SOE and their part in the TR promotional fiasco of yesterday

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WaaWaa, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ronjahn

What did people expect to happen? A YouTube celeb, who is pretty much popular for being a jerk/ people love to hate him, who rage quit the game shortly after starting to play, who has minimal leadership skills in this game, brought who knows how many BR1s to the server to follow him around like lemmings.

Did people expect that the NC/VS would go easy on them? Why should they, the majority of them are never coming back anyway unless Angry Joe tells them too, the ones who actually enjoyed the game will stay regardless of what happened and what joe tells them to do. And let's not assume if it turned out better that angry joe would stick around, it would be hurtful to his career to stick with any one game for to long.

I love how this thread is turning into a nerf vehicles thread too; any excuse to turn this game further towards infantryside, I guess.

Of course people were going to go out of the way to wreck him and his little army of noobs. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 100 people out there stream sniping them.

But don't get me wrong, the new player experience could use some improvements, but I don't get the outrage at SOE over what happened. To me it seems like the community as a whole is to blame especially if VS and NC chose not to fight each other. The prospect of easy kills and XP is probably pretty hard to pass up.
  2. HadesR

Also be nice to talk and thus answer questions during down time .. Ie: When you are dead ..

I'm not sure why you can't unless SOE expect an influx of dead trolls ... But those are easily ignored with a button click ..
  3. Plunutsud pls

I feel a great disturbance in the Force...

As if hundreds of new TR players cried out and uninstalled the game after being warpgate farmed for an hour...
  4. ronjahn

It's a shame that there isn't a General/New Player chat. I was totally impressed the first time I logged into Eve because of this feature. Also within 10 minutes of creating my EVE account a moderator sent me a message offering to show me the ropes, ask if I have any questions, and sent me a message full of helpful links and suggestions on gameplay.

Even though I didn't stick with the game, it was a good new player experience that has helped me give good reviews when I tell people about the game.
  5. WaaWaa

I agree with all of the above. Good luck to ya if you start that outfit.
  6. Delta102

Remove K/D, problem solved, all it really does is enforce cowardly behavior and penalize people for fighting against the odds. It can also serve as a reminder of just how bad you are at a game which can demoralize people. In my opinion it shifts focus off the empire's success and more onto individual success.
    • Up x 2
  7. WaaWaa

Yea and thanks. Also the farming in this game (ruthlessly killing the same guys over and over again) is not the farmer's fault because they're just playing the game as it has been designed for them.

This game was dumbed down compared to how difficult it was to get into and understand how to play Planetside 1, yet you get more frustrated and more easily dissuaded from continuing as a new player because of simple things like how a base is designed. I mean let's take typical non-main facility where the point is exposed to the elements and you have to traverse quite a bit before arriving at the point. Between the spawn room and that point, you have to navigate through liberators and/or or ground vehicle designed to farm infantry to get to that point. As a new player, you'll probably die a few times before you realize "this isn't happening I'm not gonna get to the point". Then you spawn a tank thinking "Ok now I can kill that 1 tank that kept on killing me". Only you're one tank is no match for the large armor presence dedicated to just sitting there and spawn camping. Plus you also note that people are just sitting in the spawn room not accomplishing anything and you're the only one trying to get rid of that armor. As a new player without an outfit, after trying different things, you're like forget this I'm done with the game it seems impossible to get anything done.

New players need to be shown the way properly, and right now the whole process of getting new players to understand how not to get repeatedly farmed by joining the right outfit or even getting basic questions answered is hit and miss. SOE needs to do a better job at helping new players understand how to play the game without the new player frustration getting in the way of learning and enjoying the positive aspects of the game.

Yesterday's fiasco I feel as others have noted was a fluke because all the new players decided to join one empire. However, that's not to say that brand new BR1 players aren't having equally disastrous experiences. So yesterday just highlighted a big problem with the game, and maybe SOE will take note at the TK'ing in wg, at the lack of proper help for new players, hopefully.
  8. Munq

What fiasco? What happened? Where can I read more of this?
    • Up x 1
  9. WaaWaa

Some guy named Angry Joe who does video game reviews and some other youtube celebs what have you got a bunch of people into the game yesterday and they all decided to play TR and they got the everliving cr4p farmed out of them by VS/NC during a members double xp weekend. Let's just say it was bad.
  10. Halo572

'Schadenfreude - pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. This word is taken from German and literally means 'Harm-Joy'. It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune.'

Which is not my normal state, but when it comes to the developers of this game and what they have done over what they have promised and could have achieved - bring it on.

Didn't know anything about this being cut off from the bollocks that is social media, but it sounds like it really was something to behold.

And lets be honest, it is an accurate depiction of the state of the title and what new players can expect.

Maybe they can release a hat to make it all better? That or develop a game with objectives.

One or the other is good.
  11. EliteEskimo

Keep in mind it's also a major problem with the overall community. The fact their are outfits like GOKU who purposely went out of their way to farm the AJA at the warpgates while taunting them just to make sure "Angry Joe got Rekt" doesn't help either. Honestly the NC/VS who purposely targeted the AJA are just as much to blame as the people tking them. What better way to get new players in the game than to farm the crap out of them all day/night long for their first day experience. SOE should've communicated with BWC/903rd/VG so we could at least split these guys up and Shepard these guys around and they wouldn't all be in one massive blob getting farmed.
    • Up x 3
  12. Iridar51

Well what do you suggest SOE do to prevent "promotional fiascos" such as this one? Disable lolpods and HE for a couple of days during the promotional event? Maybe delete them from the game and be done with it, then.
    • Up x 1
  13. volth

GG

But why didnt they switch faction if they was stuck?
    Its the only thing that works when someone camps you. If its 100 vs 10 anyway :)
  14. Vanon

Here is the reality. In the last 2 days, I had a group of 3-4 people from my outfit on Hossin fighting in the 48+/48+ Battles. We have captured something like 10 bases with our tag. There were outfit's there with 15-20 members and yet we were competeting with BAX's couple of guy's for outfit dominance over the bases. That doesn't say to me that oh our outfits rock, it tells me that the majority of the player base either does not know what to do, or does not care to do it. You can blame outfits like PHX and TAS for not teaching their members all out want, but there will always be those type of clans in any game. The game mechanics and tutorials need to teach things like "bring sunderer's" or "get on the point". Right now they reward idiots who spawn camp, and die constantly trying to get a kill.

