Stop allowing mines to be laid right on enemy vehicle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SiegeTank, Jul 22, 2014.

1. shameful

ok then let me tell you something you'll probably like then, 2 tank mines and a grenade cost the same as a sunderer with the upcoming resource change, so I don't see a reason to complain.
    • Up x 1
  2. shameful

either way I don't see the issue here, I have my sunderer taken out 90% of the time due to inattentive team mates 10% overwhelming tank zergs, so I adapted and kept a close eye on my sundy. Guess what the result was? I lost less sundy's
    • Up x 1
  3. Arsonix

Way to ignore the entire cert argument. By the way the grenade is completely unnecessary In this scenario.
  4. shameful

not what's in discussion here, the fact that he wants a direct counter removed is
    • Up x 1
  5. shameful

have a mine guarded sunderer pull c4, have a blockaded sundy then pull tank mines, thats how i view it. still takes the engy staying alive long enough to set off the mine.
    • Up x 1
  6. Arsonix

Where are you getting from the OP that resource cost is the only issue in question here? I'm sure if they cost as much as 1350(blockade armor) + 50(AMS) + whatever else in certs the issue wouldn't be so pronounced and this thread probably wouldn't exist.

Also use the edit button if you are going to make multiple posts in the same 5 minutes.
  7. ata98

I believe they must do a small thing which is the sundy shouldn't die to 2 tank mines or atleast it must set it on fire like 2 c4s

or maybe add some resistance to sundy when equipping blockade armor
  8. shameful

alright let me throw this out there then, if hes that worried over tank mines why not make c4 timer based instead so that it cannot be detonated by the light assault, as well as making it disarmable as to thwart the would be bomber. yes it's annoying losing your point farm but it is necessary to break a forward momentum
    • Up x 1
  9. Arsonix

Please don't try to strawman. The entire issue here is that tank mines are intended to detonate when in close proximity to a moving vehicle. C4 has no such function. C4 isn't what we are discussing a change for here, that is for another thread if you want to go ahead and do that. The theoretically needed change lies either in the vehicles or in the Tank Mines.
  10. ColonelChingles

IRL a tank with broken treads is just a really pissed off impenetrable bunker that has a built-in 120/125mm cannon.

Only reason why immobility would kill you in PS2 is because infantry are armed with a whole slew of ridiculously overpowered AT weapons that no MBT crew today would have to deal with. ;)

Like I said, I'm good with it for game balance purposes, but infantry in PS2 have no idea how ungodly powerful they've become and how paper-tiger tanks in PS2 are. And yet they still have the gall to accuse tanks of being OP. :p
  11. ata98

1 - drop mines under the sundy
    2- drop a sticky grenade
    3- run away
    4- bye bye sundy.
  12. ColonelChingles

This happens in real life too. Right up there with failures to fire and all sorts of fun goodies.

PS2 might actually be a bit more interesting if it had those FUBAR moments... where you had to dive back behind cover because your gun jammed or something.
  13. shameful

still why is this such an issue there should be a way to take out the spawn point quickly and efficiently, it may not be elegant but I'd rather there be a risk to the point farm that is sundy, blockade armor and more than one engie can keep a sundy alive through everything but a massive bombardment, the tank mine is just a decent counter even if you think it's cheap to set them off with your gun.
  14. Sorrowfulwinds

I'm not seeing a problem here. "Wahh I suck at Sundy babysitting let's ban explosives".
    It's not that hard to round up some guys to defend your sundy, park in an area that let's you defend easily.
    If your driving down the road then just run the guy over or if your siting there just drive away and only detonate one mine or if you do it fast enough it won't even detonate.

This is a serious case of L2P. Not a game problem.
  15. shameful

this guy gets it
  16. Arsonix

Logically speaking damaging your own weapon is going to lower it's effectiveness therefore you should always be incentivized into not damaging your weapons unless absolutely necessary. This can be done by simply lowering the damage of mines detonated by essentially trying to break them.

