3.4 Dot Scope showing strange color changes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Groucho Marxist, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Groucho Marxist

I've been noticing this for a while and simply tried to just tolerate it, but now it's starting to get to be unbearable. The color of the DOT on my 3.4 dot sights often changes brightness, and at times is pretty much black and unusable (mostly at night or in otherwise dark-ish areas)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvtss9f45so5pyc/Dot-Sights.gif (sorry if this GIF doesn't work.)

I took these screen shots on High overall settings, and use an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series graphics adapter.
  2. Amundsenkalmah

I noticed the color changes depending on which camo do you have equipped (dont know if weapon only or armor too).
    So...
  3. Groucho Marxist

I mean the color of the dot, not the scope itself.
  4. DarthSpectrum

I know the answer to your problem, but it won't entail a solution. I too have purchased the 3.4x dot scope, for the Jaguar on my TR toon, around 3 months ago. I solely used that scope for that gun, and have gotten ~800 kills on it. After a couple of days I noticed that the dot could vary from dark red to glowing-red in colour.

After a couple of battles, I figured out why this happens. Apparently, based on my observations the brightness of the dot has a negative coloration with overall environmental lighting.

In other words:
    Day time + Outdoors = Dark dot
    Night Time + Indoors = Bright dot

Now, this mechanic in theory sounds nice and all, but I am sure that you have also realized that the dot won't change settings based on the object you are looking at. This leads to scenarios where you may be under a shaded region, but the dot will remain dark because it is still bright outside a few feet away from you. Hence, the cause of this problem.

As far as I know, there isn't a solution. I just learned to adapt to it. Eventually, you will intuitively know around where the "center" of your scope is anyway.
    • Up x 1
  5. Groucho Marxist

Except Night Time + Outdoors = dark dot which is pretty much useless if you're using something that can't use a NV scope (or want to fight at ranges outside of it) Also I used to NOT have this problem so I don't know what the deal is now.
  6. DarthSpectrum

Yeah, the dark dot during night time thing is definitely weird. Does relogging effect it at all? It could be your character desyncing.
    SOE could just simply add a "dot light always on" option, as long as you can deal with the occasionally annoying glow during daytime as well.

But, given the numerous other QOL improvements that should be mandatory but are missing from this game, my suggestion probably is never going to happen.
  7. Groucho Marxist

Made even more annoying because I'm still having this problem after the update:

[IMG]
    Took this just a few minutes ago. Kept the date and time in as proof. Updated the game an hour or two ago.
  8. Gleerok

Happens all the time, it is not unusual, at all.
  9. Stopper

The x2 scope is a perfectly red dot, usable in all settings : we should have the same bright red on the x3.4...
  10. Amundsenkalmah

Lol I know you were talking about the dot not the scope.
    I tested this a few months ago so I'm not sure if is the same now, but when I equipped a purple camp for my bank and a 3.4 scope the dot was purple, black when the camp was black and so...
  11. Amundsenkalmah

12. Drogra

My 3.4x Red dot scopes are the same, the darker the environment, the darker the dot, making it not usable on most of Amerish, and at night anywhere outdoors. This has been a problem for a while for me, and makes it really frustrating with the MSW-R and the CARV as the 4x is useless on those guns, and there is no 2x for those guns.
  13. Stopper

This bug is still not fixed.

I hope it will be fixed in the next patch if there should be lots of bugs fix.
  14. AlCohonez

Anybody has a workaround to get the red dot red again? I've played with some old weapons and I see that my NC6 saw used to have a red dot now has a black no matter what time of the day or environment I'm playing - rather annoying!