[Suggestion] Anti-Sniping Suits

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Caoo, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caoo

I would like to suggest a suit for anti-sniping, this can be very expensive since it is a very controversial idea. Camping is fun for the camper(?), but exceedingly boring for the camped. So I am here to propose an idea that would deter the behavior of camping.
    • Anti-Sniping suit for all classes. Make it a universal suit or class specific suit.
    • Cost: 1000 cert or higher
    • Description: If you are killed by a sniper rifle, the sniper will take the same amount of damage as they have done to you.
    "Will this break game balance?":
    Perhaps, but with a few tweaking and it should be OK. The reason is that most people will be running some other more useful suits 9 times out out 10, since the chances of meeting a sniper is relatively minor.

"How can you be sure that most of the time it won't be used?":
    It's like the mine guard on vehicles, 9 times out of 10 you would run blockade armor rather than mine guard. YET, mines is a direct counter to vehicles.

"Nah, I still think it's OP and you are practically killing the joy of sniping.":
    It's not OP because of its cost and suit slot (you can even limit it to select classes). Sniping is fun, but it's not fun when a sniper is camping a terminal. It should be fun for both sides. If I get killed by other means it's still fun because you could have anticipated it to some extent. However with sniping you cannot (unless the world is less open, i.e. more line-of-sight-obstacles.

"You're just bad, why should you get free kills for doing nothing while the sniper had to find a good spot? You !@#$%^.":
    I am already expecting some kind of insult but who cares. It's not that you are getting a free kill, this is the same as proximity mines - only for long range. You may say that proximity mines requires good placement which involves thought and planning, however the fact that you are equipping this suit also shows thought and planning. In other words, it's not a free kill - it's a high risk high return decision.:)

"Why don't you just counter snipe?":
    That's practically saying, why don't you shoot someone in the face rather than using a proximity mine. It's a trap!
  2. WarmasterRaptor

Vengeful Nanites? :eek:

That's becoming dangerous!
  3. Caoo

That's not the case, because most of the time you will be running something more useful like grenade bandolier. Please read the whole post before posting. Do you use mine guard every day?
  4. Pirbi

At one time, fully certed nanoweave would keep you from getting OHK by a sniper. Now you can defend yourself from 95% of them by moving around. They tend to just be a pest. I often joke their triggers are attached to my map key. I assume most of them sit on a hillside all day waiting for someone to stand still long enough to headshot them. I don't mind them though. Farming a few kills from a capped base they have no chance of retaking by themselves, at least they aren't doing anything useful. Proxy mines are legit too unless they fall through the floor.
    • Up x 1
  5. Akashar

I'm against it, it doesn't support an active role in counter-sniping, I agree that snipers can be pretty harmful but this is just too easy. You compare with mineguard, this is not valid, as it is as if mineguard instagibbed the enginer, which is not the case.
    It would be better if it was, like mineguard, an "antisniping helmet" preventing death from 1 headshot of BASR, and 2 from SASR.
    No damages on the attacker please!
    • Up x 1
  6. Caoo

Thank you for your constructive post in comparison to some others.

The comparison may not be valid since no comparison of two different things can be the same. However if you were to make a helmet that works exactly like a mine guard but for bullets, it would not work as well since you can shoot more than 2 bullets.

I agree with the lack of active role but this is definitely not easy, since you are more likely to run into a light/heavy assault than being sniped you are carrying a great risk too.
  7. Akashar

Why not making it working for other weapons too?
    So your helmet protects from HS from other weapons, with distinctive sound to prevent abuse, and you're still sacrificing an all around protection for a single area.
    But the whole part with "harming your attacker" needs to go, as you stated, the infiltrator has to place himself in a good spot, and this idea would really benefit no one. You are still dead, and the sniper takes no joy. Every body loses.
    But if you just make it harder for the sniper, without giving an all-around bonus for the "victim", you have snipers that are still efficient, and "victims" that have a possibility to survive= Win/Win :)
  8. Caoo

Actually it is interesting if you can block a HS from all weapons since in a medium to close quarter fight so many bullets are fired such that this supposed suit would be completely useless anyway. :)

If say the suit prevents one HS, does it break or can it repair itself? It would be a lot more interesting if it can repair itself, meaning the sniper has to work harder. Win/Win.

Thank you
  9. Akashar

I would make it work permanently, but the sound of the headshot would be tweaked for the shooter. This way he knows he should not keep on aiming to the head, and that the victim is not a hacker^^
  10. Caoo

Ah but then it would drastically change the state of medium to close quarter combat, since they tend to be quick.
  11. SOE-MOD-03

This thread has become non-constructive.
    ♥03
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.