Why is my view/render distance 1/2 of what it should be?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rhapsody, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rhapsody

So... ive made posts about this before, even sent pm's threw the forums to a few of the dev's.. and no reply.

Figured i'd try it here and see what happens.

Why is it that a little over a year after PS2's release.. those of us wanting to play PS2 in 3-screen mode such as Nvidia's Surround, or ATI's Eyefinity, still have issues with the rendering engine?

At first, we had the issue where we were stuck in a 3.5 zoom state. For example:

This: https://imageshack.com/i/n9jqv9j

Rather than: https://imageshack.com/i/0787ejj

(Would link the pics directly but Image-shack got greedy and want you to pay for everything now =T )

So... to fix that issue.. the dev's gave us an option in the video options. A little 'wide-view' type checkbox to pick.

Well.. that pulled our view back to were it should be yea. But its now brought up a different issue. Everything that those playing on single-monitor resolutions can see. I cant.

My rendering distance is close to 1/2 of what it should be. Meaning i get to play while seeing this:

(sporry for the voices in the background, i took these clips while playing with a few twitch-streamers)

(links to video's incase they dont show up as media in the post: Clip1, clip2, clip3, clip4 )

See the issue?.. Weapons on vehicles that are less than 50m away dont render.. the 'eye-candy' stuff dosnt render. Hell even enemy infantry and vehicles dont render at distances they should.

I'll constantly be shot at by people that are 100% invisible to me. Be it a hand-held weapon or from a vehicle. At ranges were i should see the actual vehicle, i wont see anything except for the 3d-spot durito, and thats only if their even spotted.

Same thing happens for buildings and other ground clutter. I'll see a enemy vehicle and fire at them.. and wonder why the explosion i saw didnt give a 'hit' detection. only to run forward 30ft for a better position, and see a box suddenly render between me and the tank... or in one instance, and entire building.

Does no one at SOE even care about the multi-monitor users anymore? Do they even have 1 single machine in their internal testing running the game in a multi-monitor mode?

Is this something that is ever going to be fully 'fixed' ?
  2. Rhapsody

and still no reply =T
  3. t31os

Maybe when multiple monitor gamers represent a significant portion of the players in the game it will be moved up the priority list. I know a fair number of people with two screens, but like me that tends to be for teamspeak or other similar apps.
  4. Kirppu1

Hmm, what is the resolution of your monitors and what is the reported resolution?
  5. Rhapsody

Native per monitor's individually is 1680x1050 i think?... Wide-screen with Nvidia Surround is 5250x1050.

Whats captured in the Twitch clips is my center screen, and a slight bit of the right screen (which is why the crosshair is slightly shifted to the left. Tried to 'fill up' as much of the twitch window as i could and OBS starts its 'capture window' from a fixed point in the top left and expands from there)
  6. Kirppu1

Hmm there is something wrong because the resolution your OS reports is wrong since the real value is 5040x1050... Try to create a custom resolution(just keep the timings and other stuff) then use that one. Keep in mind that you'll have to chose it manually in-game after doing this.
  7. Rhapsody

Its not off. Im just useing one of the 'bezzel corrected' resolution options (were instead of the screens being a 'hard break' at the edges with whatever is caught between the two edges bieng 'sliced' in half, the edges of the monitors act as a 'bar' that blocks a seemless image behind it.

I actually havnt thought about trying one of the non bezzel-corrected resolutions though as a test. Might do that tonight.
  8. Kirppu1

Oh ok, have you tried playing windowed no broders?
  9. Rhapsody

Did a couple of Tests.. both useing the standard 5054x1050 (the non bezel corrected resolution), and the 5250x1050 i play at (bezel corrected). In and out of windowed mode, borderless window.. in and out of both resolutions... always get the rendering distance being 1/2 what it should be.

Uncheck the "Wideview Mode" checkbox the Dev's gave us a few patches back.. and the Rendering issue is gone.... i think... But.. im back to being stuck in the constant 3.5x Zoom state... and since everything is stuck in that 3.5x zoom state... i cant exactly tell if the rendering distance issue is gone or not.. as palying with the 'wideview mode' checkbox checked, I have the rendering distance issue, unless i use a zoom of some sort.

So yea.... its simply that anyone wishing to play in multi-monitor mode has two choices right now... Play the game while stuck in a 3.5x zoom state.... or play like it 'should' look... but with a rendering distance 1/2 that of everyone else =T

At least untill they finally get around to fixing it =(