The magic of micro stutter.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RainbowDash9, Jun 8, 2014.

1. RainbowDash9

So just got a brand new computer, I-5 4440 @ 3.1, 8GB of RAM, intel 4600 graphics, lovely thing, can run the game on ultra at a constant 30. Everythings great. except for the micro stutter. when ever i move around in game, itll give me the glorious problem of micro stuttering. very frequently actually.
    (NOTE: this is not the only game that does it.)

so my question is, is there anything i can do that to fix it for my games, or at least planetside? cuz its hella annoying and makes it near impossible to play.
  2. namd3

Troll thread?

get your self a decent GFx card
    • Up x 1
  3. RainbowDash9

its decent enough if it runs ultra just fine. the point is that it micro stutters. other games like warframe that i can run a perfect 60 on max settings and it still stutters. even my old ****** laptop that had integrated hd 3000 didnt stutter.
  4. FrankHH

Ultra on an HD 4600? Either Intel has done wonders or you're lying.
    • Up x 1
  5. RainbowDash9

i can record gameplay if youd like.
    (also please do understand this is not with 100% render quality. so i guess you could say its not TRUE ultra, but i had the preset set to ultra and turned off AO per my personal preference.)

(doubly also, instead of focusing on my ability to run good graphics settings, can we focus on the thing this thread is about? or is that too difficult for the internet to handle?"
  6. RainbowDash9

ok so heres a video for you non believers. also i noticed that the lower frames from recording seemed to make the micro stutter a lil less frequent. its still there, but not near as much as it is when i dont record.
    and HOLY **** youtube, god you tore up the quality..

7. ShortRovnd

$200 video card + SSD
  8. BlackDove

The term "micro stutter" is typically used to describe the frametime variance inherent to multi gpu setups that use alternate frame rendering(all geforces and radeons).

You might have a similar effect if you have the in game Vsync and driver level Vsync on simultaneously. Use the in game Vsync and turn driver level Vsync off since Intel doesnt have adaptive Vsync.

If you dont have Vsync on and its doing it, make sure smoothing is off.

Smoothing is terriblr and they need to remove it from the game.

Also i believe that the maximum mempry that HD Graphics can use is 1GB of comparitively slow shared DDR3. Do you have multiple DIMMs or a single 8GB?
  9. BlackDove

An SSD wont help in this case. Theyre largely a waste of money since games arent typically I/O limited. More RAM is a better way to spend his money.
  10. Atis

Try medium setting, does stutter stay?
  11. Plunutsud pls

Switch down to High settings and reduce render distance to 3000m or less.
  12. FrankHH

Try switching to high texture quality, ultra causes micro-stuttering.
  13. Smagjus

Except that Planetside actually is in many cases. It constantly loads assets from the hard drive. If you use teleporters, terminals, open menus, die or just enter a new region you will likely notice stuttering on an HDD. The same stuttering is much less noticeable on an SSD.
  14. TeknoBug

lol ultra on an HD4600... in Wonderland maybe.
    In that video you're not maintaining 30fps, motion blur looks god awful below 50fps and motion blur quality in that video is blatantly obvious.
  15. BlackDove

Thats not like the stutter hes describing. Thats the pause while it loads things from a HDD. An SSD would help with that but not a micro stutter. On a single GPU micro stutter would likely be a Vsync or memory bandwidth related issue. Given how CPU intensive this is AND the fact that hes using integrated which shares dual channel DDR3 vs a real GPU that would have about 5-10x the memory bandwidth for just the GPU that his GPU and CPU share it could be that.
  16. RainbowDash9

the words to look at are "in that video" thats the first video i recorded on here. of course im not gonna maintain 30 fps when im recording. computers not THAT great. but when not recording it stays pretty level. now quit yappin and let the adults talk about getting the probkem fixed.

Now back on track, I'm going to lower some settings incrementally and eventually to medium settings to see if the stuttering stops.
  17. Smagjus

That's true, seems like I got you wrong then.

Anyways watching the video I don't think this is stuttering but simply low FPS. This looks like 24FPS or lower.
  18. RainbowDash9

the video is low fps because im recording. but at the same time recording seemed to fix the issue. the stuttering comes in when i have higher frames (basically 30 and above.) setting my graphics to medium made the problem only a tiny bit better, so im not sure on what to do at this point aside from buy a new card, which will take awhile.

Also i sent in a support ticket so we'll see what they have to say. i swear to god if they say "you're graphics card doesnt meet the minimum requirements" im gonna be mad. thats what they said about the frickin voice chat issues -_-
  19. Nerp

lol integrated graphics.

Try switching things down, especially shadows, which I suggest you entirely turn off.
  20. Eyeklops

I've heard people say stuff like this before, not quite sure how accurate it is. AFAIK, setting vsync to "on" in game just hands that instruction down to the driver when setting the graphics mode, which is equivalent (mostly) to turning the setting on in the driver control panel.