Miller Continent Locking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanchester, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Valeriu

I'm not saying my opinion matters more than anyone elses.

But any dev in their right mind caters to the casual player, as thats the overwhelming majority of players, rather than the hardcore minority who will hand round no matter what.

Its real life. Is it nice? no, is it true? yes.
  2. Tanchester

48+ VS players with name tags <player nameVS>
  3. Tanchester

Yeah, guess what?
    Everybody from TR and NC left, we ghostcapped it.
  4. Tanchester

Question for everybody in this thread:

Why do we have 4 continents if we can't play on 2 of those 4?
    Let me see the reasoning. Please completely disregard your preference of continents and look at them as numbers from 1-4.
    Therefore, you're playing this game to enjoy all 4 of them, yet half of them are locked all the time...

See you!
    • Up x 1
  5. pnkdth

+1.

It is also pretty awesome that there's a point to conquering a continent beyond getting a disclaimer and a minor discount on X resource. Also, noticed there's a lot more fights and more urgency to battles which has increased the pace and pressure on each fight. Hopefully, the new recruitment feature will help new players into outfits so they don't have to roam around aimlessly getting picked off on their own.

Earlier this evening I've had amazing fights versus BRTD, INI, RO, 252, CONZ, TD42, to name a few. It would seem the above effects I've mentioned has outfits moving around more, which leads to outfits being more recognisable. It is almost like they want us to team up! :eek:
  6. Alzir

I have a favourite map, but where I end up is generally anywhere there is not a 48+ zerg-fest from either side fighting over a base for hours on end, and I'm not a casual player. I like the small to medium scale fights where you can actually move in a fight, and have spent the last 18 months trying to show friends of mine from BF games that this game has that on offer. Ironically in the last 2 weeks I finally got a couple of them to admit they were now all of a sudden enjoying this game. What we were doing was finding 1-12 or 12-24 fights with 70% enemy pop and dropping in to see what we could do. We'd lose a few sure, but win quite often, however those fights were just unavailable tonight with too many people forced to play on only two maps at prime time.

One of my friends had even bought membership, but I imagine if the game continues as it was tonight that this will be the nail in the coffin for him and the rest. Don't kill the small and medium scale SOE! Lattice almost did it, but locking two continents before battle islands are available is just going too far with this early implementation of continent locking.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pikachu

Because of variation (like for games in general) and having a mechanic of capturing something big that gives benefits. Conquer a continent that is so it is denied for the enemy and your team gets +25% or whatever.
    • Up x 1
  8. Valeriu

soooo, a team that is dominating to an extent that they lock a continent or two, get more bonuses.....why? because their oponents are not getting stomped hard enough? and maybe are having too much fun? better make it even harder for them......

Logic fail.
    • Up x 1
  9. Alzir

It's simply pandering to those who think this game is all about massive zerg fests. It's not just about that, and locking 2 continents kills the small and medium game at prime time.

Lock 2 continents during off peak hours sure, but if you do it during prime time, all we have are zergs from all sides on all lattice lanes. Fights where you can't move are not fun for many who play this game (perhaps not the majority), but more importantly it's why most fps players I know DO NOT play this game.
    • Up x 2
  10. Whatupwidat

THERE IS NO GOD!

*flips table and leaves*
  11. Pikachu

Its true it might not work so good in ps2 but in general one thinks winning and conquering should give benefits.
  12. Tanchester

I get the variation! It's cool! I tend to go to all three continents before Hossin was released. I used to start off on Amerish, and as time goes by and the migration of players to Indar, I'd finish off with a bit of play on Indar.

But now we're limited to two continents at a time, and that's just plain out stupid. I mean, they took the time to redesign Amerish and **** up Indar a bit and now we have Hossin, but somehow, they managed to give us the option to pick to play between only 2 out of 4 continents.

Not to mention, when Amerish was unlocked on Miller (and it was locked the entire day) it had 70% TR Pop... like even if I wanted to go to Amerish (and I did) I get 5 Mosquitos chasing me in every base. Like, I can't shoot all of them down and still have time to defend the base that their infantry is capping.

I think the variety is good, and people shouldn't just sit in Indar, but you know what, if they WANT to sit on Indar all day, why not let them?
    • Up x 1
  13. Pikachu

I find enough good combat but fine your experience may differ.

Prime time does not have enough populatilns for 3 continents. It becomes all indar without restriction. Or did you think the game wad just fine yesterday regarding populations and maps?
  14. Alzir

TBH i'm that used to zerg fests I can cope with them fine, but my friends have literally just started playing this game (with one even buying membership), and others buying some steam bundles, because we found good small and medium scale fights where we could influence the outcome as a small squad with 60-80% population against us. Tonight was completely different though, with two continents to chose from, the masses where on every base available, and anytime a base was about to fall to us, or we were losing, the resident zergfit on our or their faction would just drop a bunch of maxes and finish the fight.

I'm not about to cancel my membership or quit the game, but tonight has almost completely reversed the victory of nagging at these guys for almost 2 years (since september 2012!!) because they hated the experience. Imagine how that feels for me!
  15. omegaflarex

I am a PS1 veteran! Ever since May 20th, 2003. Suck it noobs, you know nothing of war. Nightmare means nothing to me. Noobs: eversince your mom nom nom nom on GMO product(s), you have evolved to the point where you feel entitled to everything.
  16. Alzir

You see when you say that I think that you are the butt of your own joke. Those who boast about being PS1 vets in the game I just think of as sheltered and nostalgic.

Well done, you supported an unpopular game, lets try and support the same mistakes all over again!
  17. Sevk

With all due respect, I'm seeing a lot of whine about something that is clearly still in development. But it's the right direction, eventually this will lead to continental lattice(soon(tm)). A lot of people see this game in the light of a solo player. That's why we get the "Lasher isn't good for anything.", "Lancer sucks.", "Magrider OP.", "Vanguard iWin shield OP!". A lot of things are meant to be used in squad / platoon player, and as of such won't be effective when a single user is around.

This is annoying on some fronts, because yes. I like shooting stuff in medium fights as well. But let's face it, where were the medium fights when all we had was prime time Indar? I honestly had a hard time finding decent fights most of the time. Continent locking won't solve that problem just yet, but what it does do is give people an objective. A goal. The glorious "metagame". And how deep or shallow it'll be the next month's, it's a step in the right direction.

Outfits are finally getting direction, many outfits have dwindled in numbers. Because the game wasn't getting content, bugs, burning out, etc. But the continent locking finally provides something for these outfits to play for. If there's an alert, you know that you can farm. If there's an alert, you know that you can try and make a stand when faction X is about to capture a continent.

This is a combined arms game after all, meaning... You'll need to accept that there are various ways of playing the game. And the medium engagements you love? They aren't always in the front line, try flanking on a broader scale than just using another corner or tree.
  18. randallt3mpd

Doesnt really make a difference when those "choices" are empty continents with no one on them.
  19. NinjaTurtle

It looks awesome. It adds a completely different atmosphere to the continent than anything else we have

Why would you want it too look the same as what we have rather than unique
  20. Goden

I'm totally cool with things looking unique.

But I'm not cool with things looking like eye-sores (even if they are unique).