Spawn Timers should Increase as you die more

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darkwulf, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Darkwulf

Every time you die within a certain amount of time it should add 1 or 2 seconds on your spawn timer. Capping at 30 seconds.

The 30 second timer would work its way back down the longer you stay alive.

This would add a unique aspect to stalemate fights. It would also make death have a little more feeling to it.
    • Up x 6
  2. UberBonisseur

Just like PS1 !

Madness !
    • Up x 7
  3. cruczi

I like the idea, but 30 seconds is too long. Cap it at 20 instead.
    • Up x 1
  4. PurpleBeefer

MADNESS :eek: moar PS1 things
    • Up x 1
  5. MasterCheef

no
    • Up x 6
  6. SeanFree

Yes, let's give people less incentive to rush the point. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 11
  7. void666

Guess i'll just stay inside of the spawn room then.
    • Up x 8
  8. ajma

The bad outweights the good, I think. People will be even more afraid to die, so more reason to camp or stay in the spawn room.
    • Up x 5
  9. Champagon

Back in PS1 i caught a spawn timer of 5 minutes once, for TK'ing and getting owned.

Good Times
    • Up x 1
  10. 24NoSwagWithScope7

sounds like alot of.....fun(?) do you know this word?
  11. MajiinBuu

Even as a casual player, 30 seconds of staring at the map when all you want to do is avenge your own death is a little much
    • Up x 2
  12. Darkwulf

Sometimes I cannot quote posts on the forums for some reason.

Lots of crying going on here. Void666 the spawn room is a good place for you. You should stay in there while your team gets steam rolled.

I also don't think you should get xp while inside the spawn room.
    • Up x 1
  13. JesusVoxel

Or give them incentive to group up and rush together instead of going one by one to meatgrinder. And who knows, maybe longer spawn time to said base would get people to move to next base and defend it or form counterattack instead of feeding the stupid spawncamping behaviour.

Remove all kills, xp and even notifications of killed enemies while shooting from inside and near spawn (same for attackers shooting people near spawn). Since the blings and clicks of getting xp and certs and kill notifications is the days norms of motivating kids to play games, maybe removing them would get people to either grow balls or move on to other bases.
    • Up x 2
  14. JesusVoxel

This game needs more reasons to play smart and work as a team, move cover to cover and use covering fire etc. Increasing the spawn timer for stupid bumrushes would slow down the game and open up much more tactical squad based game that is buried somewhere deep in PS2 core.

But slower more tactical gameplay would probably be to much real skill to handle for all the MLG-statwhores infecting this game.
    • Up x 2
  15. hostilechild

Then they also need to put a limit on the amount of time you can stay inside a spawn room. Even if its like 5minutes (2min my preference), but some limit. If you need to go afk in safety due it on the death screen.

I am all for the increase the more you die (only if doesn't effect revive) But all the ADD kids out there won't like it.
    Maybe if you made it spawn point specific, you change spawn points timer resets. I am sure they would still complain, someday they will need to learn patience, or they will never keep a job.
  16. SeanFree

See, that sounds like a great idea on paper but it doesn't account for the fact the people playing said game. People care way too much about their K/D, SPM etc. and would encourage them to play even more cautiously than they already do. There's already next to no penalty from dying (A short respawn and a lower K/D) but you add in a long respawn timer and people will be afraid to push at all.
    • Up x 2
  17. Alarox

It shouldn't be based on how often you die. It should be based on how often you respawn.

There's a significant difference.
    • Up x 1
  18. z1967

I don't see how this will solve stalemates. You solve stalemates by giving the ability to either weaken an opponent's defensive power (so you can break through) or strengthen your own offensive power (make breaking through much easier). Making it take longer to respawn after each death is a fairly bad idea as it only punishes those who attempt to weaken their opponent's defensive (suicide rushes) and fails to punish those who are causing stalemates (combat class to support class ratio imbalance and farming mainly). It also makes the learning curve steeper for new players as they are punished whilst trying to learn.

Overall, I don't see how this fixes anything and it would be detrimental to the overall health of the game's population (less new players stay compared to older players leaving).
    • Up x 2
  19. HadesR

I'd rather it was based on population imbalances .. The greater % you over pop the opponent in a Hex the longer your respawn time is .
    • Up x 5
  20. Zakuak

Adding time to it will not make them want to die less.

It's an artificial bad idea band aid. No player enjoys getting killed...the fact there is a timer now is silly....What is it these timers are trying to throttle, are they trying to slow down the amount of killing that's taking place? last I checked that was the basis of the game, to shoot at other players, so why try and slow that down at all? You some how think that a longer spawn timer will make pixel life more precious?