Remove Thermals from Vehicles and the Infantry Thermal scope.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Rift23

Last I checked thermal doesn't see through rocks/walls, that would be scout/proxy radar which is probably getting you killed way more.
  2. Eaderout

No issues with these sites
  3. IberianHusky

No, how else am I going to farm in a biolab ***********?
  4. MarkAntony

lol agreed. but it would make smoke OP. And I like the IRNV on my scout rifle.
  5. Jerox

I really don't see the problem with thermal scopes. They make it easy to spot your enemy, because that's what they're supposed to do. And it's not like the thermal scopes do the aiming and killing for you. You still have to point it in the right direction, fire the weapon and handle the recoil, so I don't really understand how they're taking skill out of aiming when you still need skill to aim with them.
  6. Alchemist44

To be perfectly honest, isnt that kinda the point? Isnt that exactly what a rock-paper-scissors game mechanic means? When a tank shouldnt supposed to be afraid of simple grunts unless they have special weapons equipped and when inf shouldnt just dance around a tank and be afraid of it and run for cover if they see one and dont have weapons to counter it?
  7. Zenanii

I'm perfectly fine with thermal being taken out of the game, but then I want lock-on launchers and AV-mana turrets removed aswell because
  8. TheFamilyGhost

Assigning skill values to specific weapons is extremely self-limiting.
  9. RemusVentanus

As long as there is smoke in this game they are to stay.
  10. Sixstring

I think SOE are making this enviroment too comfortable for nerfers,it's like people realize they can get ANYTHING nerfed or changed towards what THEY want if they just whine and cry enough because very often and in the wrong situations the devs will listen to them.These posters could be 8-9 years old,there needs to be a more complicated system for creating a nerf thread and the forum/reddit should be used as a medium for new content suggestions only. I've seen some ridiculous nerfs be fully carried out and then reverted,and some balanced things get ruined because they don't bode well for the losing individuals playstyle where as if you gave the complainer the same setup the difference in effectiveness and percieved fun would be apples and hand grenades. Some people just use a certain setup more often because they are used to it and like it. More focus needs to be on making the people with complaints L2P and fixing the games glaring REAL gamebreaking issues(spawnroom warriors,ect) before PS4 release I guarantee other PS4 players like me will not be happy with people camping in spawn waiting out a timer and a game that has been thoroughly broken by people who are just too accustomed to getting their way.

TL;DR Please don't mess the game up anymore before the PS4 release,nerf the nerfers.
  11. ronjahn

Leave thermals alone. Leave everything alone. Enough nerfs already. Not everything needs to be nerfed. Thermals have been in game since release, they are not all of a sudden a problem.

In fact, I propose that the effective range of thermal sights gets increased by another 50 meters and it's cert costs should be adjusted to 30-50 to be more in line with other optics and more accessible for new players.
    • Up x 2
  12. PlatoonLeaderG

Thermal for vehicles should have gone already but only them,if ididnt had thermal for banshee i m sure i would have kill and find infantry so much easier.It helps farming a lot.
  13. Deadreach

Right. Because, you know, when militaries developed FLIR/IR tech, they went, holy ****, This lets makes identify hostile targets WAAAY TO EASY for us. Lets ******* dump it, because our enemies will be angry that we saw them standing in the open. in LOW LIGHT. It doesnt have to be ******* Pitch Black to warrant Thermals. it can be day to. People/vehicles are going to be hotter than the floor and air.

IRNV and Nightvision has been Nerfed before.
    Your "No Skill" arguement is invalid becuase YOU STILL NEED TO ******* AIM. You still need to HIT-DEAD ON with Heat weapons(That was a nerf Too. Remember the 2.5m splash on HEAT and Rockets? I do.) you have scope sway and a DELAY to get to ADS with the infantry rifle scope. and if we are going with no skill.
    FLAK Maxes dont have to HIT a plane/Lib/Gal to deal damage since the rounds airburst.
    Heavies have 3-5 Rocket launchers that go Beep beep beep Target locked, Fire me and run and ill chase a esf going 400KMH for 3000m will doing Reverse turns and flying through cannons and under bridges and thru biolabs.

thermals use to have a better range. Used to faintly outline cloaks. NV used to highlight people. But since it made you stand out while you stood in the middle of the road trying to lockon to that tank/lib. you died.

