Recon Infiltrator build?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Silus, May 31, 2014.

1. Silus

So I'm looking at setting up a support build for my Infiltrator but am a bit stumped as to where to start.

Thus far I'm leaning towards motion-dart crossbow, the new'ish motion drop sensor thing, ammo belts and stalker cloak. This is of course just based off a sense of "huh, this makes sense sorta". Assistance and suggestions are appreciated.
  2. MarkAntony

Don't know why you would sacrifice the ability to kill anything but if you really wanted to be a scout only that should work.
  3. Silus

I just feel that recon and information gathering isn't done that often. Stealth out and get reads on the enemy platoon's location, mark up and call out enemy pushes, etc. While less kill-oriented (that's what sniping is for) it would be none the less valuable, especially for small fire team squads and the like.

Edit: also what about decoy grenades and mines?
  4. ironeddie

I think your build is right for what you want to do. Mines might be nice so you could do something offensive. The last I heard on decoy grenades is that they don't work well. So unless that's changed I wouldn't bother.
    • Up x 1
  5. yeHHH1g

In my opinion, pushing with your squad as an infilitrator is most effective, especially if you are rolling with a small squad. No need for detect xbow as one motion detector tells you everything you need in a 50m radius, also the detect bolts don't last long at all. Here is my playstyle in action supporting a half squad:
  6. K2k4

That was some fine usage of the MKV supressed.

As for the placement of the sensor. I'm quite surprised it lasted that long. When I put it outside the walls of a base, I find it gets destroyed quickly. The only different thing I may have done from your video is I would probably have put a new dart down in the console room or atop the console itself.

But comparing the two, I definitely like the motion sensor significantly more than the dart. Knowing which direction my opponent is facing is priceless and has saved my butt dozens of times.
  7. BillHaverchuck

Assuming that you have an engineer in your squad you have infinite recon darts when you get your ammo resupplied. So... just max your recon darts and make a build that you can kill with.
  8. Inf1nite

If all you want to do is spam darts and get xp then go with ammunition belt, crossbow with recon dart bolts, your favorite primary, and the recon detect device. The motion spotter you can only place right next to you and although it lasts a lot longer, you can only place one at a time and you can't place it anywhere you want.
  9. yeHHH1g

The xp you get with detect assists is pretty much negligible. Easiest way to get xp is to get kills, if xp is what you are looking to get most efficiently.
  10. Inf1nite

I know, but he said that he wanted a 'recon infiltrator build', so I gave him my suggested weapons and abilities for recon darts as he stated in his original post.
  11. Ripshaft

That .... just doesn't make sense... the ability to recon as in infil is intrinsic, you don't need to build around it, and any attempt to do so results in absurdity. If you want to provide the most utility to a group, and are not an especially proficient combattant, you'll want to focus on motion detection darts and staying alive while laying down fire. To this end, you'll naturally want maxxed out recon device, which you'd want regardless - and some form of ranged weapon - The ranged weapon can be a number of things, any scout rifle, the ns-pdw, the short range semi auto and bolt action sniper rifles... all depends on your proficiency in combat. If you're not particularily good with shooting, then the pdw with a foregrip, comp and 2x/irnv [day/night] would serve you the best, if you're a damn fine shot, the short range bolt actions or scout rifles would probably do you more good for taking down priority targets.

I suppose there's no harm in investing in nano armour cloak, but if you're with a group and hanging back I doubt this would make much of a diff. Ammo, bandoleir, or adv shields are all fine options for group work, depending on your ability and group comp and their ability.

The motion sensor is pretty good but it's not nearly as flexible as the recon darts - if you're the kind of group that likes to camp the tele room or play "hold the hill" on attack then it might work better for you, but if you like to get stuff done you're probably better with darts.

Of course you really should mess around with everything to find what works best for you, though for the infil's tool especially, the cert breaks are insane, so it can be time consuming if you dont have it all maxxed allready.
  12. Moz

Take the RDDs not the sensor, that way you mitigate the need to use the recon dart crossbow and can still use an actual gun if you insist on using stalker.

If it was me and you want to be of maximum help to my team i would take:

• Hunter Cloak
    • Nanoweave or Shield Cap (depending on how you like to play)
    • RDDs
    • AP mines
    • EMP Nade
    • Blitz - Reflex or NV scope, advanced lazer and suppressor (or other platform as you see fit)
    • Commissioner / Underboss / Crossbow (depending how you like to play)
    • CAMMO that is good for your location (i have found use of the correct cammo as infil will help you in tricky situations)....... or maybe you can just go all giraffe.
    With this setup you can keep up RDD coverage for your team, help with the setup of defensive posistions using your mines, and should you need it you actually have firepower.

