In-Game video recording option, playing back as sound only?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rhapsody, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Rhapsody

Anyone have any idea what is up with my client?.. When i try to use the in-game video recording, i am getting .avi files saved, but i am also getting a XML document with the same name as the AVI saved along with it.

When i try to launch one of the AVI's, all i see is the media (windows media player) playing the 'sound'. There's no video captured at all.

Any ideas? Is there some setting i need to change or what?
    • Up x 1
  2. MacG32

3. Zeradatul

Yeah, I am having this same issue....any fix?
    • Up x 1
  4. ollister

omg, my game crashed, and ever since msi afterburn stopped working and then i realized the ingame vdeo capture broke as well

my videos record only sound! that the heck? i was already using Klite codec pack and ingame record was working fine. not any more
  5. ollister

i uninstalled Klite codec pack

installed the latest 1045 mega klite codec pack

now i get no video capture at all where as before i only got sound, nothing now. :(
  6. LibertyRevolution

The in game video recorder does not work on the new 64bit client.
    It has nothing to do with your playback codecs.

I told them this on April 2nd, the first time they released the 64bit client.. but no fix..
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...apture-not-working-after-64bit-update.181011/

Then others realized it.. but still no fix..
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/can-not-capture-video-in-64-client.185354/
    • Up x 2
  7. ollister

hey, i really appreciate the information. i was pulling my hair trying to get it to work and i suppose it comes as some consolation to know it has nothing to do with my system.

i really hope SOE does not continue on this path of sloppy work and rushing patches leaving us to figure out where they messed up.
  8. Cifer7

I really can't believe this is why it isn't working, I just started playing again and ran into this issue and have spent a day working on it, I check the forums and it's SOE's fault... I only wanted to play to record video.... so neverfuginmind
  9. Spyrius

"Captured" a dozen of "videos" today only to realize SOE fxxxed it up again when i tried to play them... sound only with black screen - thanks SOE! :/

This thread can save someone`s precious (life)time from trying to get proper videos with an inproper SOE`s "feature" - and as such needs a little bumb.
    TY very much LibertyRevolution for the info!
    • Up x 1
  10. Aidyn006

I can't see, to get OBS to work....all I get is that dreaded black screen.....any ideas? (and yes i'm using game capture mode)
    • Up x 1
  11. Alizona

So this is the only thread I can find on this issue?

I tried to record my gameplay using the in-game video capture today for the first time, and when I play it back I always get a black screen with the game sounds but I can't see anything.

I've tried fullscreen, fullscreen windowed, and windowed modes, all three with the same exact result.

I have a 64 bit machine but I don't know how to check if I installed a 64 bit PS2 client or not. I assume if it was available I would have, and I assume from these previous reports here that I must have.

Anyone have any help or advice please? Thanks.
  12. Alizona

I only got the XML file when I was in... hmmm, I forget, I think it was "Windowed" mode. When I chose Fullscreen and the other one, I only got the .avi file itself.

This is all that is in the XML file. Why would an .avi need an XML along with it?

13. LibertyRevolution

If you have a 64bit OS, then you are running the 64bit client.
    The launcher thing has both 32bit and 64bit exe files and runs which ever depending on your OS.

There is a thread somewhere about how to trick it into using the 32bit client, but I can't find it right now.
  14. Ferocian

I really hope they fix this. I had a great session earlier where I recorded the footage and it's just a black screen now.
  15. Smagjus

Reformatting is the way to go now. Randomly installing codec packs is the absolute worst you can do when you try to do anything with videos. So yeah, reformat and then move on.

As LibertyRevolution said the x64 client is responsible for this issue. As workaround:
    1. Start the launcher.
    2. Enter your Planetside folder.
    3. Delete/Rename the Planetside2.exe
    4. Rename the Planetside2_x86.exe to Planetside2.exe
    5. Click launch game in the launcher and have fun
    Be advised that you will likely run into further problems because of the codec packs.
  16. TRick Shot

Apologies of this is not the same issue but, just in case it helps someone...

A while back (32bit times) I had issues with the built-in game recorder that sound like what you are having. Any file size over 1GB (very easy to do on highest settings) would only play sound with black screen in the mighty VLC player. Bizarrely the only way I could get the video too was to play it with Windows Media Player! o_O

It's almost always the other way around, to the extent that I suspect most people have given up with Windows, and use VLC as "it just works." Have you tried Windows Media Player? I never figured out if a quick re-encoding would sort things out, as I went back to MSI After burner. Shame that doesn't work on 64bit games yet.
  17. ironeddie

I get this sometimes. Stop recording alt tab out of game. Then tab back in and try recording again usually works.

Also check it's got the right feed when you tab out. A few times obs seems to have gotten confused and automatically selected steam instead of the game feed.
  18. Smagjus

VLC's codec support always lacked some important codecs which is nothing to wonder about. Only recent upgrades did add some codecs VLC were missing for half a decade but those updates made the client rather unstable.
  19. JudgeDreddy

This thread is more than a year old and I'm still having the same issue. Just started playing again[truly improved and very enjoyable game now], recorded a couple awesome sessions and..... black screen just audio. Come on now...