As your suggestions, i think there should be a one time investment of 500-1000 Certs (no station cash alt), to enter a help channel that matches you up with a guy who wants to learn. It should also be limited to BR 40 or 50+, so you know they at least played the game a while. They guy that you helped should be able to click helpful or not helpful. Helpful gives that guy 10% of his xp for the day or something like that.

The idea that is currently going around with "mentoring" PUB platoons will only be abused by outfits wanting to spam invites, with little thought if any, in how they are going to help these new players get good.
  15. EyeSuckSoBad

Maybe SOE needs to make a new map, maybe one not as big as the others, and not have so many bases on it. Cap the map to BR 1-20. Give suggestions to these new players in the form of pop-ups at certain intervals, something like "You have enough certs to ... then put suggestions like 'this is a good time to buy the IRNV scope for your weapon'" or other suggestions, which would scroll across the screen, like "This would be a good time to get in a tank and take out those other Lightnings" then put a marker on the map to the nearest vehicle station. Because by BR20 you should be ready to play with the big boys.

Or they could make a mentoring type system. Anyone over BR75 can have 'students'. These students would have to be in that players squad, and in the vicinity of that player. For every 25 certs the student received, the mentor would receive 1 SC. Surely if something like that would happen those BR75+ players would be willing to teach new players the ropes and how to be better players, since they would have a monetary interest in the player learning all they can. Of course if the student doesn't feel he/she is learning anything they would be able to leave that mentor and find a new one.

All of those things would of kept me playing back when I started in April. I made it to BR6 (or 8) then quit from the frustration of not really knowing what the heck was going on. I came back the first part of July to try again and while I have gotten better the frustrations still happen.

The high BRs farming the newbies is the same thing that has killed alot of PVP oriented games and servers. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should. Without new blood alot of games dwindle and die, and only those high levels are left, and then you have a stalemate resulting from strong players not wanting to risk losing to other strong people.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this read doesn't bore anyone.
    • Up x 1
  16. Rayco

While I completely agree, this would make most try hard vets cry as this is the only meta game we have after 2 years. A better approach would be to hide K/D even further in the stats by replacing it with KA/D. Kill+Assist/Death and factor EVERYTHING into assist so you end up with some random high number to make everyone feel good for being a team player and more accurately target what you should be doing on the battlefield and show your effectiveness in a support role. When I say EVERYTHING should factor into this I mean spot assists, healing/reviving/repairing a player/vehicle who then gets a kill, and someone who spawned on your spawn spot and then gets a kill. You'd never have a shortage of active sundies or medics if they can pad their stat like that. Players could still calculate their K/D themselves by removing assists from the equation but most players wouldn't go that far.

There are way too many support roles in this game for K/D to be such a high ranking stat. I can't believe team based stats such as points healed, players revived, points repaired, number of enemies spotted, equipment hacked, sunderers blown up, beacons blown up, players resupplies aren't tracked and displayed. I primary medic and K/D is not an accurate view of me as a player. I focus on objectives, eliminating spawns, and working with and supporting my outfit and my outfit focuses on fights and objectives that are best for the NC...not our K/D. I can usually average a K/D of 1.7-2 on my medic. I can usually average a K/D of 3-4.5 on my heavy. I can usually average a k/d of 10+ if I spend my play session in a vehicle,MAX, or lib/gal. K/D can be padded, as with all stats, but this should not be the key performance indicator for a player in a game where there are so many support roles, teams are so large, and death so frequent.
    • Up x 1
  17. Govedo13

This is how it should be done.

Last time when I checked this game had 3 factions. Promoting only one of them is idoitic and jerk move.
    None of the 3 should receive any form of favouritism over the rest.
    Community response by allied VS/NC to warpgate TR is just the prompt answer of that idiocy.
    • Up x 1
  18. volth

Under pop faction should get bonuses too.
    Its very hard to win against a faction that can have both -50 vehicles cost and infantry cost.
    And I still think that they should remove CL, because how fun is it for new players to need to wait in the VS map to spawn on Hossin or the other continent.
  19. DK22

I'm really not all that good at PS2, I have my fun thou, but after watching a few vids of what happened,
    feeling pretty good about my game, kind of a 'and I thought I was bad' :)
  20. palto1826

i would love to see a mentoring program in this game, it doesnt even need to be built into the game...i really miss starting the game and being brought to the warpgate...there people did ask questions like: what gun should i buy? how to gain more resources? whats that awesome helmet you have on? so on and so forth...i am also a little sad at the state of some of the platoons ive joined...i mean if you are going to lead a platoon, at least relay to the troops through the in game voice whats going on instead of just through TS and get mad when people dont follow waypoints...as for angry joe...i dont know what the true objective of him playing the game was but i would not be surprised if it was more of an attempt by soe to get an outsiders perspective of what needs to change in this game...a perspective that is not biased by one faction or another but by someone whos played a whole bunch of different games...and maybe getting a few new players out of it
    • Up x 1