Solution to HA Shields without a nerf!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RyanGUK, Jun 24, 2014.

1. RyanGUK

Give every class an attachment for certain weapons to be able to penetrate HA shields, rendering them ineffective. I'd propose that this not be the highest powered weapons, but give quite a few weapons that option for each class so if HA shields are really an issue (like many say they are), they have a counter to remove the shield.

The forfeit of being more effective against Heavy shields is that you should perhaps gain a bit more recoil, or forfeit your ammo type such as High Velocity Ammo or Soft Point Ammo in exchange for Shield Penetration Ammo.

I'd go as far to give SPA a bit of a effectiveness reduction against classes without HA shields just to make them that much more of a forfeit, but maybe that is a little too far.

In summary, users who think HA shields are a massive problem get their counter in sacrifice of something else, and HA shields keep their effectiveness against users who don't use shield penetration ammo. HA doesn't have a nerf to its recharge time either, so that's a bit win as well.

Thoughts?
  2. Silver Fox

Did this really need its own thread?

Personally I've never seen a problem with the HA to begin with.
    • Up x 3
  3. Scr1nRusher

OP..... you didn't need to create this thread.... look at the responce i gave you lol.

The HA shields are not a issue.

They are not an actual problem balance wise.
  4. Scr1nRusher

no it didn't -_-.
  5. Mekeji

As it is I kill HA easy. They don't need anything else to make them die easily. The whole point of the class is that it should be the best in a 1 on 1 fight. If you do add a way to counter their shield then you need to give them extra base health and shields to show that they are in fact the front line troops of the game.

If you are the dumb *** who thought it was a good idea to attack a HA head on as a LA you deserve to die. If you get the drop on them you will generally kill them.

The problem is that some players think they are amazing at shooters and automatically think they should be able to kill anything solo head on.

Next thing you know we will have people asking to make maxes weaker.
    • Up x 1
  6. NinjaKirby

This. Definitely this as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand these threads, I don't hear or see people raging about it in game at all. I used to be a big HA fan, until I favoured Engie & LA for support and manoeuvrability purposes respectively.

I think all versions of the shield decrease movement speed any way, that's a sufficient downside in my opinion.
  7. RyanGUK

I saw the response 5 minutes after I posted the thread so it was a little late.

I don't see the problem with this idea either though, quite a lot of people do complain about the HA shield so there must be some truth in what quite a lot of people say.

Like I mentioned in the other thread though, perhaps to make this an even more balanced idea is to not let every bullet through thus still giving the HA some advantage for having the shield whilst the user with a specialized gun still gets something back.

And if you're sacrificing HVA or SPA to specialize against one class, don't you think this is a bit worthwhile considering what you're losing against every other class?
  8. Scr1nRusher

The shield is shield HP.

Meaning you want to have like EMP Ammo or something.

Anyways...... some advice is to let the HA shield threads die down, because there are more concerning issues with the game that are actual problems..... rather then the HA shield which has never been a problem.
    • Up x 1
  9. RyanGUK

Yeah EMP ammo is a pretty good way to put it, but not make it something which has a 100% effective rate through shields, making them next to useless against that type of ammo.

Also worth saying that telling people not to post stuff they find are concerns in the game because other users don't regard them as important could result in a very dead forum. There's always somebody who think your issue is less important than something else, so lets put that idea to bed eh?
  10. Scr1nRusher

only saying that because I know how the community will go nuts over things.

if thats fair enough to say. and if someone wanted to, they would/could use that against the community to make them think a non existent problem is a problem.
  11. RyanGUK

They could, but unless somebody pulled some credible data indicating that the non-existent problem is a problem, you've just got to let the community have its vent. The important things usually get solved anyway, I mean if HA was as much of a problem as the forum makes out for it to be, it'd have been solved by now.

But that's not to say HA isn't a problem, It's that there are more concerning issues in the game, and that's no reason to stop posting about things because they aren't about those more concerning issues. :p
  12. Scr1nRusher

all I'm saying is that..... I wish you had your thread about different ammo types and expanded on that.

not add fuel to a fire to something that will cause players to complain about everything class related which will cause forumside to spiral out of control interms of utter stupidity.

Your concept of new ammo types is freaking cool and sci-fi but I wish you focused on that more then basically implying the HA shield is a problem.
  13. jiggu

The pendulum has turned. You can stop calling the shield OP now.
    • Up x 1
  14. RyanGUK

Fair enough, if you had said that originally I'd have agreed with you. There is something more to it but the idea spawned from the HA shield. You're right though, new ammo types is something SOE should look into but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I'll create another thread sometime this week so it doesn't focus so much on HA and more on different ammo types.