Hossin first Impressions : John Carpenter would be proud of The Fog :/

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Niller

I don't get the "I can only play the farm fest at the crown" mentality... 3 houses and a rock is not good base design, nor is HUGE open fields with a single chokepoint good terrain design.

And how can it be fun to play the same **** over and over again, it drove me insane before.

LONG LIVE CONTINENT LOCKING, LONG LIVE HOSSIN!
    • Up x 1
  2. TommyXXL

wait two more weeks and the population will begin to drop again when players will have no choice than to play on amerish or hossin.
  3. MorganM

Whatevs... fog is horrible all over every continent. It starts out OK and eventually after a few hours of playing there's so much fog on every continent that IRNV is useless. Hossin just starts you out with maximum fog annoyance. Plus it's so dark 90% of the time... but IRNV is useless... only optic that helps is thermal on vehicles.

It needs to be toned down across the entire game but I agree with the person that said -90% on Hossin.
    • Up x 1
  4. BillHaverchuck

Hossin good. Indar Bad.
    • Up x 1
  5. Vikarius

You must be playing a different game you think is planetside 2. Can't say ive been a single situation on any of the 3 original conts where there was more then minimal fog.
  6. Govedo13

I approve. Exactly my thoughts. Also the fog need to be added even to low settings. Playing on Low should not give in-game advantage.
    • Up x 2
  7. volth

Hossin is only fog, Esamir have much fog too. But Hossin feels like a game from 1998, games at that time used to have much fog and bad draw distance.
    • Up x 1
  8. Vikarius

1998 it was used as a tool because of hardware limitations...
    and Esamir doesn't have that much fog

Now its used as a tool for immersion and tactical value. Things that planetside 2 were missing. If you don't like it you are NOT forced to play on Hossin, plain and simple.

Key note about Hossin from personal experience:
    I don't think I was even damaged by a lib even once while on the ground.
    • Up x 1
  9. CHDT65

In fact, what we have in Hossin map is not exactly fog, but mist.
    I would love to have a real grey weather, with no sun, a nice overcast,
    but for some reason game developers seem unable to make this (especially true in aviation sims).
  10. hostilechild

Hossin is great if your an infiltrator. Between fog, lighting and so many obstacles (hiding places). Might play more myself, everywhere i turned the other night was an infiltrator. Willing to pay for darklight implant (1500sc!!!) hell maybe more (not that it would be fair) ;-p
  11. hostilechild

Don't kid yourself. Its still for hardware limitations. My hit reg and render issues on hossin were non existent in 150v150 + fights last night. Best performance i have ever seen for smoothness in big fights an FPS stayed high. You don't get that on the other 3 continents unless they are empty.
  12. MorganM

OH ya you're right I was playing some other game and thought it was Planetside 2. DEEERRRRRR DURRR *drools on himself*
    • Up x 1
  13. Tyrant103

Only complaint I have is that HOSSIN NIGHTS ARE BRIGHT
  14. Pikachu

Yes back then it was used in places were it did not always belong. Fog looks great where it is present in ps2. :)
    • Up x 1
  15. Vikarius

I won't kid myself, if you don't pretend to know what you are talking about. I say this because you clearly don't.

Just because it has an added effect of helping the rendering issue, does not mean it was designed and implemented for that purpose, instead I'd bet it was implemented for the aesthetic and the immersion.

Also I'd put a fair bit of money down that your experience on hit registration was no less broken on Hossin then any other continent.
    You don't seem to understand that even though the hit detection is client side which is already crap, the root issue is with the server, which means it doesn't matter how good of a rig you have, you could have a $50,000 rig with $600/mo internet it wouldn't matter.
  16. FocusLight

I like the fog, personally. Beyond all the other things mentioned, it adds ambience. It's a swamp, full of organic material, water and dense vegetation, creating a miring soup where the tree canopy is thick and light is hard to find, the fog is thick and miring. It's an infantry-player's dream, but it works both ways.

You got to be on your toes in Hossin's dark swamps, and you got to learn to blend in, use the terrain to your advantage. I've been dying lots in my quest to get to that stage, but that's okay.

I am getting better.

All the poor saps I see running around in snow-camo though, those have been easy certs. Freaking ghosts are begging to be shot.

Weaklings can dish it out but not take it.

"I don't like playing on Indar but this is where the only fights are :(."

"DEAL WITH IT!"

"... /deals with it."

"Indar is locked! Hossin and Esamir are full of fights but I don't like playing on any other continent!"

"FREAKING DEAL WITH IT INDARIAN!"

"... /quit."

"INDAR IS LOCKED BY [INSERT FACTION]" Puts a smile on my face.
  17. MorganM

I wouldn't mind the fog at all if I had optics for small arms that actually saw through this soup. Instead IRNV makes the fog WORSE! These are some of the frustrations with this game that seem so obvious, easy to fix, and yet they seem to get worse. Night Vision makes your vision at night worse. IRNV can see through smoke but not fog. They can obviously do something about it becase Thermal works stellar at night and sees right through the fog no problem.

Makes me want to jump off the top of an amp station sometimes.
  18. Stanis

Elements of the fog in video and screenshot are pretty.
    Like many of the graphic options.

My issue is that fog is not able to be controlled seperately.
    You sacrifice graphic quality at 'Low' settings to play with the advantage of no fog.
    Or alternatively those on low settings have the advantage of increased visibility.

Fog Shadows makes a mild improvement on High Graphics settings - but is one of the more performance demanding options.

I would like a seperate slider for fog:
    "minmal", "normal", "picturesque"

That gives the minimum standard for everyone so that we are all playing on an equal footing.
    normal, as intended a trade for performance / quality
    picturesque, for screenshots and videos.
  19. DxAdder

Tone down the fog or start handing out thermal vision for all infantry, trying to snipe is nearly impossible right now.
  20. libbmaster

So... the issue is you have to change your tactics on hossin?

The same way you can't do open field zergs on Esamir because they get cut to ribbons by vehicles in the lack of cover?

The same way you need to bring extra AA on Amerish because the mountains aid air-cav?

The same way you need to watch out for long range AV fire on northern Indar?

Or have to bring snipers to suppress HA nests on the walls of southeast Indar?

Or bring tanks to the rolling plains of southwest Indar?

Different places, different tactics. Adapt and survive.