Reduce liberator resistance to dumbfires & ESF rotaries.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, May 31, 2014.

1. Axehilt

Yeah, and really all air needs a specialization pass. Meaning if a loadout is good at A2A, it should be bad at A2G, and vice-versa. (With a generalist build in between.)

It's just make for a lot more interesting loadout variations than what we have now. Doesn't require too many changes to make it happen either (they just need enough balance work to make the choices feel meaningful)
    • Have all aircraft weapons exist on a spectrum between "light" and "heavy", with heavy weapons being the only ones good at punching through heavily-armored targets but they reduce your agility and increase your momentum.
      • Existing aircraft would all be placed somewhere on the spectrum. Each would reduce agility by the amount relative to their effectiveness against armor.
        • Notably, both the Tank Buster and Dalton would be heavy weapons. The agility reduction stacks.
        • The effectiveness of some weapons would probably get tweaked to create a nice distribution. For example maybe the Shredder is a "light" secondary, so it's damage would get slightly reduced against high-armor targets.
        • Existing ESF noseguns would be on the lighter end of the spectrum, but varied somewhat (so there would actually be some real reasons to take the slightly-heavier ones to do slightly more damage against armored targets.)
      • New "Heavy" ESF nosegun added. While it wouldn't have the raw OMFG-ridiculous damage output of Daddy Tank Buster, it would be sort of Baby Tank Buster with similar balancing mechanisms (projectile drop, low speed, inaccurate) to ensure it's a close ranged weapon. In addition to being a heavy weapon, and thus making your ESF less agile.
    • Up x 2
  2. Kunavi

I think the only problem with Libs is that they can be used against isolated, weak and smaller Infantry pockets. But... Persistent MMOFPS is what you came for.

Apart from that it's a problem created by a few things really; Thermal which should be more limited in range, bad Spawn design, all Lib weapons being extremely effective against all targets or forcing targets to use particular equipment either defensive or offensive which makes them very weak against other imminent threats and requires many trips to said pathetic Spawn rooms, unreasonable maneuverability of Libs, "Combined Arms" logic balancing with PS2 hardly ever escalating to such a point(When it does, Libs are FAR from unstoppable), ESFs not hunting Libs(Also, ESFs never guarding Libs but that's irrelevant)... Should I go on?

It's not the Liberator, it's... SOE logic. That's what needs to change. And exactly what IS the Liberator? Because it doesn't have a clearly defined role, it's just a flying Cert Machine until Zerg VS Zerg, where it's forced to make quick bombing passes(And the only weapon that should reliably do that, can't even 6-Shot Infantry. I know it takes more than 3 direct hits on non Flak), then get shelled, Locked, Dump-Fired on and shredded by SG and Bursters, Basilisks, Walkers... Which is why pilots can't agree it's really OP.

GL untangling this mess SOE has made of their Rock-Paper-Scissors-Random.
  3. iller

4. NCstandsforNukaCola

You look enjoying that pic ;)
  5. Brandmon

Liberators are fine as they are.

The dynamic between its past, tamer state and the current, potent state shouldn't be taken as a signal of its objective strength. The Liberator gained the most from a game that was completely complacent of Liberators. Yet the Liberator is still vulnerable to AA threats it can do very little about without taking costly risks.

What matters is that most people actually caught on to how Liberators function now and react accordingly. ESF wolfpacks are more prominent and Ground-AA takes on a Liberator as a priority over an ESF, thus giving the ESFa strike-opportunity that wasn't afforded to it before the Liberator-buff. The shifting of the risk-reward equation didn't force pilots to quit. It actually forced them to play smarter. And that is a good thing.

