State of the Game: Player Studio

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by d_carey, Jul 24, 2014.

1. d_carey Developer

I owe you guys an update on Player Studio in Planetside 2, so here we go.

We understand the current turnaround time from submission to getting in game isn't acceptable, and we're actively focusing on improving it. The first step is always to figure out the bottlenecks and treat them individually. It's not a case where a silver bullet is going to make the whole process instantly faster, there are multiple aspects that need refining.

Tramell's done a great job of getting the art side of the process as streamlined as he can - he's caught up at this point and has been for a while now, and his turnaround time will only get better as his (and the PS artists) tools get better. We've just incorporated the new PS tool into our Main build, so testing can begin on that. PS2 is the flagship for testing the tool that the Forgelight games will be moving to at some point, so that's good news for our process. Tramell will have more details on that as it works our way through our build process.

Another aspect is the web tool that the PS artists use. We have some feedback already identified that will help speed up entry of assets into game. We're working with the guys that support that to get those additions in.

The last area for improvement, and currently the biggest bottleneck, is the ability for Design to set up the data on the new assets and schedule them in the store. We're alleviating this in the short term by reallocating some resources on the team (fancy talk for adding another Designer to process PS items). Obviously, we don't want that as a long term solution, since most of the data entry is redundant and can be handled more efficiently. So part 2 of the solution to this bottleneck is improving the tool support we offer to the Design group. Part of that is getting the data in a more digestible format that is easily tracked, so we're looking into 3rd party solutions that are specifically designed for tracking externally produced art assets. We have a leading candidate in evaluation mode now. While that is getting set up, we are updating and improving the data entry aspects by creating better database tools.

The goal is that the combination of these changes will help us get assets from the PS artists brains into the game a lot faster. As parts come online, Tramell or I will update you all so you know exactly where we are in the process. We're all looking forward to getting the pipeline streamlined so that we can increase the types of items we offer on PS and also the turnaround time.

Thanks again for your support in making Player Studio such a success.

-David
    • Up x 17
  2. Rhumald

I was unaware that this was the flagship game for that... explains a few things and makes some difficulties a little more acceptable lol.

I'm just wrapping up a well deserved Vacation from work; you don't fully understand your mental state until you've had time to reflect on it, and really relax, sometimes. I'll be working on some submissions in the near future; I've had some ideas for a few armor sets (if that's possible) for a while now.

If there's anything we can do on our end, at all, to make the process easier for you, even if it's something most people wouldn't be expected to know how to do, I'd love to hear it, so I can work on getting that integrated into my personal workflow before I get too far into things.
    • Up x 1
  3. Who Garou

Is there any hope of getting standardized design programs or flats from SOE directly?

I would like to try my hand at this, but I'm a bit apprehensive about downloading 3rd party tools.
    It does seem that it would help the porting process if a standard tool and templates were used by players making submissions.

The tool - so the output would be the same.
    Templates - so that players are designing within acceptable perimeters that can be used in the game.

Just some thoughts.
  4. AdmiralArcher

its somewhat unrelated, but coudl you guys have a contest for gun models? like redesign certain gun models and then have like...your name on it? something that isnt just for SC?

that way we dont have to buy a skin just to have a cool looking gun?
  5. whitupiggu

Have to wonder what kind of effect on performance having assloads of cosmetics is going to have.
  6. Torok

Sounds good, but what about In game weekly batch releases? Why is ready stuff on hold?
    Like harrassers cosmetics
  7. Hoika

The speed in witch things have been being released is very discouraging in a way. I tend to lose enthusiasm in making additional items while waiting for ones already accepted to progress.
  8. Xelsia

You'll find most cosmetics don't even render past a certain range. Everyone/everthing just looks stock with a splash of camo
    • Up x 1
  9. Longwangjohnson

There's no way SOE would be able to put out a design program in a timely fashion that could possibly compete with the tools available right now. Anything you want to know about the process of making items can be found in the Player Studio forums, and you can learn a lot about the process from the "Inside the Player Studio" videos on youtube/twitch.
  10. Imezruez2

I would really dearly love the ability to customize a vehicle horn. I'm running an outfit called Heretic Blood clips from the Avenged Sevenfold song Heretic would be EPIC as horn sounds when we are pulling in for an assault.
  11. NCDaniel

I saw that 'Brotherhood' Infantry Helmet. Let me praise the sun with it.
    • Up x 1
  12. Dr. Curiosity

Is there any chance that the rest of us out here will be able to use Player Studio in the future? Or is that in the too-hard basket?
  13. MasterMagnus

Thanks for the info on this. Looking forward to a streamlined pipeline.
  14. mavix

Great news! You are doing an amazing job, David, moving Player Studio forward :)
  15. P.W. Smith

once playstuido is simple i will use it
  16. Kirppu1

I love new game engines a crap ton so part of me understands why the game is lagging from time to time, but we've already seen how nice a engine can be ex Frostbite so we are kinda disappointed, but i know you guys can make it better via patching
  17. Who Garou

Read the Player Studio website.
    Thanks for you input.

I can't be sure of the security of software from third-party websites.
    Between my internet security and possibly making some cash, I have to go with internet security.
  18. GeneralPeragorn

Any update on EU submissions?
    • Up x 1
  19. TheKhopesh

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. Cest7

Nice, I was going to draw up a MARPAT cammo but I was sad to see that the submissions were temporarily closed :(