelyhood to miss at least one round thanks to it's arm-shattering recoil animation, which only compounds the issue.
    I don't think it should literally blind you from seeing your target with each shot.
    It's an unnecessary and MASSIVE downside that makes using it effectively after the first shot far more difficult than any other weapon in the game.
    (Personally, I want to see the animation recoil direct the butt of the gun down to the hips more, and the barrel mostly horizontally, as that's the proper method of distributing the inertia on a shotgun if you're firing it like the character is, instead of holding it tight to the shoulder.)

On top of the Scatter's difficulty to kill with it's ammo/animation, it's also got slow-as-a-snail DPS.

Right now, it has the DPS of a med/long range pistol (At only 1,200 DPS, which you'd expect to find on a ranged pistol like the magshot, manticore, beamer, or inquisitor).

For the closest range limit on any pistol in the game, this really needs an increase.
    While the TR have the Repeater at 1,577 DPS and AMP at 1,561 DPS.
    The VS have the Spiker at 1,602 DPS, the NC's magscatter is a slow 1,200 DPS.

Upping the magscatter to 155 RPM will put it at exactly 1,550 DPS.
    {10 DPS per RPM, thanks to the damage model being divisible by 6.
    (600 damage divided by 60 seconds in a minute equals 10 DPS per RPM).}

That doesn't beat any of the others, but it gives it the necessary level of keeping up in CQC competitively.
    As well, the NC have no pistols that surpass 1,400 DPS, and this would fill that gap nicely.
    • Up x 3
  5. TheKhopesh

The reload works like that of the American M1 Garand from WW2.

It had a distinctive reload.
    When the 8th -and last- shot was fired, the clip that entered the weapon with the ammo was ejected along with the shell from the last shot.

This created a "clink" sound that was quite unique.

Here's a video with the clearest sound of that clip ejecting that I could find.

Watch the video at 3:20-3:30 for that sound.

• Up x 2
  6. z1967

I like TheKhopesh's balance ideas (also, dat garand), so my only remaining beef is that the pistol looks kinda weird. Personally, i would prefer a Skorpion style design for a machine pistol. It looks cool and is what I usually think of when I think of a machine pistol. Current textured iteration looks kinda like a shortened TRAP (last I checked).
  7. minhalexus

I just want 2 more rounds for my desperado.

And I can forget all about the new NC pistol.

AMP could use a slight DPM buff too for the sake of this thread.
  8. DatVanuMan

The AMP is my second favorite PTS pistol. Very close second to the Scat. OH, the Scat:cool:
    Both could use buffs, though. The AMP is amazing, but HEY. 937 rounds per minute, give it a GOOD magazine sizeXD
    Otherwise, it is how ALL Terran weapons should be. High RoF, low damage, but makes it up with an amazing new reload animation:)
    As for the Spiker... Waste of my life, VS pistol syndrome has caught up with it:mad: Stupid burst, WHERE IS MY HITSCAN?
    • Up x 1
  9. Syphers

I approve Desperado need a good 2-4 additional rounds
  10. Shadowomega

Was going to say increase its damage tier from 100 to 125 tier as more TR will still favor the repeater for its balanced RoF with stopping power.
  11. Klondor

I'm really 50/50 on that. It could work.
  12. Klondor

Well after putzing around the PTS VR training room trying to find ways to make the AMP a feasible idea, ive found that the only way to reliably land hits is to rapidly tap-fire it with a laser sight on. By that conclusion, if they're going to push it to live in the sad shape that its in right now, we're just getting a full-auto sidearm that forces you to use it almost exactly like the TX1 Repeater with less damage and marginally less room for error.
  13. AdmiralArcher

the only thing about the reload that makes no sense, is that the iron sights move, that is the worst idea ever and is a great way to ruin your sights

but i do find the AMP lack luster, even if you burst fire it its not that great...the Emperor is way better, and i think in CQC, the AMP is outshined by the spiker and the scat mag
    • Up x 1
  14. DevDevBooday

Why use AMP over Repeater
    - Full auto
    - 0.1s faster long reload time
    - Slightly more max ammo

Why use the Repeater over the AMP
    - More damage per clip
    - More DPS
    - Free

Absolutely EVERYTHING else between the pistols is identical.

Idk about you guys but to me there is no selling point whatsoever for the AMP.

If it was like the Inquisitor was to the Emperor (Lower damage for a bigger clip) then it would be worth it.
    So if the AMP had a 30 round mag I can at least then go 'Do I want more DPS or damage per clip?'

See SOE to sell a new gun it needs to be a genuine sidegrade, not just a shiny new downgrade

Essentially you are spending 1000 certs, sacrificing dps AND damage per clip just to be able to click and hold rather than click 7 times per clip.

Now dont get me wrong, I dont think its underpowered, the problem is it has no point. I just want an actual reason to buy it.
  15. DrTeeth

The bloom needs to be fixed, and perhaps like 3 more rounds added to the mag. Right now the AMP is meant to be a close-range machine-pistol but the bloom is so bad that you have to burst-fire it, which negates the entire point of the gun. With the laser attached, at 8m you should be able to hip-fire the whole magazine in one go and have every round land on a human-sized target.
    • Up x 1