I'm a little uncomfortable with attachments being able to be purchased with SC.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Plunutsud pls

MAX ammo that costs 500 certs can now be bought with cash???

That's a big step into p2w land.
  2. Zombekas

Complete bull. What's the big deal with the attachments? You could buy 1000 cert guns with SC for ages and no one made a fuss, and now that you can buy 500 cert attachments (Keep in mind that most of them are 100 or 30 certs!) it's suddenly P2W? It makes no sense.
    • Up x 7
  3. FateJH

As always, people forget that "pay to win" means that you need to pay else you can not acquire what someone else owns, and that said something else must be so dramatically better that you will never make up the difference in capability with just standard available equipment.
    • Up x 2
  4. LordTankT9

If this game was P2W, my Galaxy would annihilate all life like a death star - but it don't.
    • Up x 1
  5. Plunutsud pls

Letting people buy 100 cert infantry attachments for SC is not so bad.

Letting people buy 500 cert ammo for MAX for SC is totally p2w.
  6. Zombekas

Also keep in mind that not only are SC-only items only cosmetic variants, but they're sometimes even giving them out for free, like the recent NS-11P. I've never spent a single cent on the game, and have 2 player / vehicle camos, 1 weapon camo, 1 "preminum" weapon, a few boosts, a bunch of single-use camos, a ton of decals, and probably some more stuff that I forgot to mention.
    That, and that my main is BR78 and I've unlocked more or less everything necessary with only certs.

Disclaimer: I am NOT advocating this style of play! All SC purchases only help the future of PS2 and helps it not go truly P2W. I feel bad for playing so long and never buying SC, but I'm a scrudge and can't help it.
  7. Axehilt

So letting players purchase guns, which can be earned by Certs, isn't P2W.

...but letting players purchase attachments, which can be earned by Certs, is P2W.

Are people even bothering to think about their argument before making it anymore? Whatever happened to rational thought?
    • Up x 19
  8. Plunutsud pls

Just compare a dual Burster MAX with extended mags and without.

There's a big difference, you can solo a Lib without reloading.

This patch is tempting me to buy SC for a second Burster and a pair of ext mags.

Why grind 1000 certs for such game-changing attachments when you can just buy them?
    • Up x 2
  9. Stormsinger

A slippery slope, you say? Oh, look, there goes Smedley now!
    Also, the below activity should be implemented, while we're at it. I'd pay SC. :p

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. DrPapaPenguin

Like what?
  11. Mastachief

This.

People need to quit panicking. It's a harmless revenue stream.
    • Up x 2
  12. Zombekas

To save money? It's your choice, and the important bit is that you have a choice. As long as you have this choice and it's not too ridiculous (1000 certs is far from that), it's not P2W.
    • Up x 2
  13. FieldMarshall

lol
    • Up x 1
  14. Rolfski

Guns are considered side-grades while many attachments are considered straight upgrades.

The issue btw is not so much the effect on ingame play, which is not that big. The real issue is the effect on reputation of this game. The no 1 topic people judge f2p games on is being p2w. So every article in the media about this game generates a shhit storm in the comment section on the issue of p2w. Feeding that discussion negatively is not a smart thing to do for SOE.
    • Up x 1
  15. Goretzu

Well for MAXs extended mags makes a HUGE difference, and is definately not "negligible".

For the rest it is not such a big deal, and not the end of the world.

But equally this is definately a step further along the P2W road, there is no doubt about that.
    • Up x 2
  16. Chipay

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/...oh_do_not_sell_weapon_attachments_for/cimeu1k

This is of course about the recent change that allows players to buy weapon attachments for infantry and MAXes with StationCash, which grant players straight upgrades for their weapons.
  17. Plunutsud pls

Sure, now we can buy any MAX weapon + attachment for SC.

What will you say when they let us buy any certable upgrade for SC?

Will you still say it's not p2w?

Right now any BR1 can buy dual Bursters with ext mags and annihilate aircraft, it's easy.

I have a dual Burster MAX on another server (BR36) without ext mags. The only thing stopping me from soloing Libs was the high cert price of ext mags. Now that barrier is gone.
  18. Gregerman

Lol SOE takes advantage of your stupidness by letting you buy things that aren't that hard to get for free, Never bought any weapons for SC exept for the gold and black versions.
  19. Thagyr

People were claiming P2W when you could buy scopes with SC. So that now extends to MAXes, big whoop.

A MAX with extended mags will still die in one C4 block without flak armor. Or 2 direct rocket hits. Or a barrage of gunfire. Or the variety of other ways to take them out regardless if their weapon has 16 more rounds in it.

Whether paying for your upgrades or earning it isn't going to magically stop your targets from using their counters or tactics. Sure, you could hurt a liberator pretty badly with extended bursters, but chances are the ones you have to worry about will have ducked out of your LOS to repair like usual before you are even halfway through your new ammo count. Cause they have been dealing with said players for awhile now already. Many dedicated MAX players would have invested in extended mags months ago, and yet Liberators and ESFs are still flying about regardless.
    • Up x 1
  20. Goretzu

They both are. :confused:

The problem is reaching the tipping point when acceptable P2W becomes unacceptable P2W.

I don't think we're at that tipping point, but certainly with implants and buyable attachments (especially extended mags for MAXs) we have moved much further along that road recently.

EA didn't get to its:

idea in one step, it was a whole path of steps that got them there.