VS Spiker. What happened?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by KillSwitchWes, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Vikarius

and make it higher damage.
    125 damage is a joke...

its like all of our weapons... they think noone is gonna notice we are firing nerf darts at brick walls 90% of the time..
  2. Quiiliitiila

Fires on release, not on click. It's a bit strange, but you get "used" to it I guess.

Still hate the whole charge up to 4x burst… Of all the cool ideas…
  3. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Well, if the charge could be held a second longer, that would actually work on the phaseshift, after all, people did deliberately set it up that way in f.Ex. tribes as releasing the trigger seems to be faster than pressing it.
    Still, on a pistol it works like a built in latency issue.

I can't shake the feeling the charge was meant to be six projectiles, what with the 18 round magazine.
  4. sindz

Its a recurring thing almost to the point that VS are just a flimsy joke.

VS will never have a good pistol.
  5. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Hey, atm, it is a 'good pistol'. It's just a boring copy&paste with a charge up that actually makes it worse. The base pistol is good.
    Too good.
  6. Ztiller

Ok guys, calm down. Literally ALL our Chargeup wreapons have a lower DPS when charged. It's all about Alpha damage.

If you're in a direct firefight, then chargeup is useless. But if you intent to surprise and get the jump on an enemy, then firing off 4 rounds instantly for 500 damage + knife = kill is perfect.

Just like the Lancer, this gun is best used as first a chargeup and then semi-auto fire.
    • Up x 1
  7. ISKNausicaa

The issue is that both our other charge weapons (phaseshift and lancer) are used at range where you can get away with standing there charging, you position yourself in a relatively safe space to use them, generally a place where you have cover and know where the enemy is/coming from.

The pistol on the other hand requires you to be much much nearer, due to the recoil on the charge shot, this is compounded by the fact the primary uncharged fire can rattle off two burst fire shots in near the same amount of time all the while you arent nearly as vulnerable, as an infil quickly uncloak 2x burst + knife and recloak is far more attractive than uncloak, wait, wait, chargefire +knife

Even trying to use it to alpha strike isnt without serious risk, while charging you are at risk of being ambushed yourself, infils cant charge while cloaked and the weapon even gives off a very telltale glow when charging that can be seen from the side, so you are effectively stood there like a lemon with a neon sign saying please shoot me.

it needs something, to empty half the clip rather than four bullets or allow infils to charge it cloaked.
  8. Mongychops

Except NW1 will prevent a charge up body shot and knife, and it is likely that charge up will make a sound that warns the enemy you are there, if you're going for a head shot then knife with the charge up (which doesn't OHK at any range due to lower head shot multiplier), then you can do the same thing without having to charge with one burst from the Spiker, the Cerberus, the Underboss, or the Commisioner anyway.

What are you thinking, with that comparison? The issue the VS have is that the VS pistol line-up has holes in it, and this pistol doesn't fill them, the fact that the reason it is under-specced (the charge up mode) is useless is just the turd icing on the turd. Whereas none of the factions got a powerful ESSR (so no faction can complain it was singled out), and the existing "clone" line up did the job fine for everyone, so the only people upset are those who bought them without testing first.

The VS lack:
    • A pistol with decent velocity, which can then be suppressed without ending up as spit-balls when trying to track fast moving targets in CQC (TR 375-390 ms, NC 350-375 ms, VS 300-325 ms), presumably because no bullet drop is OP on pistols.
    • A pistol which is balanced around a long max damage range (eg Rebel or Emperor), to give a choice to have a longer effective range back up weapon.
    • A high damage output burst fire pistol, which gives a high DPS without having to spam click like crazy (eg Beamer) and which isn't screwed over significantly by nanoweave or the arbitrary cut off of max damage range (like the Cerberus is).
    I wouldn't mind if there was nothing special about this pistol, if it was just a solid burst pistol with a nice animation. Even just used as a 2x125 burst pistol, it will probably be a pretty much straight upgrade from the Cerberus, at least, I guess.
  9. Sixstring

The charge mode will just be too wonky,it should just use 1/2 to a full clip so that it's actually useful. And the charge mechanic needs to be a toggleable "always on" charge where if it's equipped and not being fired it's always charging so the first shot would always have high alpha damage.
  10. DeadliestMoon

So in other words, you want it to be a "discharge" instead of a charge up.
  11. Sixstring

Basically like this Perfect Dark Weapons - Mauler - YouTube(this videos better) when not being fired it's always charged and when it's not charged it still burst fires but the charge up needs to be worth using.
  12. DeadliestMoon

Yeah so like I said, discharge instead of charge up.
  13. ironeddie

Trouble with ns pistols is not being able to put a suppressor on them. Which for me at least playing stalker infiltrator is a must. So my only half decent secondary weapon that's quiet and doesn't pop me on radar when i fire is the cross bow. And that has it's limitations.

I was hoping the spiker would give me a secondary worth using. Something as good as the TR repeater which i adore using with my TR infil.
  14. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Well, thats exactly what you got.^^
  15. doombro

If you're really curious to know how it worked, all you have to do is download the game (1.5GB) and go to the VR room. It's free to play now, and kept alive by a few dedicated players here and there. Giving it a look is highly recommended.

In a nutshell though, it was basically like PS2's beamer, except it had 25 shots, and if you held instead of tapped the button it would essentially shoot a frag grenade. OP as hell, at least in VR.
  16. palto1826

hey i thought this may be relevant to you...skip to the 1 minute 35 second mark

as for the pistols im a little sad that this pistol update we were supposed to get something special that wasnt copy and paste from other factions (like a shotgun pistol or a fully auto pistol) but of all the sci-fi themed pistols ever imagined in video games or movies that could have worked for vs, we get a burst fire or charge burst fire pistol...yes vs has needed a burst fire pistol (maybe not even burst fire but something that can keep up damage wise with the other faction burst fire pistols) but this should have been addressed long ago with the pretty much useless cerberus (i tried to make this weapon work as a stalker infil but it was only good at taking out guys that were standing at vehicle terminals)
  17. DeadliestMoon

The charge up for the spiker needs to be half of what it is. Then you guys won't be crying about it as much.
  18. Quiiliitiila

I had been planning on giving PS1 a try for quite some time, it seems like it was truly a better game held back by an outdated engine/graphics.

Honestly from everything I've read, it seems like the devs should've kept the game the SAME and just updated everything else.
  19. Quiiliitiila

I would… It's so damn boring and uninspired… :oops:
  20. doombro

It was a fantastic game mechanically speaking, but it wasn't without its problems. A lot of trade-offs were made for it to be the way it is. PS2 essentially decided to not take those trade-offs, for better or for worse. Mostly for worse. They also seem to ignore PS1 very often. A lot of PS2's balance problems could have been avoided if they took stuff out of PS1's book.

Honestly, I think with a couple more years worth of good updates, PS2 could be better than PS1. It's just a matter of getting there. :)

Unfortunately, it will never be without its own problems. PS1 really felt like a scifi-MMOFPS through and through. PS2 just feels like a generic modern military shooter with some of the functions of Planetside.
    • Up x 2