Newsflash Honey, pilots/Gunners/Tank Commanders/Gunners, THEY SEE YOU, but since theres anywhere from 1-200 ******* heavies in a battlefield, we are going to strike and get the **** out. So that means we are going to use thermals for a quick target acquisition. Dust(try to) any ****** standing in the open easy enough to bullseye, and run away from the 10 lockons, 500 dumbfires, AV machinegun fire, Mana AV turret, AV Base Turrets with the reload speed of a ******* sniper rifle bolt.

Tired of getting Lib farmed, Get a buddy or two, Pull back a hex, Pull skygaurds, and clear the air. Yesterday A squadmate and I pulled 2 skygaurds and downed 2 libs and the esf lolpodders and cleared the air to the point where we were sitting there bored out of minds ( Vehicle ReEquip/Supply Please)

Nerfing isnt the answer, Adapting and learning that sometimes youll have to play AA and sometimes you have to pull an AV weapon to shift the battle.
    You want META/Tactics when its screaming in your face. MAKE YOUR OWN META. Get an outfit going, find the other tactic outfits link up and coordinate things, You see that a battle is sinking becuase a Increased Air/Armor Presence, Lead the counter, Get people together to start an armor column or an Air wing. and take them out.

Adapting and Conquering the farmers becuase they are so focused on hitting infantry for xp. they wont see you coming until its toolate.
    • Up x 1
  14. Scr1nRusher

the point is.....

Thermals remove player skill, by reducing it to "so easy the Flash physics could do it" levels interms of player aiming, positioning and involvement.
  15. Deadreach

How so? Its a scope, It increase accuracy like everyother ADS. it has a reduced range than other scopes becuase of the vision limit, the infantry version has sway and a deloy to get to ADS. Without it, it gives the VS perfect camo for free in biolabs/nighttime/amerish. and in life today, gunships/drones are equipped with FLIR/IR to make target acquisition quicker and more effective. I personally dont like it, it glitches with underbarrel attachments, its delay gets me killed all the times, and the limited view is annoying as hell. the only plus infantryside is that its aligned perfectly, unlike reflex(Btw, TR Reflex scopes are the ****tiest, I want the NC/NS ones) which have a sway and never feel on target.
  16. Frosty The Pyro

I likely would have preferred the game without thermal, but its a genie and the bottle sort of thing. there is no real going back. Best you could hopefor is to split it into specific types, ones that highlight infantry, ones that highlight ground vehicles, ones that highlight air, you could give the different effective ranges and side effects as applicable to the type.

alternately you could have cert lines that make you not show up in ir/nv/thermal. roll it into stealth for vehicles, add one to infantry that reduces the range were they will be highlighted by vision modes and the range at which prox/scout radars and sensor dart/arrow/motion scanner will detect them. Actually i kinda like that idea, cold suits countering thermal worked in dystopia, it (cold suit) was a rarely used implant, but it was just common enough to keep the thermal users on their toes.
  17. Fortress

Thermal is one of the big reasons that playing infantry sucks in this game.
    • Up x 1
  18. Cab00se187

Thermal scopes would make sense if they were used to scan for heat detection through walls or obstacles, they are not. Night vision is just a complete joke because what bloody night? These scopes are pointless and useless and do not even serve the purpose that they should be intended for.
    • Up x 1
  19. Fellgnome

It comes at a high price however. You get sway on top of the slower ADS speed which does matter. I choose iron sights over HS/NV most of the time because I'm noticeably more accurate with irons, even with TR's crappy iron sights.

Vehicle thermal though, I have no excuses for. I think there should at least be an implant that hides players from thermal. Right now it's impossible to do anything outside at many fights because several tanks and/or air are just waiting for the little bright infantry lights to appear and spam their HEAT/HE/Bulldog/Zephyr/Rocket Pod/whatever at until that light disappears.
  20. FishMcCool

Some days, you feel like people in this game should be playing WWII Online.

It's still up folks if modern warfare tech is so offensive to your MLG skills. And you won't have to deal with any lock-on, thermal optics, cloak, hovercrafts, flying tanks, etc.
    • Up x 1