Lightnings and the upcoming tanking changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silus, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Silus

So everyone seems to be yelling and complaining about their MBTs and the upcoming tanking changes.

ANCHOR MODE USELESS
    MAGS NERFED OMG
    VANGUARD CQC MASTER RACE

And so on and so forth, you get the idea.

But how will these tanking changed affect the Lightning?

IMO
    The velocity nerf will mean that the already flimsy Lightning will have to get in closer and mix it up with the far more powerful and durable (and now stabilized) MBTs. This will result in the likely scrapping of said Lightning, as, let's face it, nobody uses pack tactics with the light tank (Pack tactics in CQC ain't really workable due to the nature of maps and general engagement layouts).

And assuming that the velocity nerf is for all tank turrets, the Skyguard is gonna get **** on so hard.
  2. Alarox

3. repinSniper

IMHO, Lightnings should not be touched in regards to velocities and gravity values. Seems, well, just right to have them stay the same. Can't really pin down a reason why, just a gut feeling.

Allowing a fast, flanking tank with medium/low armor values/HP to have range and profile advantage over the harder hitting, slower moving, high resistance counterparts seems reasonable to me. I don't think I would enjoy getting even more so up close and personal in my Lightning on a MBT then what we do now.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rigsta

90KPH forwards, 65KPH backwards, stabilized 1st-person AP turret and max stealth? I'm looking forward to it.
    • Up x 2
  5. Cswic

Lightnings will actually benefit imo. They have always been a "flank tank" or hit and run vehicle so the stabilized turret and increased reverse speed will help greatly.

Lower velocity of other tank guns means the lightning can dodge easier due to its higher speed. Other tanks don't move quite as fast, so the lightning won't feel the turret velocity nerf as much vs MBTs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Silus

Agreed. Lightnings seem to be right where they need to be in terms of performance at the moment. IMO, they're likely the most balanced vehicle in the game (Alongside possibly Sunderers).

I don't think I've legitimately seen anyone actually complain about Lightnings being OP and needing a nerf that the MBTs are currently getting.
  7. lawn gnome

most of their comments seemed to be focused on MBTs, so i doubt lightnings will be changed much. even if nothing changes on the lightning the listed changes are huge and WILL effect game balance. so lightnings might go away entirely or they might become the ultimate OP go to vehicle for everyone.
    i didn't know you ran lightnings. i have only ever seen you in the air that i can remember.
  8. repinSniper

I wasn't always an Air Commander, and I enjoy all aspects of this game; meaning I don't always fly. Other then that, yea you wouldn't see me, I'm always either skulking around and flanking/poking using my AP with insane effectiveness (why I didn't realize this tactic sooner is beyond me) or setting up a tank mined Skyguard AO (sadly Skyguards don't get the best KPM or VKPM where I need to use them) to support my friends when I am downed or just want to flak up the skies. Combined arms operating effectively in an outfit is where it's at, and if you don't understand certain parts of that combined arms function, you are royally screwed. (also, I don't die often when I'm in one ;) without taking a lot out with me or beforehand)

Except the infantry farming HE ones, which is, more the state of HE shells in general then the Lightning itself.
  9. Littleman

This probably due to the fact that it's a baby prowler-vanguard. Speed and a fair bit of firepower actually, but no freaking durability or maneuvering capability (before rival) what-so-ever.

Seriously, if you think this thing can maneuver well without rival, you haven't actually driven a Prowler. A prowler with racer is literally a bigger, better lightning.
  10. Oathblivion

I just want my Viper back... :c
  11. PWGuy93

If a TANK doesn't have RANGE, might as well call it a harasser with a different skin.

Am still waiting to hear from someone at SOE on WHY they want to introduce these changes so we can better respond and give feedback on underlying causes. As of now, it's because... and that is not acceptable.
  12. Alarox

Keep in mind that the gravity increase is going to hurt everyone a lot. If there's something to be worried about, it is this. 25% more drop. That's like going from Vanguard HEAT to Lightning HE, or an Anchored AP Prowler to an unanchored HEAT Prowler.
  13. Kriegson

Viper is OK, still good for farming infantry, it just gives you a lot more room for error. The downside of course being that in the time you fire all your shots, reload, and are ready to fire again, the HEAT will probably have fired its second shot and be reloading. Of course the viper continues to fall further behind with each "Rotation" and on top of that the viper needs to be exposed (and deal with recoil) for the duration of his shots. The HEAT and other cannons do not.

That said, again, more room for error. Speed doesn't matter if the HEAT misses a shot, as opposed to the viper ranging in quite effectively.

OT: I think lightnings will be fine. MBT's will have slower, more dropping projectiles and we get even faster reverse. You could never say the strength of the lightning was 'High turret velocity" or something to that degree. It was always mobility and low profile. And still will be.
  14. lawn gnome

or vanguard cannon to "still better than any cannon the magrider CURRENTLY has" just go into VR and fire the pumpkin launcher a few times. there is a reason you rarely see magriders off at render range shelling targets.