A lot of the time you should be hacking terminals and turrets in order to support your team the best you can, you have to get there so having something to take people down is always helpful.

Besides that, stick to the outter edges of your squads posistion, almost circling between cover making sure your guys dont get flanked and relaying information / spotting.
  13. ShotgunGuru

If you are truly into recon, use a crossbow with a 6x scope, ammo belt, stalker cloak, land mines, recon dart detector, and maybe have people let you be squad lead, and put down squad beacons.
  14. Godsmangamer

high end recon
    to really do good recon you need to be a squad leader
    then use the certs their
    smoke marking, targeting using attack and defense markers.
    with the rest
    stalker cloak, better for remaining unseen. ( and travel much easier through enemy ground)
    recon device( because you can move on and leave a active watcher on a location giving away enemy sundies.)
    crossbow regular dart( for when you need a little silent firepower)
    from what I have read recently the decoy grenade now works so when they are hot on your tale and using radar
    through one out and use the radar bilp to move away while the enemy looks in that direction.
    either grenade bandoleer, nano weave, or flack.
    I take mines with me to leave in entertaining locations. ( I always use 2 at a time this usually kills even with flack)

the problem with this type of high end recon is that you need to be part of a larger team to make this work as in being a squad leader of a small squad giving Intel to a larger group especially if the group has a good command section. This is nearly impossible to work with in the current platoon setup.
  15. salembeats

All-out irritating entrenched support recon with absolutely NO regard to firepower:

Cloak: Stalker Cloak (Obviously)

Radar: Motion Spotter (Highest Quality Radar for Point Defense/Capture)

Weapon: Crossbow w/ Detect Darts (Quick Chokepoint Checks)

Suit: Ammo Belt (More Detect Darts)

Grenade: Decoy Grenades (For Baiting/Escaping)

Utility: Medkits (Dead Infils Collect No Information)

Implant: Enhanced Targeting (For Reporting HP of High-Threat Shieldless Targets., esp. Tanks/Sunderer/MAX)

Voicepack: Anything but Greenhorn (Mask Commonly-Heard Faction-Specific Callouts)
  16. Mustarde

This thread is kind of silly - not because recon is silly, but because of all the wierd builds that won't really help you or your allies win a fight.

For point defense/holds, a maxed out spotter will last forever, with real-time data - doesn't get better than that.

I bring Recon darts to biolabs, tech plants, or when I am being mobile to hunt targets (cover large area, able to scan areas prior to you entering them)

Beyond that, recon is not a build - it's a mission. I can take a stalker cloak with literally any weapon and sit on an enemy tower, or nearby mountain and relay enemy vehicle movement and composition to my platoon. You don't need decoy grenades and recon dart crossbows (a total waste since it's redundant and you'll die with only your knife to defend). I can provide recon while I do my regular sniping.

When I drop behind enemy lines to hack terminals and turrets, I usually bring a scout rifle or SMG. You WANT the firepower, so you can stay alive and keep hacking.

EMP's are so much more useful for infiltrators. Sapping spawn beacons, defusing mines and clearing point rooms before your allies come by... I'll take it over a decoy or even frag every time, even if for that one moment where you get to EMP a beacon on a roof.

So don't worry about what build you need for "recon". Figure out what your platoon needs to know, and then you can come up with a method to accomplish this and a build to support you.

Hint: the most important two things an infiltrator can cert if you truly want to get behind enemy lines and "recon": wraith flash and ESF ejection seat
  17. DeathFX

Rolling with NS PDW, Detector QCX, drop detector and ammo belt here. Most often it's a good idea to be squad leader as well. Drop a beacon, start dropping arrows all over the place, then get in your scan assist certs.
  18. zaspacer

I do Dart Duty a lot, and the key things for me are:
    1) Recon Tool (as high as possible Certed) - to lay down the darts
    2) Medical Kit - to stay alive if you take some hits
    3) SMG w/ Suppressor +2x Scope - to stay alive if you run into the enemy close up while doing dart duty
    4) Hunter Cloaking - standard cloak
    5) Adrenaline Pump - been using this recently and lovin it. Get where you want to go faster, get away from where you don't want to be faster, and better at dodging shots

If you are doing long distance Spot duty, I like to use 12x Zoom on the high end Bolt Action. I do my spots while cloaked, not sure if that helps keep me off the minimap. I also really like doing Spot duty in an ESF.