My issue does not lie with players who are ingenious enough to come up with ways to work around patches intended to stop their behavior. In fact I would praise those people. That is an intelligent decision to make when the mechanics are still there to encourage you.

My issue is how easy this strategy has become given the rules of the game. Me and many others who play this game are of the belief that the tank mine rush strategy is too inexpensive. There are no actual counters to it once the mines are on the ground and this means if you don't have the level 6 Nano-Repair Tool ready at hand and already trained on the mines in question by the time they render then you and anything near them are virtually screwed, unless by some type of divine intervention causes nothing bad to happen to you or your sunderer before the mines delete themselves.

100 certs/150inf resources is ridiculous. Immagine if 1 class with access to all vehicles had the ability to wear a suicide vest that takes 2 seconds to detonate that obliterates everything but vehicles with a very specific upgrade. Then if you failed to detonate yourself before the 2 seconds were up you then become an explosive corpse that can only be removed by buying something for the price of 10-15 hours of hardcore gameplay. Now imagine if everyone with 2-3 hours gameplay had access to that. That is basically what you get with the current Tank Mines.

I don't think it is too much to ask the needed amount of mines detonated by breaking them needed to destroy sunderer be increased to just 3. 66% of normal damage when broken with damage is all that is needed in my opinion. Atleast at a 300 cert cost for the player and 225 infantry resource investment instant sundy destruction wont be such an entry-level of an ability and hordes of suicide bombers will either have to invest a reasonable amount or work within a team.
  17. shameful

there is a counter though sir, you could run mine guard, pick your poison c4 or tank mines, at least you cant float and tank mine
  18. Arsonix

And there lies the problem. With blockade on you can stand a chance against multiple enemies armed with C4 and rockets/tanks but with mineguard on you are much more vulnerable to all of that.

Fully certed you can withstand that 1 solo guy as long as he isn't a heavy assault with 2 C4 (and lets face it C4 is the only piece of equipment heavies carry anymore since the regeneration implant was introduced), a MAX with a reasonable AV loadout, or an engineer with C4 and a utility pouch but that is all.

In an actual battle the mineguard is a pretty dumb purchase unless your idea of helping your team is by saving your certs and putting it into lowering the acquisition timer so you can spam sundies instead of getting a real upgrade.
  19. shameful

there is a counter to it so there is no reason you should complain for the counter
  20. ColonelChingles

From a gameplay perspective this is a good idea because it rewards those who can "make it out" by staying alive instead of suiciding. After all staying alive and waiting for the tank to move requires more skill, and that skill should be rewarded while those who just wantonly chuck AT mines at a vehicle should be penalized.

The "logical" explanation is that most explosives (bombs, mines, etc) actually contain two explosives: the primer and the charge. The primer is a little mini explosive that gets detonated first; it is this precise detonation that allows for the even detonation of the main charge. If the primer fails or the explosive is detonated in some other way, it will not have the full impact and do less damage.

C4 can't really be detonated in any other way than by an electronic fuse. Shooting it won't work. Setting it on fire won't work. That's why it's so wonderful to work with... it doesn't blow up until you want it to blow up (assuming you're still alive when you want it to blow up). Mythbusters played with C4 in all sorts of ways here, and they couldn't even get it to go boom while it was on fire using an incendiary round.

And for the record I totally have benefited from these AT mine shenanigans. Just a week ago on the 15th I managed to score 8 kills at the same time by blowing up a Sunderer with AT mines. Just rammed it with my flaming Lightning and chucked out three AT mines followed by a frag grenade. They killed me at 8:58:09, and I racked up 8 kills plus the Sunderer at 8:58:10. And there was nothing they could do about it. In my book, it was a terribly cheap kill, and had that Sunderer been fully healthy I don't think it should have killed it.

So yea, if shot explosives did half the damage that they did if they were not shot, I think that would be fair.
    • Up x 3