Planetside 2 Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Helanger, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Helanger

I didn't know exactly where to put this thread, So I suppose this would probably be the best area to write it on.

I'm curious if I would be able to use my Oculus Rift with Planetside 2. The reason why I decided to post first before actually doing it is because I love this game way too much to risk myself getting banned.

Even if Planetside 2 is not directly compatible with the Oculus Rift, there are still software like Tridef or VorpX, but I'm not 100% sure if those software modify the files on the game, So I want to make sure if I am able to use before actually going for a full dive.

I've seen some videos of people using it and they didn't seem to have any issues, however, the videos are fairly old and lots have changed, So I don't know what was allowed before that isn't now.

I really hope I am able to use it on this game, It would be a really interesting and immersive experience for myself, I already enjoy the game the way as it is, but I'd love to try the game with the Oculus.

Thank You in advanced
    Regards

Helanger
  2. DJStacy

I would be interested in finding out this info as well ......... looked into Oculus a while ago when they realeased the dev pack for it, but decided to wait for the higher resolution market model instead of purchasing it twice.
  3. BorkaBonum

That would be a nice feature and there would probably be quite some resources for Sony to consult for a swift introduction, with many developers and common coding enthusiasts who would essentially work ideally just for more cool Oculus support.

But I can't see Sony doing this. They are too backwards and don't seem to be able to make any sensible decision for Planetside 2 lately, let alone keeping the game playable at the least.
  4. jonman

I've tried it using Tridef and just tailored the settings a little this was a few months ago. It mostly seemed to be fairly good but the major drawback was the lower resolution makes medium & long range combat not possible.

I’ve got a DK2 coming shortly so will try again and see how this goes.
  5. Paulus

The "mouse look" function is only used separate to mouse aiming during vehicle combat, so I don't see any reason for using Rift until the resolution is comparable to a simple 22" HD screen. Aiming the gun with your head (and compensating for recoil) would be a bit weird to say the least.
  6. user101

The good news is about 90% of PS2 is good 3D already the bad news is some of the older gun models are not. We have had a couple people in the past run PS2 in 3D and it sort of works and looks great but you can't aim some of the guns. After wearing audio headset with PS2 - no way am I going to wear a 3D face headset for hours...! I am down to a disk mic and earbuds for the audio for PS2.
  7. drstrange2014

Some people are already using Oculus Rift with PS2, though there are issues, as the previous poster mentioned. SOE are supposed to be working on OR support but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
  8. Helanger

Are you still using Tridef? And If you are did you happen to have any issues regarding security or game files? I am thinking of using it, but I don't want to risk a ban.
  9. jonman

I only got Tridef on a 30 day free trial and for about 2-3 hours max in PS2. I was also scared I may have been banned for using it but I couldn’t resist trying to see what it was like actually being in the war.

I found aiming was difficult as the separation of both images doesn’t align perfectly and also some of the gun models animations were broken as mentioned by other people here. It’s great to try but you will not be able to play as effectively as you just feel short sighted due to the low resolution.
  10. Helanger

Thank you for the reply, I think I'll avoid playing it on my Oculus if it's currently in a bad state.