NAR for AP vanguard?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by miraculousmouse, Jul 26, 2014.

1. miraculousmouse

Recently i have hopped into the vehicle game, with much satisfaction as i can now take out vehicles more effectively then i ever could as a Heavy. But now i am questioning the value of NAR. I did fully invest into it, but then switched to mineguard when i got gibbed by tricky engineers a couple of times. That is because of my hastiness though, so do you guys think NAR is the way to go? Or did i make a huge mistake in not certing out stealth :confused:
  2. Alarox

When solo I almost always use NAR regardless of my loadout. I hate taking so long to repair. I also find being able to repair on the move to be helpful. However, if you don't find NAR to be that useful then don't use it.

If something like mineguard saves your life and you don't feel like you get much use out of NAR, then simply use mineguard. There's nothing stopping you from switching between them and finding out what works for you.

With regards to mineguard though: in the majority of situations you can physically see the mines if you're attentive or simply anticipate that they're going to be there. The exception is on Hossin when mines are underwater. If you can learn to see the mines then you'll be able to use something else and get more out of your tank.

--------------------------

TL;DR: I think NAR is the best for soloing but if you feel like you'd get more out of something else then try it. However, mineguard is never necessary to counter tank mines except on Hossin.
    • Up x 1
  3. NC_agent00kevin

NAR is my choice on the rare occasion I drive a Vanguard...Stealth a second option. Nothing like a surprise Ap Vanguard behind you :)

But really, Alarox has it right. Repairing while on the move is a huge help, if not just to give a buffer for you to repair less while out of the tank. If you're having trouble with mines though, by all means use what keeps you alive more.
  4. Flashtirade

NAR for general or solo play or just not worrying about fixing every plink that may happen over a long period of time
    Side armor for being on the front lines or acting as a damage sponge for infantry or other vehicles
    Stealth (rolling AP/AP) if you want to go ganking vehicles with a friend
  5. Shatters

NAR for solo play/playing with a random gunner and there is no repair sundy/random engineer army around.
    Stealth for when you are going to flank.
    Prox rader if you are going to face huge numbers of infantry (but then again, you shouldnt be using a AV/AV vanguard for that :rolleyes:)
    Reinforced side/front armor (I prefer side because of the better damage reduction and bigger coverage, and being able to strafe while showing side) for the rest.

I am usually rolling with reinforced side armor myself, because it covers half of the tank with extra damage reduction, and it allows you to show both front and side armour vs enemy tanks, which helps tons in tank vs tank, especially when running racer frame. So while NAR has its place, if you got a somewhat decent engineer in the gunner seat, NAR gets outclassed by stealth and reinforced armor pretty quickly.
  6. BadLlama

MAX rank stealth on your AP vanguard. Its worth all the certs in the world just for the portion of enemy pilots that will fly right over top of you without noticing you because you don't auto popup on the map.
    • Up x 1
  7. Odamit

If you feel like NAR works for you, keep on using it. I've only certed into the first rank of NAR, way back when and didn't feel like it it could be worth any play style; solo or not. I might check it out more in depth / fully cert it out once the cert refund for timers happens, but I'm not exactly eager. I prefer mineguard mainly because I'm usually traveling from fight to fight.

I don't think stealth's really worth it either; the tanks that I have flanked (not coming up directly behind them) still don't seem to notice until after the first or second shot (AP, less than 100-150m away even). I haven't certed into Stealth either, and I can't say that I've experienced enough fliers that have stuck around long enough to kill me (looking at those annoying ESF's using the nosegun from a high altitude where not even a Walker can get an angle :mad:) could benefit hiding from non novice pilots that might actually be looking for some A2G action.

To give a little more direction to Alarox's mineguard bit about where to expect them; placing them on the road / path, but just before / after a short or steep inclination (just before/ after the crest on a hill or on the short angled bridge sections). Exclude the EOD implant (assuming players are going to travel slow enough before they show up and run them over lol) , either 1st or 3rd person view while traveling isn't a guarantee to avoid these.

My suggestion - one of the four three armor sides or proxy radar. Mineguard > Front > Side > Top

Learn to see? :confused: Lol wut? :p
  8. KnightCole

I have NAR and fire suppression on my TR AP Lightning....works nicely I guess.