[Suggestion] Deleting inactive outfits' tags

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shalalala, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Shalalala

Hello everyone,

As all of you know there are more than enough small outfits full of people that have not been online the last 200+ days and a large number of them are occupying an outfit tag. I am leading a recently formed outfit named Undivided Gamers and we are a multi-gaming community with our own TS3 server and everything else to run an outfit smoothly (totally not promoting ourselves here) but we just can't get the outfit tag [UG], which we are using in other games, and it is just disappointing to settle for an alternative.

Now don't get me wrong and think that we consider ourselves entitled to this tag or that I think it is ours because we are using it elsewhere. All I am asking for is to free up the outfit tags of outfits with players that have been inactive for a reasonable enough time to consider them having stopped. I am sure there are other outfits out there, who have encountered the same problem, for example (correct me if I'm wrong), Vanus Revenge, who are an incredibly well fighting outfit (totally not promoting them either), did not get the tag [VR] and, although I am unaware of who is holding the tag right now, it is possible for them to get that tag through freeing up outfit tags.

So to conclude, all I am suggesting is to give back to the community outfit tags of outfits that have not been active for a notable time period so that no outfit tag becomes dead money.

Anyways, please tell me what you think! Is this a good idea or should I go crucify myself?

Cheers,
    Shalalala
    • Up x 3
  2. RubiksCubix

I see the reasoning behind this. Perhaps before the tag is taken a warning can be displayed telling players to get active or risk loosing their tag.
    • Up x 2
  3. Shalalala

I wanted to add that into my post but it seems like I forgot to... Anyways... The affected outfit leader will of course be informed via e-mail and given a time interval to respond (say 60 days?). I guess to make thing simple they should also get the option to do so immediately but with the possibility to revoke this choice within 72 hours; should they not take back the decision of giving up the outfit tag then it should be made available to the community again.

I haven't thought this through comprehensively so feel free to add things to it!
    • Up x 2
  4. Jaycemonde

I have somewhat mixed feelings on this, although I can understand the sentiment entirely, but at the very least SOE should allow outfits in different factions to share the same tags, since there are only so many four-character combinations that make any sense to split among three factions with thousands of players, and it'd be pretty damn hard to confuse the two that way.
  5. Foxirus

I might be doing my math wrong, But with four slots and 25 letters to choose from, That gives people 390,625 combinations.

All I did was do 25x25x25x25 =390,625 Letter combinations

If they were to add one more character it could be 25x25x25x25x25= 9,765,625 Letter combinations.

If my math is completely wrong, Feel free to correct me.
  6. Desirsar

The math isn't the problem, English is. A lot of words start with E or T. Not going to be much competition for the tag for the outfit Joe's Zamboni Xploder Queens.
    • Up x 1
  7. Shalalala

Allowing outfits in different factions to have the same tag surely gives players more options, but would you really want to share a tag with another (potentially well-established) outfit and be seen as a copy cat? But that's just my opinion on that idea and I suppose you could post this as your own suggestion if you wanted to. (I won't take responsibility of any negative impact you cause through this action)

Those frozen (for the lack of a better word) tags though really need to be dealt with, as the only way to free up the outfit tags of the inactive is if the inactive came online to delete their tags themselves - but let's be honest that's very unlikely! This just means certain tags - and a good handful of them are rather good tags - will be locked forever. So while we are about to add some features to outfits why not implement this? Everything should be cleaned up after a while, right? So why not recycle all those inactive tags and make them available to others again?
  8. Jaycemonde

Why massah, y'all's too kind.

Exactly.