Give Lancer Zoom Options

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Codex561, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Codex561

Since lancer is intended to snipe vehicles from faaaaar away, would it not make sense to give it 2x, 3.4x, 4x and even 6x scopes? Or at least just give a x2 scope which is so damn versatile. But if SOE decides to be fancy with they could allow it zoom in/out (using mousewheel?).
  2. Frosty The Pyro

honestly the lancers targets (vehicles) are large enough that zoom value on the lancers current scope is plenty, the only thing higher zoom would actually help with is distant flashes and maxs. And it might help you see which way you are off from when firing at air targets, but probably not.

Mind you I think there should be scope options for all rocket launchers (and pistols) just on principle, though to be perfectly frank the only ones that would truely benifit are the dumbfires (because their "sights" mean that once you adjust for drop you cant even see the target you are shooting at).
    • Up x 4
  3. Ziogatto89

Well VS is sold for "versatility" so this would make sense hence why it isn't in the game.
    • Up x 3
  4. Frostiken

I have no problem nailing tanks out to 400 meters. I hit tanks I can't even see just by their spotted icons.

What the Lancer needs is people to start using it and realize just how ******* powerful it is in groups. I usually am like the only guy in a fight using it, everyone else is playing Scorched Earth and lobbing S1s like a bunch of morons. It even makes effective anti-air if you're good at leading targets.
  5. ronjahn

This is exactly why I barely ever use my Phoenix. It just isn't very useful when used solo. I only really use it during outfit ops or if I see another one or two people using it in tandem against a target.

I wouldn't be opposed to OP suggestion, but how about some love for my Phoenix at the same time? That thing could use some love in the maneuverability and speed departments.

In fact why not take a pass on all 3 ESRL. All of them are suffering from a variety of problems at the moment.
  6. EliteEskimo

Nerf the range down to 300 meters like the Phoenix or any other ground based lock on and you can have a 12 X scope for all I care. The current Lancer is broken and gives the Vanu a massive advantage which is the ability to mass kill armor with non rendering HA's. Honestly it's one small step below as broken as the AV turret is which makes it still broken. I personally get tired of shooting at VS tanks just to have my health quickly plinked away from some VS on a rock/hill 500-600 meters away.
    • Up x 2
  7. Frostiken

I agree that the Lancer is broken with regards to its insane range, but the Striker (besides being a useless weapon) would need to be nerfed too, as I believe it has 400m lock range, 500m flight range. The Lancer is, range aside, a highly inferior weapon.

That said I don't think making them all the exact same distance is the solution. The Lancer has absolutely garbage damage output and one of the lowest TTKs of all the ESRLs. Two full-charged shots take like nine seconds, plus a reload, and for all that you get damage barely equal to what one Decimator would do.

If the Lancer is going to get a range nerf (which it probably could use), it needs a tremendous damage buff, because right now the range is the only thing it has going for it. That, or it needs to be able to charge up six shots for a significant damage boost. Keep in mind that the Lancer is the least-used ESRL by far. The Striker is used almost twice as often, and the Phoenix almost three times as often.

If you removed its range, then the Phoenix would probably end up being the better choice, as it has superior accuracy, higher damage, and is much more user-friendly and fun to use. The Phoenix is balanced by its laughably **** range, and if you make all ESRLs equally range-limited, then the Phoenix is no longer limited by its range.

Here's what they should do:

1) Phoenix camera guidance disconnects at 300m, rocket goes 'dumb' beyond this range.

2) Lancer max damage begins to falloff at 300m. Give Lancer a zoom and increased damage. Allow it to charge up six shots for a higher damage boost.

3) Striker should get a function similar to the Tracer Dart from BFBC2 or the SOFLAM from BF3, allowing multiple strikers to share a lock even if they don't have LOS. Also, change the missile's trajectory of ALL lock-ons so that they can be lofted before attaining lock, instead of just smashing into the ground. half the time.
  8. EliteEskimo

1. The Striker has a ground lock on range of 300 meters and I believe all weapons which have the capability to lock on to ground targets have a 300 meter cap. Air lock on range is normally higher for lock on weapons but I'm referring to armor.

2. The Lancer has several things going for it besides range. It's the best peeka boo launcher there is, you only have to see a single pixel of the vehicle to hit it, it gives the vehicle user no warning of when the damage is coming (this is huge), can be spammed at close range, and extremely fast velocity so that if you can aim you should land almost all your shots on ground vehicles.

3. The Phoenix rocket, like other NC projectiles, explodes or just doesn't do damage once it reaches its limit, they don't just go dumbfire. I know because I've sat at this limit with a smile on my face as non rendering infantry tried to shoot my tank but I was just far enough away the rockets blew up right infront of me. :D

If the Lancer got a range nerf to 300 meters like most HA weapons then yes it would deserving of a buff either via reload or damage, but just keep in mind range is not the sole thing the Lancer has going for it.
    • Up x 3
  9. Frostiken

BTW the Lancer spam at close range is about as dangerous as explosive crossbow bolts.

Three uncharged shots are less damaging than a single full-charge three-shot, and two full-charge three-shots are less damaging than any other AV weapon in the game. Yes, I can annoy people really far away, but it doesn't matter when it takes me ten seconds to chip through the paint. By your logic, since shotguns are strong up close, sniper rifles should do almost no damage.

Also, calling it the 'best peekaboo launcher' when the Phoenix lets you shoot from inside an impenetrable bunker...

The stats don't lie: the Lancer is the least-used AV weapon in the game, probably for a reason. Yes, people are buying and using the worthless NS type-specific rocket launchers more than the Lancer.
    • Up x 2
  10. EGuardian1

No.

The Lancer is basically a Railgun. Giving it a scope would only make the spam even worse, since with a pair of Bursters nearby, it's impossible to get close since they're just whip out LMGs to deal with infantry, and the Lancer kills Air, Ground and probably even the unseen space vehicles in the game.

The downfall of the lancer is it can't be used effectively solo, and in CQC it's not the ideal choice, but it can lock down an area with a 600 meter "NOPE" bubble.

This is what I think of Lancer Squads and what I always try to do to them,

11. Frostiken

Because NC Reaver pilots are so much better.
  12. Udnknome

You can see vehicles from massive distances... the only reason I can see giving the lancer a scope is so you can hit infantry with it from further away..

Take a lesson from the phoenix/ AV Turret... if it's a AV weapon that works just as good as an AI weapon, it will get nerfed.

Why set yourself up for that?
  13. Pikachu

Let's do it.
    [IMG]
  14. EliteEskimo

Hold it one second there, first you gotta limit the range to max infantry render distance or it will be totally OP.:rolleyes:
    [IMG]
  15. Udnknome

Not really, they just have to make it only capable of firing when locked on to a vehicle.

I don't think the VS actually want this.
  16. maudibe

Why would you need a scope on a Phoenix when you can launch one in the direction of the tracer and "see" and guide the missle when it gets close to the target?
  17. veselie

If you want some zoom , lower the field of view to 40 . It will be just like an 1.5x zoom .
  18. LIKE A BOSS!

Everything VS have is OP please nerf. What's next magrider AP cannon OP?
  19. EliteEskimo

Flash Light Beamer Combo is pretty OP atm.
    • Up x 2
  20. LIKE A BOSS!

The game should have a custom sound for whenever a player gets killed by a Beamer.