The only objective problem with Liberators is seat-switching; which is way too forgiving and frankly a symptom of a game that simply doesn't take the requirement of teamwork seriously enough.
  6. Vixxing

Dumbfires? Agreed! Rotarys? are you mad? any newb can take out a lib with ESF...
  7. Vixxing

8. Johnthefighter

In all honesty instead of buffing or nerfing, they might consider reducing the xp and cert gains from kills from these vehicles. They still are powerful then but lets see how many people are pulling them all the time when the only benefit to them is truly to help out the team. Sure you will see the high BR players use them for fun still, but I wonder if we would see the spam we do now. If say all of a sudden the rewards for kills as an infantry player far exceeds that of a vehicle user against infantry, would be interesting to see the result. Against other vehicles keep it the same, but reduce the infantry farm to the point where it isn't profitable at all anymore. I would like to see this effect because then it would be more "skill based" and designed only around the use as a team benefit, not a farm spawn room infantry or infantry at all. Make it like the sunderer spawn each infantry kill is only worth say 20 xp, I would hazard to guess that some of these "they are farming us" and "vehicles are so OP" threads would be reduced.
  9. Archlyte

Libs should be more resistant to ground fire and less resistant to ESFs. Libs are broken because they are the top of the food chain for no good reason. They hunt ESFs (which was not the case in PS1), and they dominate ground vehicles and infantry.

ESFs should make lib crews scream in terror.
    • Up x 1
  10. DeLayze

just add some small arms vulnerability to the libs. just ... a bit. you know. some 30+ people shooting with guns on a lib should damage it somewhat. currently i don't think they take any damage at all from infantry. like galaxies. but... a small bit of damage? would that be so bad?
  11. Vikarius

dumbfires as in HA rocket launchers? No...

I agree on the ESF rotaries, Libs should be made to be eaten alive by ESFs. Libs should be food for ESF, Libs are supposed to be A2G not A2G+A2A+Super flying tank gods.

The Lib has the highest offensive capability in the air, the trade off is slower speed. Even if the lib's armor was nerfed down to the same as ESF (remember the above trade off) it would STILL be balanced.

The galaxy should be the ONLY tank in the sky, it is the slowest and has the largest hitbox by far with limited offensive capabilities.
  12. Vixxing

With that logic lightnings should easy be able to kill MBT... ESF are already faster more maneuverable than a LIB... piloted well a LIB got no/slim chance at all as it is, against a 1 player vehicle that is cheaper...(though nerf shredder against airunits its just to easy to use)
  13. Vikarius

No, if anything that means the lightning should be easier to kill. It is a speedy , single manned heavy weapon platform. It should be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I have always supported that MBTs main gun should be controlled by the gunner not the driver (would require a major tweak for magriders) and the current gunner weapons should be fixed for driver. MBTs main design should be mainly Anti tank, and should be heavily (more then now) resistant to infantry based AV weapons, and at the same time the MBTs AI capabilities should be more or less area denial (Large radius and low damage)

Ummm... Libs are easy mode for killing ESFs, not the other way around. An get this super narrow minded lazy design out of your head, size = / = armor. The size of the lib should be purely for being able to house the large weapon platforms and still maintain flight. Only way Libs would be balanced in their current form is if they had to lock into a hover mode before the gunners were able to use their weapons.
  14. Vixxing

The size of the lib means you can hit it with 100% acc with ease from 400m, while it cannot fire back... so tell me again how a lib can easily take out anything but brainless pilots...
  15. Vikarius

I am going to request you re-read what you wrote in hopes you will see how completely ignorant it sounds, I even bolded to help you out.

Also, and this is just a suggestion, the more and more defensive you get the more it sounds like your motive is not balance but the continuation of abuse of something you know is broken.
    • Up x 2
  16. Scr1nRusher

which is probably liberator durability to freaking everything.
  17. Vixxing

If you cant hit a lib from 400m with a rotary you are a piss-poor pilot...
  18. Scr1nRusher

let me show you the damage & range of the rotaries.

Also keep in mind rotaries have really bad drop and lower velocity, and are close range AA weapons.

AT From 0-130 meters the Rotory does 320 damage.

From 130 meters to 230 meters the damage drops to 210 damage which is the max minimum drop off damage.

you cannot hit a Liberator at 400m consistently/accurately or even at all because of the drop and if by some sheer miracle you do, you will only tickle them.
  19. Gundem

20. Scr1nRusher

it also effects lock on rockets & dumbfire rockets.

by 300 less splash damage, which doesn't effect its role as a Tank killer weapon.

they need to buff this weapon.
    • Up x 1