What's your ratio of BR killed by to BR killed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by cruczi, Jul 20, 2014.

1. cruczi

Do this:
    1. go to www.planetside2.com/players
    2. find the page of a character you've been playing recently
    3. go to Killboard, then Deaths tab
    4. select the entire 100 rows of recent history, and CTRL+C
    5. open a new Excel or Calc file (or Google Spreadsheet) and CTRL+V
    6. repeat steps 4 and 5 for the Kills tab
    7. for both sets of data, calculate the average (arithmetic mean) of the Battle Rank column (should be column D)
    8. divide the average BR of your killers by the average BR of your kills
    Let's call this number the DKRR or Death Kill Rank Ratio. This gives you an idea of how experienced are the players that you die to compared to the players that die to you.

The higher the number, the better. A result of 1 means your killers tend to be the same BR as the ones you kill, while a result of 1.5 means it tends to take a 50% higher BR to kill you than you'd expect based on whom you kill.

For my TR guy - DKRR = 1.21. (Opponents that kill me tend to have 21% higher BR than opponents whom I kill.)
    For my VS alt - DKRR = 1.34.
    For my NC alt - DKRR = 1.28.

As you can see it's all in the same ballpark, so we can assume the result to be fairly accurate. Nevertheless, a set larger than 100 would be helpful but unless anyone has some brilliant idea, this is all we have to work with. Also, I realize that low BR doesn't automatically mean the player has low experience, but it's nevertheless an interesting comparison, and arguably a much more accurate representation of actual player skill than simple KDR.

What's your DKRR?
  2. Paragon Exile

I wayyyyyyy too lazy to do all of that :(
    • Up x 4
  3. cruczi

Come on! It takes 2 minutes. You can use Google Spreadsheet as well.
  4. Cougarbrit

For my TR main, my DKRR is 1.10, from an avg Killer BR of 83 and an avg Kill BR of 75.

For my VS alt, my DKRR is 1.31, from an avg Killer BR of 69.8 and an avg Kill BR of 53. (Dat PPA farm)

For my NC alt, my deathboard didn't list a full 100, but from what was there I get a DKRR of 1.29, from an avg Killer BR of 64 and an avg Kill BR of 49. (Dat AH farm)
  5. DJPenguin

I feel like i kill more higher ranked BRs and get killed by lower BRs the most but i wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. After 2 years of playing this game It's only natural to mold my plans and tactics around opponents who have likewise been playing a while and are apart of large outfits making them that much more easier to read and how to exploit their tunnel visioning. But that is where the newer player is strongest. His unpredictability can catch even the most experienced players off guard. In the middle of heated fights there is no time to assess the quality of the enemy I'm about to engage and thus i use my standard methods. Flanking ultimately ends up being the most logical choice against someone who probably doesn't know the map yet. But tactics like baiting and others that rely on the opponent to be in a certain location or facing a certain direction don't always work as the guy is just that clueless of the game and it ends up helping him as he's in the spot that i least expected him to be.

An unnecessary paragraph but i just find the topic interesting.
  6. JacDoom

On my NC Main = 1.37 (ish), which is weirdly almost exactly the same as my KDR (that's with revives). Average Kill BR of 53.72 and an average Killer BR of 73.52 (I die to BR100s a lot, a quarter of the players in my Deaths tab are BR100.)
  7. Iridar51

69 / 85 = 0.81 for me. Looks like I'm a newb farmer :(

Wanted to calculate average KD of killer / victim as well, but Excel kept converting KDR into date, so after banging my head against the wall for half an hour I gave up. Nothing makes me want to beat people as hard as Microsoft Office.
    • Up x 1
  8. Inex

I would have thought you wanted a weighted average to account for getting killed by a BR100 dozens of times.

If you're copy/pasting, try pre-formatting the blank cells as "Text" first. That should stop Excel from monkeying with it.
  9. Iridar51

Oh, so that's what I was supposed to do...

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  10. Inex

If it makes you feel any better...
    I've been banging my head against Excel's quirks for 15 years.
  11. GhostAvatar

Strangely, mine is 1.43, which is 0.01 off from my KDR also. Seems like a pattern is forming, its almost as if killing noobs increases you KDR! :eek:
  12. NC_agent00kevin

Pointless stat; a BR 1 would benefit while a BR 100 would suffer.

Fun, maybe - but pointless. Unless your BR is right in line with the average player BR.
    • Up x 1
  13. Alizona

I'm killed by average BR60 and I kill average BR39.

KDRR=1.55

my K/D is a measly 0.48 or something because I <expletive deleted> at shooting games. I have 2700 repair ribbons and I spend all my time repairing turrets and supporting max'es and armor. I wear no nano-armor because I go for the utility pouch so I can carry 4 C4's. I love my C4, I am the king of all Sundy killers! (not really, but I love it). It makes perfect sense that my average kills are very much lower than my own rank. I can only kill noobs and people who run around essentially unprotected, like myself.

I'm BR83 and I will absolutely get to BR100. When I get there, I fully expect to have the lowest K/D out of any BR100. I don't see how anyone's could be lower than mine. I play suicidal because there's no real downside to dying. If you ain't dying a lot, you're probably one of those players who sits in a tank or up in a Liberator - cowards, I calls em. :)
  14. Inex

Considering your own BR isn't used anywhere in the calculation, I'm not sure how that applies.
  15. Mustarde

Am I missing something? The only place that you get battle rank in the killboard website is from the columns that tell you who you have killed the MOST, and who has killed you the MOST.

This strongly biases your "death" board towards BR 100's. It is not a gauge of recent activity or a random sampling of several sessions of play. It only samples who you have killed repeatedly, and who has killed you repeatedly.

Furthermore, this "ratio" is lacking weight - I have been killed by QuantonBiscuit, a BR98, 24 times. There is no factoring that into the ratio as I see the calculation right now. Next down is LeeHarvy, a BR100 at 15.

I don't you are calculating what you think you are calculating.
    • Up x 2
  16. Alizona

He's saying a BR1 will never kill anyone lower than them, while a BR100 will never kill anyone higher than them. So this stat will make a BR1 look great while it will make BR100 look not so great.
  17. Morchai

I guess these numbers might be evidence that the game is actually pretty fair, all in all. Since there should be more low BR targets than high to shoot at, and the high shooting at you are on average a lot more skilled, I would have expected a higher ratio. It doesn't look like the low BR players are doing that badly, though.
  18. Inex

The ratio isn't your BR vs your killer/victim... it's the killer vs the victim. Your BR is irrelevant.
    Barring low BR alts, it is ever so slightly better than straight KDR. But you're right, the data isn't complete enough and I'm pretty sure it isn't being interpreted correctly.
    I'm not sure that's a good thing. If I'm only capable of farming BR1s, I'm going to end up with a very high ratio. It feels like you're going for an ELO ranking here, but you're missing the predictive element I think.
  19. cruczi

Hmm, completely missed that. The stats page isn't very informative as to what stats it's showing... in the Timeline tab you clearly have the most recent activity, but not in the Kills and Deaths tabs. Ah well, I guess we can close this thread now :eek:
  20. Bankrotas

once upon a time, I recall somebody having a script to calculate this. Maybye again...