Question about SMGs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SuperLexatron, Jun 6, 2014.

1. SuperLexatron

On my TR character I intend to get an SMG, however as far as I can tell the attachments in the VR on the SMGs don't work. (At least the suppressor and Adv. laser sight make no difference)

So my question is, does anyone know if the advanced laser sight on the Hailstorm reduces the hip fire as much as it does on the NC Blitz? I assume it does, but would just like to be sure before I spend any certs.
  2. Kaiju Cage Match

I don't have the Blitz on my NC so I can't say for sure, but I have the Hailstorm and the hipfire cone of fire is pretty small with the advanced laser sight.
  3. Humvoid

Get the Armistice, Hailstorm's TTK is too high to be practical on infiltrator. The extra 10 rounds it has over the Blitz are a total waste because you'll rarely be alive to use them due to its lower RoF.

They buffed the accuracy to a small degree on the Hailstorm, but in a really stupid/pointless way and you're way better off using a PDW if you want more accuracy than the Armistice still.
  4. SuperLexatron

Thanks. Any chance you could screenshot it for me? If not then fine, i'm happy to take your word on it :)
    Not quite the question I asked :p But personally I prefer the extra ammo for a) Panic shooting and b) More potential killing power when flanking a group of 3-4 enemies. I noticed the cyclone would get me killed a lot because I would take the first 2 down and have to switch to my sidearm for the others. I am trigger happy and panicky when it comes to coming across multiple enemies, the extra ammo gives me a bit more forgiveness for that.
  5. FateJH

It does modify the crosshair slightly, but, because the Hailstorm already has a significantly small cone of fire, the improvement you'll see you with advanced laser sight is minor. If attachments in VR are not changing the handling of the weapon in VR for you consistently, you should file that as a bug report ticket. There is no reason that it shouldn't work. (Test something that offers you an appreciable cone of fire, but also has advanced laser sight. Stand in front of the terminal and keep the crosshair visible. Put it on, take it off, compare.)

Let's not get into Gen 1 versus Gen 2 SMG arguments. That's not what this thread is about.
  6. SuperLexatron

Yeah i'm 99% sure it's bugged and I made a bug report about it. It literally doesn't change the size of the crosshair. The suppressor does not change the sound at all nor does it seem to affect the damage and the worst one is if I attach a red dot sight to the SMG, it glitches out entirely - the whole gun blocks the the shots and the red dot sight is aiming way above where it is shooting)

I just tested out the Lynx with Adv. Laser sight, same thing - no change.

I will get some screenshots up if I can.

If anyone could upload a picture of the Hailstorm with adv. laser sight that would solve all my problems btw.
  7. Axehilt

It's somewhat a matter of skill level:
    • If you don't achieve over 1.5 K/D, you want to optimize for burst.
    • If you do achieve higher than 1.5 K/D, you optimize for sustain.
    Which isn't to say a skilled player can't also get great results with the Armistice, but more that the Hailstorm equips you to have more control over your reload timing -- you now have the option to take out all ~3 of those guys at once, rather than being forced to reload to finish the last guy off.

As for the attachments, yeah they're pretty important to see better results out of hipfiring with any empire's SMGs. Not as overpowered as they once were (you used to be able to hipfire headshot dudes reliably at like 40m, it was ridiculous and needed a reduction.)
    • Up x 1
  8. Lord_Avatar

I'd say Armistice > Hailstorm by a fair margin. Sure, you *can* kill people with the Hailstorm, but it falls short in the stopping power department - badly... Grab the 1st generation SMG, slap Ex. Mags on it and enjoy.
  9. SuperLexatron

Ooook guys, let's be clear here. This is exactly what this post is:

-My VR seems to be bugged, and attachments don't make any difference
    -I AM buying the Hailstorm, I am well aware of my options and the pros and cons of each weapon
    -I would like to know if the Adv. Laser sight reduces the hipfire as much as it does on the other SMGs i.e. Blitz or Sirius.
    -A screenshot of the Hailstorm with Adv. Laser Sight would solve all of my problems.

This post is not:

-A discussion about which SMG I should choose.

I appreciate the advice but I know what my options are, I know what both of the guns offer and what they're good and bad at - and for my own reasons I will be choosing the hailstorm (at least until I auraxium it).

I only want to know whether or not the Adv. laser sight is as effective on the Hailstorm as it is on guns like the Blitz - I cannot test this because my VR is very screwed and most attachments don't work. Saying 'yes it is' would be great, and providing me a screenshot would be even better.
  10. Lord_Avatar

In that case I can't help you. The Adv. Laser Sight *does* decrease the hip COF on any and all guns it's attached to, but to varying degrees.
  11. SuperLexatron

Yeah it's pretty much that 'varying degree' that I am hoping to define. A screenshot of someone standing still with the Hailstorm equipped with the Adv. laser sight would be just grand ;)
  12. Epic High Five

TR's only real option is the Armistice, which is a <10m IWIN button

NC's only real option is the Cyclone, which is our best carbine as well as the best SMG overall

edit - best non-X11 carbine of course